Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   ETM Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   General: Do I need software update when replacing ETM? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66898)

bloto Feb 19th, 2009 20:22

Do I need software update when replacing ETM?

Hello,

I am going to replace my 8644346 old ETM with new Yellow one 8644347 in my S60 2.4T 2001 because I am afraid that I may be in danger because of it. It happened 2 times for me that when I pressed accelerator to maximum position the car went to reduced power mode and I had to stop it. Lets imagine that sitiuation when you overtake another car. As a result I would for sure not wory about that ETM anymore.

Do I need to go to software update of my car after device replacement or will it work?
Has anyone tested it without software update?
Would it be possible to resolder circuit board from old device to avoid software update?

Thank you,
Regards,
Tomasz

NickBW Feb 27th, 2009 23:45

Yes acording to Vadis. I had ETM replacement eight months ago. Dealer made no mention of software upgrade so assuming it was not done - Stealer has to pay Volvo for software download - I find most dealers pretty untrustworthy all PR Marketing and dishonesty. I worked for a mixed franchise group long enough to know not to trust most of them. I tell them exactly what I want done and go over everything in fine detail. (I do most servicing myself anyway). So it will work but not optimally. Be warned this fault will reoccur in time so use best quality petro oil and change both plus filters oil air frequently. 3000 is my choice with XC70!

bloto Mar 3rd, 2009 20:27

I really don't know what to do next. I would like to do it myself, I mean replacement and if it will work thats fine but If not then I will need to place it back and go to dealer for software upload and replacement.

Do you think ETM has some standard software inside or its just empty?

bloto Mar 22nd, 2009 15:34

Anwering my own question, nobody seems to know...

- It is needed to do software update.
- yes it will work If you resolder circuit board between 8644346 and 8644347

Clan Mar 22nd, 2009 16:42

No a new one wont work without a re-load software , why not fit it yourself and tow it in for the software?
You wont swap the circuit boards inside , they are bonded to the alloy heatsink . Long gone are the days of soldered connections and PCB's they are high tech welded wires and connected to each other with wire so fine you cant see it and then its all encased in a jelly substance ...

jrtonks Mar 23rd, 2009 21:01

DIY ETM replacement

I wanted to have a crack at mine myself too - but the dealer said it wouldn't work. How much should one have to pay for the ETM replacement?

kevin derby uk Mar 25th, 2009 22:25

i just got fed up and payed Nottingham Volvo dealer £165 for the EMT and had it fitted in derby for £84 = derby wanted £227 for the EMT. the car now drives brill on petrol but still stalls sometimes on gas CNG but I'm getting there. of course if any ones got any ides please feel free to comment

billadam Jun 10th, 2009 06:24

General: Do I need software update when replacing ETM?

As for software for the ETM upgrade, it may overwrite the ECU calibrations but I couldn't tell you for sure without either the TNN/bulletin number or software download part number. If you have that info shoot me a PM or email or post up and I can find out for certain.:loser:

If downloads are available I recommend to get them done for modules like CEM, DIM, SRS, etc... Modules on the low speed network (firewall backward) will not usually affect the ECM calibaration software.