Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   AWD Haldex and diff issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=241164)

AustenAWD Dec 9th, 2015 13:01

AWD Haldex and diff issues

Hi all new to the forum. I currently fix Freelander 2 transmissions (diffs and haldex), but am starting get inquiries about the Volvo units. Id like to try and help, but need to collate as much info as possible so i can try and cure the symptom/problems described. I know the Freelander inside out but not had the pleasure of getting my hands dirty with the volvo AWD units(or ford kuga). I understand that there are various vibrations and noises that look likely to be caused by the Haldex unit itself. The majority of problems in Freelanders is actually a diff failure which i can now fix but in a way that will prevent it happening again (its a design fault). Id really like to to do the same for the affected Volvo cars. So if anyone would like to go into a detail about their own experiences id be extremely grateful, and if anyone is currently suffering issues and cannot get a resolution im happy to investigate the car free of charge (this is what i did with the freelanders to come up with a robust solution)

Im not sure if the guy i initially spoke to about his XC60 is on here, but he was stuck in a battle with Volvo to sort his car out, and was going to get back in touch with me but i havent heard from him, so if you read this give me a shout as im in a better situation to help at the moment (i have brand new Haldex 4 units in stock for a lot less than Volvo!)

iain cooper Dec 9th, 2015 16:06

I don't think the diff issue is really a big a problem with the Volvo as it is with the freelander?

Iain

The Landshark Dec 12th, 2015 23:00

Pressure sensors and pump failures seem to be the biggest issues with the gen 3 haldex.
That and the haldex oil and filters not being changed

4candles Dec 14th, 2015 10:24

I have an 04 XC70 auto that has fairly comprehensive history and quite low mileage but i doubt the AWD has received much if any maintenance, i do see gear oil, gearbox oil and various filters on some of the service receipts but no details of exactly what was done.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this filter and the oil specs or any info you think is pertinent to this procedure as i think i'd like to change them out in the near future.

My thanks

4c

Acer Dec 15th, 2015 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Landshark (Post 2025773)
Pressure sensors and pump failures seem to be the biggest issues with the gen 3 haldex.
That and the haldex oil and filters not being changed

What are the symptoms of pump failures and what is the easiest way to test that it is working as expected (assuming all other AWD elements are fine)? You don't read a lot about pump failures in Volvos. Seems to be the spline sleeve and angle gear with a bit of DEM and DEM oil sensors chucked in for good measure!

deanoinmorley Dec 15th, 2015 23:42

My 2001 XC70 (non heldex) rear diff is constantly whining. If I take my foot of the accelerator it really does whine. I'm sure it's a bearing but can it be repaired and how difficult is it to remove and replace?

100K+ Dec 16th, 2015 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4candles (Post 2026352)
I have an 04 XC70 auto that has fairly comprehensive history and quite low mileage but i doubt the AWD has received much if any maintenance, i do see gear oil, gearbox oil and various filters on some of the service receipts but no details of exactly what was done.

Does anyone know the part numbers for this filter and the oil specs or any info you think is pertinent to this procedure as i think i'd like to change them out in the near future.

My thanks

4c

Rear Axel Oil Part No.1161620
Gear Box (Man) P/N31280771 need 2off
Angle Gear P/N 31259380
AOC P/N 31325136

DId not change filter. all P/N are for a V70AWD R 2004.
I bought an vacuum pump from machine mart to suck the old oil out.

Hope this help

Cheers

Bob

4candles Dec 17th, 2015 12:07

Thanks 100+k, i'm keener than ever to service the system now i've seen your new thread, will follow it with interest.:thumbs_up:

greyv70 Jul 25th, 2016 15:57

Hello AustenAWD
I would be interested to talk to you further about my car. I've owned the car since Feb this year and despite having been looked after quite well (FSH) the rear Haldex unit seems to have been a bit neglected and to my knowledge the AWD is currently not working.

