Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   TIP - Dashcam whilst towing. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221885)

c_lee Jan 17th, 2015 00:12

TIP - Dashcam whilst towing.

I bought a Drivepro 200 dash-cam about 6 months ago and am pleased with it.

The main reason for buying was for use when towing my caravan as it often seems that some people are keen to pull out of side roads when my caravan outfit is too close for them to do so safely.

IE: the ' don't want to get stuck behind a caravan ' mentality .

When I bought the cam I also bought the optional suction mount and that is the one I use in the the car when not towing.

When towing I mount the cam onto the supplied standard sticky mount which is fixed to the top centre inside of the caravan front window.

This way I get a good overall view of the whole car surroundings recorded, sides as well in case of a side impact, when towing.
Car brake lights, indicators and marker lights are recorded too.

The cam is also then powered from the independent 12v caravan supply and continues to record even when the car's ignition is turned off.

Might be of interest for dash-cam users.

Colin

Elscint Feb 1st, 2015 20:18

Colin,
Good idea but does the camera G sensor ever trigger? I have the same camera installed in my V70 and notice that even on the least sensitive setting it will trigger emergency recordings sometimes if I go over a speed bump or worse still a pothole!

c_lee Feb 2nd, 2015 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elscint (Post 1840750)
Colin,
Good idea but does the camera G sensor ever trigger? I have the same camera installed in my V70 and notice that even on the least sensitive setting it will trigger emergency recordings sometimes if I go over a speed bump or worse still a pothole!

I set the G sensor to the least sensitive setting too, but it does trigger occasionally.

But, IIRC from the handbook, it always leaves ample space for quite a lot of the most recent recorded events outside emergency mode.
It won't fill up the SD card with write protected files.

So, even on a trip of several hours in summer 2014, there were quite a lot of most recent recorded events to view that were not write protected.

Colin

tphilly Feb 7th, 2015 21:22

I have the same Dashcam in my van. I like the fact that I can connect my phone to it with the built in WiFi. I wonder if you can put it in the rear window and use it to reverse with?

c_lee Feb 7th, 2015 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tphilly (Post 1845014)
I have the same Dashcam in my van. I like the fact that I can connect my phone to it with the built in WiFi. I wonder if you can put it in the rear window and use it to reverse with?

Yes I thought about that too, it would have been handy.

But the app isn't compatible with my Android smartphone ( a Samsung ) apparently, even though it was new in 2014.

Colin

tphilly Feb 8th, 2015 09:48

I have the galaxy S5. It works with that. Where abouts in the North West are you? My parents and grandparents used to be with the North West BCC.

c_lee Feb 8th, 2015 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tphilly (Post 1845237)
I have the galaxy S5. It works with that. Where abouts in the North West are you? My parents and grandparents used to be with the North West BCC.

We are in Leigh.

We do THS's and sometimes rallies with the C & CC but haven't attended any of the BCC ones - yet.

Colin