Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   European Traffic Police - Speed Enforcement Week (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=160463)

Ninja59 Aug 20th, 2012 15:53

European Traffic Police - Speed Enforcement Week

Just a little warning to everyone it is EU wide speed enforcement week from today (20th August) be careful out there ladies and gents.

Quote:

A week-long speed enforcement operation, co-ordinated by the European Traffic Police Network (TISPOL) and supported by 27 countries across Europe, begins today (Monday 20 August 2012).

The operation, which involves both static speed detection and roadside officer intervention, forms a key part of TISPOL’s strategy designed to reduce the number of people killed and seriously injured on Europe’s roads.

Excessive speeding is among the three road killers and is a leading cause of road accidents in young people aged between 18 and 25.

TISPOL president Pasi Kemppainen warns: “Driving too fast is dangerous – potentially fatal. This applies whether you are exceeding a specific speed limit or driving at a speed that may be at or below the limit, but is inappropriate for the circumstances. The faster you drive, the higher your risk of being responsible for a collision, in which innocent road users might lose their lives or sustain permanent disability.

“Wise drivers of any age choose their speeds with care and with consideration to others. Those who choose otherwise can expect to receive penalties. Police officers enforce the law because they know that lives will be saved.”
http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2012...eration/44528/

dew1911 Aug 20th, 2012 16:04

"Excessive speeding is among the three road killers and is a leading cause of road accidents in young people aged between 18 and 25."

No it isn't. Very few people have died from "Excessive Speed". Usually it's sudden deceleration that gets them...

Daim Aug 20th, 2012 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by dew1911 (Post 1230899)
"Excessive speeding is among the three road killers and is a leading cause of road accidents in young people aged between 18 and 25."

No it isn't. Very few people have died from "Excessive Speed". Usually it's sudden deceleration that gets them...

Very true...

"Speed doesn't kill. Slowing down within milliseconds does!" :D

Know what the best brake in the world is? A 100 year old oak tree!

mikealder Aug 20th, 2012 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1230900)
Know what the best brake in the world is? A 100 year old oak tree!

Use of said wooden tree as a brake will break the car and its occupants :hidesbehindsofa: - Mike

jaygee Aug 20th, 2012 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealder (Post 1231007)
Use of said wooden tree as a brake will break the car and its occupants :hidesbehindsofa: - Mike

Would it not be the car that does the killing, even if it did hit a tree?

Does a tree make a sound when it falls with no one around to hear it?

Daim Aug 20th, 2012 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaygee (Post 1231018)
Would it not be the car that does the killing, even if it did hit a tree?

Does a tree make a sound when it falls with no one around to hear it?

Are we real or are we in the matrix?

Marty Dolomite Aug 20th, 2012 19:49

It is inappropiate speed that is being targetted not general speeding, for instance recently a new inexperianced driver hit an oncoming car on a country lane, he was doing 60 (but I wasn't speeding officer) and the oncoming car was doing about 20-25mph and had pulled over to the left and stopped before being hit both cars were written off and the drivers luckily only suffered minor injuries.
The driver who in court still denied he was at fault because he wasn't speeding and claimed it was a 50/50 fault crash was found guilty of driving without due care and attention, banned for six months and ordered to take an extended driving course.

Daim Aug 20th, 2012 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite (Post 1231074)
It is inappropiate speed that is being targetted not general speeding, for instance recently a new inexperianced driver hit an oncoming car on a country lane, he was doing 60 (but I wasn't speeding officer) and the oncoming car was doing about 20-25mph and had pulled over to the left and stopped before being hit both cars were written off and the drivers luckily only suffered minor injuries.
The driver who in court still denied he was at fault because he wasn't speeding and claimed it was a 50/50 fault crash was found guilty of driving without due care and attention, banned for six months and ordered to take an extended driving course.

Then of course is the problem:

What is the appropriate speed?

If I am driving within the set limit, then it is appropriate. If I am below it, is this appropriate? No, as I more or less force other drivers to react differently and head into a dangerous situation. If I drive too fast (or even just accelerated) then of course again, I am at risk to everyone on the road in the near.

Then: is the limit driven appropriate to the given conditions? Is the road maybe slightly dirty/gritty? Could a horse/cow/sheep run out in front of me?

And on top: is my speed I was driving that, the Police would use? Would he drive faster or slower?

Appropriate speeds are all down to own ratings.

Everyone should think: "Am I driving like I would or like I should?"

60041 Aug 20th, 2012 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1231082)

If I am driving within the set limit, then it is appropriate. If I am below it, is this appropriate? No, as I more or less force other drivers to react differently and head into a dangerous situation. If I drive too fast (or even just accelerated) then of course again, I am at risk to everyone on the road in the near.

Then: is the limit driven appropriate to the given conditions? Is the road maybe slightly dirty/gritty? Could a horse/cow/sheep run out in front of me?

And that, in a nutshell, is the essence of an experienced driver: to know (and drive at) the correct speed for the prevailing conditions

chris-oxon Aug 20th, 2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daim (Post 1231082)

And on top: is my speed I was driving that, the Police would use? Would he drive faster or slower?

I would also suggest this thought:

On a single carriage way road in particular, what would happen if I met myself coming the other way driving in the same manner....?