The car has now done 115k miles and until recently the Haldex unit had no fluid and was completely caked in grime on the outside. I'm guessing a seal has gone somehow causing the fluid to leak out but I've no idea if the filters / pump are blocked as well as it is so difficult to get to.

I normally carry out my own car maintenance but this is a bit beyond me. If this is something that you'd be able to help me with please let me know how to contact you as I am unable to PM you thanks Chris

100K+ Aug 28th, 2016 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyv70 (Post 2145284)
Hello AustenAWD
I would be interested to talk to you further about my car. I've owned the car since Feb this year and despite having been looked after quite well (FSH) the rear Haldex unit seems to have been a bit neglected and to my knowledge the AWD is currently not working.

The car has now done 115k miles and until recently the Haldex unit had no fluid and was completely caked in grime on the outside. I'm guessing a seal has gone somehow causing the fluid to leak out but I've no idea if the filters / pump are blocked as well as it is so difficult to get to.

I normally carry out my own car maintenance but this is a bit beyond me. If this is something that you'd be able to help me with please let me know how to contact you as I am unable to PM you thanks Chris

What you need to do in order is get the car read with a DICE/VIDA. This will give you a great insight into what you need to do next. If you don't/cant you are feeling you way in the dark.
The DEM unit has a pressure gauge (small) and a control module (large) inside. The pressure gauge sometimes go faulty. If so VIDA/DICE will tell you.
VIDA DICE will also give you live pressure value data - might prove* the sensor works/don't work. see caviat.
Disconnect the pump lead and check the pump works with a 12volt battery- you will hear it running - If you need to change the pump you need to remove the prop shaft ( and 90% the exhaust too). The DEM controller suffers from water ingress damage, and sometimes gives " false" reading to the DEM
* due to DEM damage no pressure is shown on VIDA DICE which claims a pressure valve issue, when the PV is actually ok.- that caught me.
You can get your DEM unit checked out. I tried on company in Kent, who said the unit was fine, and then spent months trying to fix the AWD, when the DEM was infact faulty. Lukas, sorted me a referbed unit which is working great - no DTC'S and lots of AWD.

If you want to ask any questions just ask
Cheers

Bob.

colinbos Sep 20th, 2016 19:11

Hi all,

I have a 2008 D5 Manual. 113k on the clock.

Ive had a clicking noise from the front drivers wheel for ages. It transpires that the nearside/passenger/left driveshaft was knackered so I've just spent £500 replacing that with a volvo one. Ouch. Anyway, such is life.

What I was surprised to hear was the mechanic saying he believes the front Diff/Transfer box has excess backlash and is causing a little clunk sporadically.

Has anyone had this ?

I can hear (just about) a small clunk now and again when reversing up my drive or changing down a gear. Im a purist and would like the car right.

Any suggestions or recommendations for someone to look at the Diff/Transfer box ?

Im in Merseyside

colinbos Sep 21st, 2016 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinbos (Post 2169844)
Hi all,

I have a 2008 D5 Manual. 113k on the clock.

Ive had a clicking noise from the front drivers wheel for ages. It transpires that the nearside/passenger/left driveshaft was knackered so I've just spent £500 replacing that with a volvo one. Ouch. Anyway, such is life.

What I was surprised to hear was the mechanic saying he believes the front Diff/Transfer box has excess backlash and is causing a little clunk sporadically.

Has anyone had this ?

I can hear (just about) a small clunk now and again when reversing up my drive or changing down a gear. Im a purist and would like the car right.

Any suggestions or recommendations for someone to look at the Diff/Transfer box ?

Im in Merseyside

Cancel. Its the right lower engine mount. :thumbs_up:

Warkman Sep 29th, 2016 16:41

I have a 2002 xc70, and the Haldex seals are leaking.

I'm being told that you can't get the seals individually and the only way is a refurb or new Haldex.

Is this true? has anyone been able to source the seals?

100K+ Nov 12th, 2016 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warkman (Post 2174043)
I have a 2002 xc70, and the Haldex seals are leaking.

I'm being told that you can't get the seals individually and the only way is a refurb or new Haldex.

