Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> Articles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   XC40 - Do you need snow chains for the AWD model? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287999)

Oldmoondog Oct 28th, 2018 19:12

XC40 - Do you need snow chains for the AWD model?

Off to Switzerland in Dec and wondered if anyone knows whether or not you need snow chains in an AWD car? I know you are recommended to have winter tyres but SC's are a good alternative.

Typolee Oct 28th, 2018 22:32

I’ve got an xc90 awd fitted with winter tyres and they get me everywhere even in the deep snow early this year. Snow chains are no good on icy tarmac as you can’t use them as you would trash them. That’s where winter tyres come in. I drove through foot deep drifts last year with them with no hassle whatsoever. Think chains are only needed in really deep snow. We are driving to Italy Abruzzo at Christmas and have got to drive through Switzerland so I’m glad I’ve got my winter tyres on. Taking a set of chains as it’s compulsory in the mountainous regions of Italy which is where we are going. Two years ago they had 2 metres of snow so even chains won’t make a difference in that depth haha

Typolee Oct 28th, 2018 22:34

Oh and I think you would have to barmy to drove on summer tyres in Switzerland in winter! You can get sheet ice across the motorways when near the lakes such as Lugano as the damp air freezes easily by the lakes.

Julianpms Oct 29th, 2018 09:13

Snow chains are required in some specific locations and will be signposted locally. If you are going to be staying in a particular area and are concerned about specific roads, it's worth contacting the local tourist office or the TCS (Touring Club Suisse) in advance.

IainG Oct 29th, 2018 09:35

Hi
In my 2 wheel drive car with winter tyres on last winter I carried on driving past some 4 wd cars on summer tyres struggling or stuck in the snow.
Good winter tyres would be essential and cannot sensibly be replaced with summer tyres and chains, if driving on snow and ice, or even in low temperatures.
Winter tyres (with chains carried as a back up) would be sensible. Chains to be used as needed or as required on certain roads. Along with some sensible driving.
Iain

Whippy Nov 2nd, 2018 19:17

Certain roads in winter will be closed to any vehicle not equipped with either chains or studs. Penalties are severe

ksmi Nov 3rd, 2018 10:01

Slip sliding away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmoondog (Post 2461735)
Off to Switzerland in Dec and wondered if anyone knows whether or not you need snow chains in an AWD car? I know you are recommended to have winter tyres but SC's are a good alternative.

Morning O.M.D., If you do decide to go for winter tyres,may I suggest,a bit narrower & taller profile? If you give Michelin a bell,they will advise on this and will tell you which size would give correct speedo reading.Don't forget,when it gets real slippery, SMOOTH driving is king!

Regards,Keith.