Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   misfuel (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138756)

reggie59 Nov 15th, 2011 12:07

misfuel

Here we are. put 12 ltrs of unleaded in my D5 this morning. Realised, stopped and called Volvo. I did not start the car.

Cars is a the dealer now.

Cost? £800

Ron_XC90 Nov 15th, 2011 12:11

Ouch... All that needs doing is drain the tank, as you didn't start the engine?

reggie59 Nov 15th, 2011 12:14

no I did not start.
reg

waylander Nov 15th, 2011 12:15

£800??? WOW!!!! seems a tad pricey, did the same a couple of years back on an 09 Kuga local garage took care of it all for not much over £100

The Hooded Claw Nov 15th, 2011 13:07

BUGGER THAT!!! As Ron said .. you didn't start the engine so a quick Tank Drain & yer all sorted .... Someone is taking the P!SS here ...

Your Fuel lines are STILL Full of Diesel (Coz you didn't start it) just a drain out of the "Mixed" fuel & your all Sorted

Keith

Beavis Nov 15th, 2011 13:35

would 12 litres of unleaded not disperse safely enough into the remaining 58 litres of diesel? i thought i heard that years ago people used to stick a little unleaded into diesels in the winter (but thats probably changed now).

waylander Nov 15th, 2011 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuT4 (Post 1026233)
would 12 litres of unleaded not disperse safely enough into the remaining 58 litres of diesel? i thought i heard that years ago people used to stick a little unleaded into diesels in the winter (but thats probably changed now).

years ago it like as not didn't make a huge difference, diesels these days are a LOT more sophisticated

reggie59 Nov 15th, 2011 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuT4 (Post 1026233)

No I did not start the engine. Maybe it would have been fine but did not want to take the risk. The mistake I made was to contact Volvo. I should have contacted my local garage and asked them to drain the tank.

Just had a conversation with Volvo UK and she advised me to try another Volvo dealer... well yes... I will spend my next few days callign all Volvo dealer in the country.

The lady did not even know Ford and other manufacturers have special diesel cap fitted now.

Called my local Volvo dealer again and he proposed to only drain tank but I will have to sign a form making my warranty void on engine/exhaust and injectors. £300.

I will do that.

Another Volvo in 12 months time to replace my currently 2 year old xc90?

No thanks Volvo.

Reg

reggie59 Nov 15th, 2011 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by waylander (Post 1026248)
years ago it like as not didn't make a huge difference, diesels these days are a LOT more sophisticated

No. Nowaways, dealers are money making machine.

reggie59 Nov 15th, 2011 14:25

right, I am too annoyed with Volvo now. So, will get the car back, pay £300 and leave the forum for a while.

I will forget about the warranty as well.

But, to be sure my experience is not wasted.

If it happens to you. Just call local garage and get it done independantly.

Volvo is just taking the **** but I would not be surprised if others do exactly the same.

I