Is this true? has anyone been able to source the seals?

This site would appear to beg to differ

http://www.jimellisvolvoparts.com/sh...rimLevel=20459

Item No7 Part No.8675238. Its the only seal there though.

There is a gasket seal on the DEM controller (not shown) but I'd consider "gasket in a tube" of even silicon seal to seal it. Not pretty but effective.

Any repair you do will need prop shaft & exhaust removed = time. It might be "cheaper" depending how bad the leak, to refill the Haldex unit as it empties. Oil is about £15/litre and you can buy a lot of oil for the labour costs involved. ( a litre a month for 3 years would be about £500 which is I guess less than the repair labour cost)

Cheers
Bob

Jay850t5 Nov 20th, 2016 19:16

splined sleeve and angle gear!

Piskie Mar 6th, 2017 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustenAWD (Post 2024033)
Hi all new to the forum. I currently fix Freelander 2 transmissions (diffs and haldex), but am starting get inquiries about the Volvo units. Id like to try and help, but need to collate as much info as possible so i can try and cure the symptom/problems described. I know the Freelander inside out but not had the pleasure of getting my hands dirty with the volvo AWD units(or ford kuga). I understand that there are various vibrations and noises that look likely to be caused by the Haldex unit itself. The majority of problems in Freelanders is actually a diff failure which i can now fix but in a way that will prevent it happening again (its a design fault). Id really like to to do the same for the affected Volvo cars. So if anyone would like to go into a detail about their own experiences id be extremely grateful, and if anyone is currently suffering issues and cannot get a resolution im happy to investigate the car free of charge (this is what i did with the freelanders to come up with a robust solution)

Im not sure if the guy i initially spoke to about his XC60 is on here, but he was stuck in a battle with Volvo to sort his car out, and was going to get back in touch with me but i havent heard from him, so if you read this give me a shout as im in a better situation to help at the moment (i have brand new Haldex 4 units in stock for a lot less than Volvo!)

Wonder if you or anybody can help. I have a 2004 D5 XC90 with AWD problems. I had the car plugged into VIDA and it came back with a code faulty communication code with the DEM. I've had the DEM repaired by lukas at volvodignostics and the rear diff has had a new pump, filter and transmission oil, but still no AWD. The DEM code was cleared.

I suspected that it might be the splined sleeve in the transfer box and I've tried turning the prop with all four wheels on the ground and the prop spins freely. Also I've had the car up on a lift with all four wheels off the ground, put the car in drive, the front wheels spin but the rear wheels do not, and the prop does not turn.

I've just come back from the garage now and they have said that after clearing the DEM code, they took the car for a drive and it threw the code again.

So I have a few questions to try and help me determine whether it is the splined sleeve or an electronic issue. (1) is the transfer from the angle gear a direct drive or it it clutched ? (2) if the DEM is working and splined sleeve is worn would this throw a DEM communication code when the AWD doesn't engage ? (3) are there any other electrical issues that would throw the DEM code ? I don't have any other fault codes other than a boost pressure issue, but that's not related.

If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it. I've already thrown around £1200 at this issue and I'm no further forward. Starting to get desperate now !!!

luggsey Mar 6th, 2017 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piskie (Post 2244082)
Wonder if you or anybody can help. I have a 2004 D5 XC90 with AWD problems. I had the car plugged into VIDA and it came back with a code faulty communication code with the DEM. I've had the DEM repaired by lukas at volvodignostics and the rear diff has had a new pump, filter and transmission oil, but still no AWD. The DEM code was cleared.

I suspected that it might be the splined sleeve in the transfer box and I've tried turning the prop with all four wheels on the ground and the prop spins freely. Also I've had the car up on a lift with all four wheels off the ground, put the car in drive, the front wheels spin but the rear wheels do not, and the prop does not turn.

I've just come back from the garage now and they have said that after clearing the DEM code, they took the car for a drive and it threw the code again.

