Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   DIM replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=171128)

gmonag Jan 20th, 2013 11:59

DIM replacement

I am about to replace the DIM on my MY2005 XC90 exec with a second hand unit. What do I do about software and the odometer reading afterwards?

Greg

Clan Jan 20th, 2013 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonag (Post 1333355)
I am about to replace the DIM on my MY2005 XC90 exec with a second hand unit. What do I do about software and the odometer reading afterwards?

Greg

They are individualy coded to the specific car i dont think it will work , best get your original repaired .... there is a company on here which does them..

gmonag Jan 20th, 2013 12:08

I already did that but the fault persists, so replacement is the only option. The stealer wants £800 for a new part.

Clan Jan 20th, 2013 12:16

last time i looked the price was £660 inc vat for the unit fit it yourself which is easy and get the software done at the dealer no more than 20 minutes of his labour and a small charge for the software .

gmonag Jan 20th, 2013 12:29

Still a bit steep, compared to £90 inc VAT for a second hand part and 10 minutes of my time ti fit it!
Do you know the answer to my original question?

Greg

Clan Jan 20th, 2013 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonag (Post 1333387)
Still a bit steep, compared to £90 inc VAT for a second hand part and 10 minutes of my time ti fit it!
Do you know the answer to my original question?

Greg

The DIM ( As well as all the other modules in the car) has a serial number which is checked by the Main computer each time the car is started if they dont match it probably wont work this i spart of volvo's security system , you cant do anything with the software , only dealers can do that and they wont dabble with non approved modules , it can cost you money and them time when it doesnt work and CAN leave the car in a dead state , will you pay them to sort that out ? .
Mileage is stored on the main computer and the DIM , if you replace one by a new module the mileage automaticaly is transfered from the other .

The guy on here does exchange DIMs i believe ... best have a chat with him ..

andreasb Jan 20th, 2013 15:37

The mileage is stored both in the DIM and CEM. If you replace the DIM the new one will show the highest mileage of the two (new DIM vs CEM). It will *not* be automatically transfered. If you hook your car up with VIDA you'll get a warning saying the mileage might've been manipulated since they have different values stored. Your dealer can download the mileage to the replacement DIM. Not sure if they get it from the CEM or if they need the old DIM to do it.

There are *many* different DIMs to chose from, they vary from different model years, petrol/diesel, automatic/manual transmission. To be sure you get a second hand that works, find one with the same part number as yours.

Clan Jan 20th, 2013 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreasb (Post 1333540)
The mileage is stored both in the DIM and CEM. If you replace the DIM the new one will show the highest mileage of the two (new DIM vs CEM). It will *not* be automatically transfered. If you hook your car up with VIDA you'll get a warning saying the mileage might've been manipulated since they have different values stored. Your dealer can download the mileage to the replacement DIM. Not sure if they get it from the CEM or if they need the old DIM to do it.

There are *many* different DIMs to chose from, they vary from different model years, petrol/diesel, automatic/manual transmission. To be sure you get a second hand that works, find one with the same part number as yours.

Only if both the DIM and CEM are new ...

JohnL Jan 20th, 2013 16:32

Send a mail to this guy, he garanties his work Volvodiagnostic [contact@volvodiagnostic.com]
Just a satisfied customer
John

spokoluzik Jan 20th, 2013 20:59

If you have already replacement one can go for this option http://volvodiagnostic.com/shop/inde...roller=product
can also organize replacement unit with warranty.