Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V90 Numberplate screw picture help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282977)

Chief inspector Jun 14th, 2018 21:28

V90 Numberplate screw picture help

The dealer stuck my front plate on with tape, it lasted 3 days.....

I dont want to go sticking a screw through a hose or wiring, so could someone maybe post a photo of where theirs is screwed so I can copy it please?

Dealer is 300 miles away, screws are £1.00.

Haldex Jun 14th, 2018 22:02

No hoses or wiring behind the bumper cover- just styrofoam.. drill away! :tounge_smile:

Director76 Jun 14th, 2018 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief inspector (Post 2414400)

I dont want to go sticking a screw through a hose or wiring, so could someone maybe post a photo of where theirs is screwed so I can copy it please?

There is a black plastic mount for the front plate, with a short plate screw I doubt you’d even penetrate the bumper beneath.

My dealer did same - front plate was held on with tape and fell of, literally, when I touched it as I was about to screw it on!

Baxlin Jun 14th, 2018 23:04

I understand when drilling the actual plate, it should be done from the back, as drilling from the front can separate the layers.

Chief inspector Jun 14th, 2018 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Director76 (Post 2414440)
There is a black plastic mount for the front plate, with a short plate screw I doubt you’d even penetrate the bumper beneath.

My dealer did same - front plate was held on with tape and fell of, literally, when I touched it as I was about to screw it on!

I dont think there is a mount behind mine (its a V90), its nearly off and all I can see is bumper

Director76 Jun 14th, 2018 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief inspector (Post 2414444)
I dont think there is a mount behind mine (its a V90), its nearly off and all I can see is bumper

Oh...maybe that’s an XC thing, I assumed all the 90s would be the same

4x4 Jun 14th, 2018 23:48

Buy a good quality sticky tape, clean both surfaces with a alcohol wipe, apply a little heat from a hair dryer then stick together and apply a little more heat whilst applying pressure over the sticky pad area with a cloth

Quacker Jun 15th, 2018 00:52

Same happened to mine. Luckily it fell off on my yard.
Seems to be a trend. A year earlier I went to Goodwood for theFestival of Speed in a loose convoy with a couple of friends. I was driving my newish Honda CRV. We’d gone about 200 miles and I was driving into the parking bay at the hotel, and friends were following. As I came to a stop the rear plate fell off and they saw it happening. What were the chances of that, after all that distance and maybe 5000 miles total on the car?

Converted Jun 15th, 2018 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief inspector (Post 2414400)

I remember back in the days when I bought a car from Belgium because the pound was so strong and then I fitted the uk plate myself, I bought the thick double sided pads (not the thin tape) designed specially for number plate use from Halfords. I used at least 9 individual pads per plate and it was near impossible to take the plate off when I sold the car two years later...

Chief inspector Jun 15th, 2018 18:06

Thanks all, I wont be using pads, the reason its coming off is that the bumper slopes in sharply downwards, so its just peeling it off, I would re-tape if it was flatter.