So I have a few questions to try and help me determine whether it is the splined sleeve or an electronic issue. (1) is the transfer from the angle gear a direct drive or it it clutched ? (2) if the DEM is working and splined sleeve is worn would this throw a DEM communication code when the AWD doesn't engage ? (3) are there any other electrical issues that would throw the DEM code ? I don't have any other fault codes other than a boost pressure issue, but that's not related.

If anybody can help I'd really appreciate it. I've already thrown around £1200 at this issue and I'm no further forward. Starting to get desperate now !!!

Sounds like your angle gear has stripped the spline if the prop turns freely.
There is a Volvo kit to repair, if your lucky there is no other damage.

Piskie Mar 6th, 2017 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by luggsey (Post 2244098)
Sounds like your angle gear has stripped the spline if the prop turns freely.
There is a Volvo kit to repair, if your lucky there is no other damage.

Thanks. That what I suspected. But why would a DEM code be throw againif the DEM has been repaired ? Would the car sensing that there is no AWD, throw this code ?

luggsey Mar 6th, 2017 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piskie (Post 2244105)
Thanks. That what I suspected. But why would a DEM code be throw againif the DEM has been repaired ? Would the car sensing that there is no AWD, throw this code ?

The dem may not report any problem when the angle gear splines are broken, several members report not realising their 4wD had failed until they got stuck!
If you like the car then I should fix the angle gear and see what happens.

Piskie Mar 6th, 2017 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by luggsey (Post 2244190)
The dem may not report any problem when the angle gear splines are broken, several members report not realising their 4wD had failed until they got stuck!
If you like the car then I should fix the angle gear and see what happens.

I like the car, I'm just concerned that fixing the sleeve still might not fix the AWD because of the DEM code, even though I've had the DEM repaired.

Just reading the DTC readout from VIDA and it says 'The DEM indicates to the BCM when four wheel drive is activated. A DTC is stored if the BCM registers that the signal from the DEM is missing, or if the signal indicates that four wheel drive is not working'

So my question is can the signal to/from the DEM to the BCM be working, but still throw a code if the four wheel drive isn't working (e.g. due to stripped sleeve) How does the car recognise that the four wheel drive isn't working if a signal is present ?

100K+ Apr 5th, 2017 09:34

My understanding of the system is that the Prop shaft should/will ALWAYS be turned by the car, as it constantly turns the Haldex input shaft.
The Haldex is a mechanical/electronic clutch unit where the rear wheel transmission "joins" the front wheel drive, via the Haldex input and haldex output shafts. The Haldex is controlled by the DEM.

If the Dem "can" recognise that the Haldex input shaft is not turning, it might be able to interpret this as a fault. Below is a list of how to check the DEM unit:-

DEM diagnostics follow this order:
1. With vehicle up in the air, ensure the rear driveshaft is turning when in gear.
2. If the driveshaft is not turning, remove the angle gear and inspect the coupling sleeve between the angle gear and transmission. If the splines are not stripped, replace the angle gear.
3. Check for codes in the CEM for communication faults.
4. If the driveshaft is spinning, access the Differential Electronic Module (DEM). If there is no communication with the DEM, check for power on the Blue/Red wire, ground (Brown and Black wires) and network integrity by checking resistance between the Green and White wire. With the battery disconnected, there should be 60 ohms between the two wires.
5. Check the Active On Demand Coupling (AOC) oil pump for proper operation. After startup, the DEM will apply power and ground to the oil pump and you should be able to hear it run. You can manually apply power and ground to it. If it does not run, replace the oil pump. The oil pump can draw excessive current and blow the fuse for the DEM, causing the lack of communication.
6. Check DEM live data and monitor the AOC oil pressure sensor. Key on engine off reading should be 0.00 (+/-.08MPa). Start engine and recheck. With the oil pump running, pressure should rise to .38 (+/-.08 MPa)

