Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   2018 xc60 inscription - speed camera warning (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281337)

beccles May 2nd, 2018 11:30

2018 xc60 inscription - speed camera warning

just swapped my 2017 r-design for the latest 2018 inscription. On the r-design i got an audible warning for speed cameras. On the new one i don't. Not sure if i get a dash warning (not driven it much yet but have noticed a profound silence when going through speed cameras!) but tbh a dash warning is not a lot of use if that's all i get.i can't be driving along looking at the dash all the time! Can i get an audible warning? if not then this is a surprising omission from volvo and a backward step..

mike95 May 2nd, 2018 23:32

Unfortunately there is no audible warning for speed cameras.

I agree with you that it is a backward step and a little annoying. I would imagine that it would be a simple software upgrade to fix it but I haven't heard of any plans to do it.

Mike

beccles May 3rd, 2018 11:00

thanks for the reply. I've since investigated a little more, and in fact you can get an audible warning for cameras, but it's inseparable from various other warnings, e.g. some road signs, speed limit etc. It annoyingly goes off if i hit 31 in a 30 for example and i then have to look at the dash to see what kind of warning it is.. if it's a speed camera it shows a little camera icon.. Meanwhile i've gone into the back of the car in front that has stopped suddenly while i'm not looking!
No doubt this is a great car with some nice touches but it does have some niggles.. e.g. the fuel gauge is very small and tucked away at the bottom of the dial, it often gets speed limits wrong, the foot opening boot hardly ever works, the menus are far too fussy.. I've switched SIPS on via the menus but it doesn't seem to work. The heads up display doesn't give much info and though there's a menu option to taylor what you see there, you don't actually get the option to change anything... For some features a button would suffice! Love the car, but much preferred the controls for everything as in the 2017 model.. easier and safer!!

mike95 May 3rd, 2018 23:19

As far as I am aware the audible warning is just for the road sign speed limit, etc. and not linked to the speed camera at all.

Mike

beccles May 4th, 2018 20:40

having driven the car a bit more now, i think you're right Mike. What a ridiculous omission! yes you do get a silent warning icon in the heads-up display, but you can't see that if you're wearing polaroids, and it doesn't pick up all cameras anyway.
i read that volvo say no-one will die in a volvo in a few years. Maybe, but a hell a lot of them will get speeding tickets!!

meanwhile, back to the tomtom!

MaDProFF May 8th, 2018 11:39

In the Past I have used the Pocket GPS speeding database, it is for many makes of sat navs.
I did notice a post for Volvo on the forums, but not sure if they got it working, it is installed as a poi on most systems, it will be something I will try to install when I get my XC60 in a month or two.

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com

They have been around for years, it is now subs, but you can try it first, database is updated weekly if not less sometimes.

I also use it on my iPhone, if need, and that should give you a warning if you are listening to music etc.

jonhedgerows May 24th, 2018 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccles (Post 2400166)
having driven the car a bit more now, i think you're right Mike. What a ridiculous omission! yes you do get a silent warning icon in the heads-up display, but you can't see that if you're wearing polaroids, and it doesn't pick up all cameras anyway.

not sure if the 2018 and 2019MY are different on this, but on my 2019MY XC60 you have to turn on the audible warning:
Settings / My Car / Intellisafe / Road Sign Information / Speed Camera Audio Warning (I think... it's definitely buried in there somewhere)

Jon

molsal Jul 28th, 2018 00:12

I have audible warning for speed cameras, enabled as detailed by Jon.

MaDProFF Jul 28th, 2018 17:26

I also have audible warning, and an icon in dash, not all cameras are on the data base, though not downloaded latest maps, it does show some average cameras, it is mobiles I think it does not show. (the most important :()

Whippy Jul 28th, 2018 18:50

Or, radical idea I know but, you could just obey the speed limits.