Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   D5 163bhp ECM-2505 limp mode (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300719)

dstc Nov 18th, 2019 13:10

D5 163bhp ECM-2505 limp mode

Hi. Our 53 reg XC90 with the D5 163bhp engine intermittently throws this code. I can't hook Vida up to it till tonight. So far my wife has been able to get about by cycling the ignition off and on again. So far I've been studying previous posts and it looks like it could be a faulty injector and or a high pressure fuel sensor. I checked the car with a cheap code reader which showed the ECM 2505 code. The fuel filter was changed for a genuine one a few years back. The injectors look like they are original. Hope the forum gurus can help me.

cheshired5 Nov 18th, 2019 13:41

Vida will give you all you need to know.
It will explain the circumstances of the code and the possible causes and fixes.

If you want alternative opinions, you can type the fault code into the forum search or Google where you'll find several discussions on the code.

gmonag Nov 18th, 2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstc (Post 2573010)
The fuel filter was changed for a genuine one a few years back.

The fuel filter should be replaced every 2 years. I do not advocate guessing, but I would check that first.

dstc Nov 23rd, 2019 10:47

Fuel filter cap is stuck

I just tried to change the fuel filter cap and the garage have refitted the cap with an impact gun. Its stuck and I can't get it off. Any advice?

I've got Vida going. How can I check how much the injectors are leaking back.

I have been able to plot a graph of rail pressure during startup.

dstc Nov 23rd, 2019 13:25

It's fixed

I took the fuel regulator off. Cleaned it. Refitted it. Now I have a low pressure warning, but it doesn't go in to limp mode. Ordering the replacement regulator from Volvo on Monday.

gmonag Nov 24th, 2019 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstc (Post 2574617)
I just tried to change the fuel filter cap and the garage have refitted the cap with an impact gun. Its stuck and I can't get it off. Any advice?

Really? You saw them do that? Take it back and get them to remove it.

However, if you have assumed that because it is tight - it is supposed to be tight. Get the right tool and you will get it off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-FILT...4383.l4275.c10

dstc Nov 25th, 2019 13:15

Great tool

That's a great tool to change the fuel filter. I've just ordered one now. Thanks for the headsup. It will take a little time to get here as it is coming from Poland.

I rang Volvo. The fuel regulator/ safety valve is £301 and the fuel sensor is £192. A new fuel rail is £600-odd. Do you know if EuroCarParts sell the parts?

I will change the fuel filter 1st, then do a leak back test, before changing the sensor and regulator.

dstc Nov 25th, 2019 13:20

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2573024)
Vida will give you all you need to know.
It will explain the circumstances of the code and the possible causes and fixes.

If you want alternative opinions, you can type the fault code into the forum search or Google where you'll find several discussions on the code.

Thanks CheshireD5 for commenting. You're the Vida guru. Can you point me in the right direction and how to interrogate the various sensors, etc. Thank you.

dstc Nov 28th, 2019 13:20

part No. 0281002841 - sensor

Ordered a sensor off ebay. The one on the 163bhp D5 has 2 pins, the one that was delivered has 3 pins. Back it goes. The seller was really helpful & gave me the part number 0281002841. On some listings it say it has been superceded by a new sensor, part number 0281006086. Need to message the sellers to find out if it'll fit the D5.

Anyone know the part number for the fuel regulator?

cheshired5 Nov 29th, 2019 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstc (Post 2575138)
Can you point me in the right direction and how to interrogate the various sensors, etc. Thank you.

Diagnostics >Vehicle Communication >ECM (from the overhead vehicle diagram) >Parameters
If you click on a fault code then click Information at the bottom left of the screen, it will explain the circumstances for the code and the possible causes and fixes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dstc (Post 2576052)
Anyone know the part number for the fuel regulator?

Vida contains a comprehensive parts catalogue so you can find the exact part for your vehicle profile without having to rely on parts sellers sending you the wrong stuff.