Good luck

Cheers
Bob

architect1 Jul 19th, 2017 13:59

Haldex whine XC60

Hi,
My experience was a whine/drone from the rear of the car at about 70mph, from new.
After nearly 3 years (!) and much too-ing and fro-ing with the dealer, this was traced to the Haldex unit by a Volvo engineer who eventually graced the garage with his presence and almost immediately identified the cause of the noise.
The Haldex unit is allegedly "sealed for life" and there is no mention of opening it in the Volvo service guidance at that time.
The engineer said "open the unit and clean it out". The garage found extremely fine millings in the oil which had collected in the filter. Assume because the unit had not been adequately rinsed during manufacture.
Cleaned out, new filter, reassembled - problem solved.
Given the speed with which the Volvo engineer traced the problem we can only assume that he had encountered the fault in other cars.
Volvo do not acknowledge that this is a repeated problem.

100K+ Jul 27th, 2017 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by architect1 (Post 2298966)
The Haldex unit is allegedly "sealed for life" and there is no mention of opening it in the Volvo service guidance at that time.

Strange that VW/Audi service the oil and filter every 20K and 40K in their haldex units, but then again they have better access to the components. On the Volvo VIDA requires that you remove the exhaust and prop shaft @ mega £ /hour labour to get access to a <£50 filter.
Call me a cynic, but I bet that's why its "sealed for life."
There's a similar "servicing arrangement" with their automatic transmission fluid too.

Cheers
Bob

Quacker Jul 29th, 2017 02:40

"sealed for life" seldom means precisely that. In transmission terms it usually goes with a fluid that keeps within spec for an average of 100,000 miles and gradually goes further below spec from then on, until the gearbox or transaxle probably fails at between 150k and 180k. Oil changes starting at 80k and then every 50k or so might well extend the service life by another 50k to 100k miles.

It all depends on whether the car is expected to last much more than 150,000 miles or 15 years, which is about as much as most cars tend to last before being crushed.

As to the Haldex rear transmission specifically, I have zero experience of its service life or requirements but suspect that it will benefit in the same way as automatic transmissions as explained above, possibly at shorter intervals but that's only a guess.
I do have some experience with the Honda unit, which is very like earlier Haldex units in principle. Honda specify 80,000 mile change inervals I believe but mine started groaning at just over 50,000 miles, so I dumped the fluid and flushed it by changing one more time after maybe five miles, and the noise has gone. No filter on the Honda unit that I'm aware of.

Ray1962 Apr 15th, 2018 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2258225)
My understanding of the system is that the Prop shaft should/will ALWAYS be turned by the car, as it constantly turns the Haldex input shaft.
The Haldex is a mechanical/electronic clutch unit where the rear wheel transmission "joins" the front wheel drive, via the Haldex input and haldex output shafts. The Haldex is controlled by the DEM.

If the Dem "can" recognise that the Haldex input shaft is not turning, it might be able to interpret this as a fault. Below is a list of how to check the DEM unit:-

DEM diagnostics follow this order:
1. With vehicle up in the air, ensure the rear driveshaft is turning when in gear.
2. If the driveshaft is not turning, remove the angle gear and inspect the coupling sleeve between the angle gear and transmission. If the splines are not stripped, replace the angle gear.
3. Check for codes in the CEM for communication faults.
4. If the driveshaft is spinning, access the Differential Electronic Module (DEM). If there is no communication with the DEM, check for power on the Blue/Red wire, ground (Brown and Black wires) and network integrity by checking resistance between the Green and White wire. With the battery disconnected, there should be 60 ohms between the two wires.
5. Check the Active On Demand Coupling (AOC) oil pump for proper operation. After startup, the DEM will apply power and ground to the oil pump and you should be able to hear it run. You can manually apply power and ground to it. If it does not run, replace the oil pump. The oil pump can draw excessive current and blow the fuse for the DEM, causing the lack of communication.
6. Check DEM live data and monitor the AOC oil pressure sensor. Key on engine off reading should be 0.00 (+/-.08MPa). Start engine and recheck. With the oil pump running, pressure should rise to .38 (+/-.08 MPa)

Good luck

Cheers
Bob

Bob,
I have the same issue with no AWD,I can spin the propshaft freely so I have bought a new splined kit to replace what I hope is my problem,my question is how do I use Vida to check the live DEM data,I've got a working Vida Dice but not experienced enough with it yet to use it properly ? It doesn't throw any fault codes bar for a couple of non related issues,I'd like to try and find out if my Heldex unit is working correctly before I start the job of taking the angle gear off and replacing the spline,if my Heldex unit isn't working right I'd rather not start the job and leave the car in 2 wheel drive.Any help would be appreciated.

