Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Original Volvo Wipers (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300995)

Halichopter Nov 27th, 2019 00:34

Original Volvo Wipers

After a little over a year my XC-40 wipers streak. I have cleaned the wipers with windshield fluid and paper towels and they still streak. I inquired at my dealer whether new wipers purchased from them would have a warranty, I was told no.

I've looked online for 'Original' OEM Volvo wipers and have found a number of sites. They all seem to have a 1 year warranty at least. Anybody have a favorite reliable source for original Volvo parts, in this case specifically wipers?

green van man Nov 27th, 2019 06:12

I used to buy volvo wipers from the dealer, I now buy Boche wipers from halfords with the trade card. As good as the volvo ones and a lot cheaper.
I only use volvo washer fluid, baught from dealer.

Paul.

JRL Nov 27th, 2019 06:25

Volvo don't make the wipers. Companies like Bosch do and then supply Volvo so just buy Bosch or equivalent.

I bought Bosch from here https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/ Excellent service and a good price. Wipers are good too!

ksmi Nov 27th, 2019 08:02

A Clean Sweep?

Morning all, Has anybody tried the Michelin branded wipers on sale currently in Lidl?

Regards,Keith.

Clan Nov 27th, 2019 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRL (Post 2575641)
Volvo don't make the wipers. Companies like Bosch do and then supply Volvo so just buy Bosch or equivalent.

I bought Bosch from here https://www.wiperblades.co.uk/ Excellent service and a good price. Wipers are good too!

It doesn't work like that .. Volvo specify to Bosch what they want and how long they want them to last etc . Volvo do not use Bosch now but when they did they lasted 4 times longer ( 3 winters ) than the Halfords Bosch ( 9 months in my case ) , You get what you pay for ..

volvo always Nov 27th, 2019 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2575695)
It doesn't work like that .. Volvo specify to Bosch what they want and how long they want them to last etc . Volvo do not use Bosch now but when they did they lasted 4 times longer ( 3 winters ) than the Halfords Bosch ( 9 months in my case ) , You get what you pay for ..

I had a set from FRF on my 240 and still great 4 years later!

Got Bosch from Ebay on my 940 and Lexus IS and they were not great when fitted and now less than a year later awful! Lexus they skip and smear/ leave lines.

James.

Clan Nov 27th, 2019 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo always (Post 2575732)
I had a set from FRF on my 240 and still great 4 years later!

Got Bosch from Ebay on my 940 and Lexus IS and they were not great when fitted and now less than a year later awful! Lexus they skip and smear/ leave lines.

James.

Yes that is usual in my long experience going back to the 1970's .. Bosch make about 3 different qualities of blade appropriatly prices , also ball bearings are available it at least 3 different qualities for the same size bearing , Prices accordingly of course .

Volvos current blades ( Valeo I Believe ) still last about 3 seasons , and warranty are sympathetic if there is a problem .

ITSv40 Nov 27th, 2019 16:39

I agree with the above comments regarding longevity of genuine Volvo wipers. However, I have fitted Bosch Aerotwin blades on both the V40 and 'er indoors Mini Cooper. They have been on the V40 for 4 winters and still good and 3 winters on the Mini, again still all good. The Mini screen is particularly sensitive to poor wipers and traffic film due to its upright nature. I have genuine Volvo wipers on the C70 due to wanting to keep it original, however, they are extremely good, but I have only used them a few times and for testing at MOT time.

dcw Nov 27th, 2019 16:57

I've always used genuine Volvo wipers for years now - they're good quality and they last well in my experience. Gutted when 400 series wipers finally became N/A! Like ITVs40, my C70 has genuine wipers that are now around 2 years old and remain faultless.

From what I have been told at times by my local parts department, I always understood they had a year's warranty on them...

David

StanC Nov 27th, 2019 17:14

I agree with everything that has been said here and would just add another comment.

I don't know what the shelf life of windscreen wipers is but presumably the rubber does deteriorate with age regardless of how much the wipers are used. I bought new Volvo wipers for my 1996 960 from my local AD earlier this year and the stores guy dropped the information that the wipers he had just sold me had been on their shelf for about three years! According to him the typical Volvo owner just goes to Halfords for things like wipers because they are cheaper than the AD and Volvo wipers, certainly for older models, are likely to have been manufactured some years before the point of sale. Halfords, on the other hand, have a reasonable turnover, so their wipers don't sit on a shelf for years before sale.

My 960 doesn't do many miles these days so in future I'm just going to use Bosch wipers from Halfords and replace them every couple of years.

Stan.