100K+ Apr 16th, 2018 15:49

If you can spin your prop shaft when the car is in gear and the rear wheels are on the ground its 95% certain the collar sleeve in the bevel gear into which the drive shaft locates is stripped. I believe sometimes they are not an easy job to remove.
I too am no VIDA expert, being torn between wanting to experiment, but being terrified of screwing something major up.
I suggest as a start looking under Diagnostics/Vehicle Communication. Then selecting the DEM icon in the LH screen. Then Parameters, which will give you a list of options which you can select by clicking and then clicking the "add to list". This then shows real time data for the selected item in the RH screen. Check out Oil pressure + Solenoid current + Pump current + DEM voltage. These parameters should give you enough live data so that you can tell if the item selected is working. There will be differences for example between engine off (ignition at pos 2) and engine at idle or 2000rpm. It is possible to graph the results, so you can see data over a few seconds time period, but when I tried it just confused me.
At the Parameter tab there are additional tabs for Activations or Programmed Values and Advanced. I can't remember what they are about but think they follow the pattern set by the Parameter tab ie select the module icon in the upper LH screen area.
As you say you don't have a DEM specific DTC, Id be reasonably confident that your issue with the AWD was down to the stripped collar sleeve.
One last point I'd make is Haldex oil. Get a couple of litre bottles from Volvo and rotate the contents through the Haldex unit. You have to vacuum pump the contents out, but you'll get the hang. Each time before removing the Oil get a tube and insert it as deep as you can into the Haldex and blow air through the tube. This is to disturb as much crud in the haldex as possible, so that when you drain the oil this crud is taken with it. Store this oil in a glass jar and leave overnight. I had 1" deep crud in a 4" jar for 6 oil changes before I saw any improvement. I recycled the top 3" of oil - I knew it was going to be removed.
I also removed the DEM controller and cleaned the pressure switch and the Solenoid, using a 9v battery to activate it. I think I used petrol to soak the two units, but not 100% sure.- both were full of crud.
Sorry if this has been a bit long winded, but wish you success.

Good luck
Cheers
Bob.

Ray1962 Apr 18th, 2018 01:25

Thanks Bob,the more long winded the better as far as I'm concerned,I will do what you suggest:thumbs_up:

Toomanyswedes May 29th, 2019 18:30

AWD trouble

Seems like I have the opposite trouble.
My 2005 S60 2.5 awd seems to have the rear diff always engaged. I first noticed it when attempting a tight u-turn. One rear tire skidded along like a 4wd truck that was bound up on dry pavement. We put it up on the lift and with the transmission in neutral we turned both rear wheels in the same direction. This resulted in the driveshaft turning. This shouldn't happen because the haldex only engages when needed and the car was off.

A little back story on the car. It has 74000 miles and appears to have been very well maintained. I bought it from a Copart auction and it needed a front bumper, crash bar, and one headlight. No hood or fender damage but the right frame rail neede a little pull. I don't think the awd issue has anything to do with the collision damage.

100K+ May 30th, 2019 14:51

I have posted several threads/posts on Haldex issues and your issue is VERY similar to my issue.
My awd made a sharp bang/cracking when I tried to do a 3 point turn and I described a feeling of " locking up" thread is in this section.
Short answer : was a DEM failure which Lucus fixed for me. About 4 yr ago. Been 100% fine since then. I did have a Dem0005 vida code.
Search "sounds expensive" in pre 2007 v70 (P2) section.
Can't put link up as not at computer - using phone n can't get it to work lol.
Cheers
Bob

Adrian B Aug 7th, 2021 18:09

Hi. Iam a newbie ish so please understand .Iam hoping I am in the right area.
I have a XC60 2012 manual box with AWD. 100k on clock. New to me!
It has a gen 5 unit.Just changed the oil and cleaned it out.
My simple question. If I park on a muddy surface, set off the front wheels slip for split second then the back wheels turn and I get a grip and travel on the slippy mud ok.
So I guess at this moment all 4 wheels are powered.
Am I correct to say my AWD system is ok?
Regards

100K+ Aug 7th, 2021 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2760406)
Hi. Iam a newbie ish so please understand .Iam hoping I am in the right area.
I have a XC60 2012 manual box with AWD. 100k on clock. New to me!
It has a gen 5 unit.Just changed the oil and cleaned it out.
My simple question. If I park on a muddy surface, set off the front wheels slip for split second then the back wheels turn and I get a grip and travel on the slippy mud ok.
So I guess at this moment all 4 wheels are powered.
Am I correct to say my AWD system is ok?
Regards

IMHO Short answer :- yes

Cheers
Bob

YorkshireDave Sep 18th, 2021 20:54

My two penneth of experience regarding DEM failure.

My issues started with occasional anti skid service warnings. I then noticed fuel consumption had risen & I had no idea why.
My next sympton was a 'rumble' similar to an early wheel bearing failure but I had trouble locating it and it wasn't prevalent when turning left or right.
Eventually, over some months, more spurious messages appeared and eventually I got the brake failure message along with no tacho, speedo or water temp.

I was convinced it was the CEM (based on various tinterweb posts) so I stripped it out only to find it had already been replaced! Whilst it was great news on one level, it also chucked a huge spanner into my thought process 🤔

Having used Lukas' skills at Volvo Diagnostics a couple of years previous, he was the only person I felt I could trust to give me a definitive answer. I know from experience he does not rely entirely on the output from a computer!

His advice was simple & incisive. Disconnect the DEM & clear the codes. If the issues disappear, aside from the antiskid warning, them the DEM is the prob.

Getting to it & disconnecting it was a challenge. However, the following drive was clear of the break failure warning, the instruments worked again, the gearbox worked & the rumble noise disappeared.

I left Wetherby at 04:30 next morning for Tilbury as Lukas said he'd refurb my DEM while I waited. As someone who started working life in electronics and almost ever since been in engineering, the quality of the refurbishment was truly sublime. Even the case was cleaned to a literal 'just out of the mould' standard - truly spotless. It turned out it had the wrong firmware for my vehicle but they sorted that with batting an eyelid!

Volvo's price for a replacement & programming was £1200. Lukas' price was £140, which included his freely given priceless advice.

Before refitting I was advised to test the pump which I did. Unfortunately I don't think my Haldex has ever been serviced so that'll be done next week with a new filter & oil. I refitted today and, honestly, the difference is night & day. Gear changes are smoother than a babies bum, rumble has disappeared, fuel consumption has improved & no more messages!

My journey here was ultimately successful. However it would have been far less painful if we Volvo owners had access to some decent flow charts where simple(ish) tests, such as Lukas suggests, where we could narrow down possible causes. Anyone up for working on some?

adamantan Dec 31st, 2021 19:26

XC60 Rear Wheels Scraping

Hi guys, 2012 XC60 D5 AWD (Gen 5 Haldex) 40k miles rear wheels scraping while turning on slow corners. There is no sound or any other physical sign e.g. oil leak but while turning slowly e.g. roundabouts it feels like the handbrake is on and rear wheels dragging until the car is on a straight one again. When prop shaft removed it drives fine as a front wheel drive car. There seems to be no physical damage on the prop shaft and no warning lights on the dash suggesting this might be a Haldex issue. Angle gear and sleeves have been checked, no damage found (changed them, just in case). Any idea what this could be and/or how to fix it please? Thanks

P.s. DEM with pump been changed but the result is same

Parknest Apr 25th, 2022 12:59

I have a similar problem myself and I've posted elsewhere on this forum
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=324497&page=2

It sounds like Lukas is "the man" as I'm suspecting that the DEM on my XC90 could be faulty. I get 2 error codes ABS0064 and CEM1A64 which point to no communication with the DEM.

BillDD5 May 31st, 2022 15:07

Haldex fluid leak from AOC housing

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
We have a 2005 XC70 with a Generation 2 Haldex that has suddenly started losing fluid. On inspection it appears that a core plug in the cast casing has rusted through. We’ve attempted to seal this using ‘chemical metal’ epoxy but to no avail; fluid continues to seep. Please see photo attached.
My next idea is to try and measure the diameter of the core plug and obtain a replacement and see if on removing the DEM it is possible to dig out the old plug and drive in a replacement?
The alternative is to obtain another AOC and do a strip-down and swap?

Any thoughts on how much work it is to carry out such a task? Has anyone ever attempted a DIY strip-down of this unit?

Out local garage/service station has no experience of these..

Thanks,
Bill

passenger May 31st, 2022 18:25

Hi guys. I asked Volvo for service history. One of thing was rear diff repair. Is it oft for those diffs to fail? Should I be worried? I have plan driven this car like 150kkm more

Korchoi Jun 17th, 2022 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2160244)
What you need to do in order is get the car read with a DICE/VIDA. This will give you a great insight into what you need to do next. If you don't/cant you are feeling you way in the dark.
The DEM unit has a pressure gauge (small) and a control module (large) inside. The pressure gauge sometimes go faulty. If so VIDA/DICE will tell you.
VIDA DICE will also give you live pressure value data - might prove* the sensor works/don't work. see caviat.
Disconnect the pump lead and check the pump works with a 12volt battery- you will hear it running - If you need to change the pump you need to remove the prop shaft ( and 90% the exhaust too). The DEM controller suffers from water ingress damage, and sometimes gives " false" reading to the DEM
* due to DEM damage no pressure is shown on VIDA DICE which claims a pressure valve issue, when the PV is actually ok.- that caught me.
You can get your DEM unit checked out. I tried on company in Kent, who said the unit was fine, and then spent months trying to fix the AWD, when the DEM was infact faulty. Lukas, sorted me a referbed unit which is working great - no DTC'S and lots of AWD.

If you want to ask any questions just ask
Cheers

Bob.

I have my XC70 with similar codes showing booked into auto fix in North Shields, only recently bought the car so am looking forward to having it all fettled. Does limp mode when it fancies and the awd fault. Apart from that the car is lovely

YorkshireDave Jun 18th, 2022 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDD5 (Post 2826927)
Hi,
We have a 2005 XC70 with a Generation 2 Haldex that has suddenly started losing fluid. On inspection it appears that a core plug in the cast casing has rusted through. We’ve attempted to seal this using ‘chemical metal’ epoxy but to no avail; fluid continues to seep. Please see photo attached.
My next idea is to try and measure the diameter of the core plug and obtain a replacement and see if on removing the DEM it is possible to dig out the old plug and drive in a replacement?
The alternative is to obtain another AOC and do a strip-down and swap?

Any thoughts on how much work it is to carry out such a task? Has anyone ever attempted a DIY strip-down of this unit?

Out local garage/service station has no experience of these..

Thanks,
Bill

Hmm, That sounds like a much bigger issue than I had to be fair. If it were mine, I'd be looking to fit a new (second hand) AOC (Active On Coupling) assembly complete so you know you're starting with everything sorted. Try Mike at Huddersfield Volvo breakers. Good luck.

Jonesy767 Jul 4th, 2022 15:09

Hi

Did you embark on taking on XC90s , Mine is scrabbling and making awful noises on all lock at walking pace etc 2010 D5

passenger Dec 28th, 2022 19:56

Change your diff oil. It's 15-20min job, 8€ cost 1L oil.

https://i.postimg.cc/3R5hKrvf/IMG-20221227-105838-1.jpg