Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Stereo/SatNav/Phone Sat Nav Screen Flicker (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283008)

CoolXc70 Jun 15th, 2018 19:37

Sat Nav Screen Flicker

1 Attachment(s)
Hello awesome community :)

I have a strange flicker (visible on photo) - the sat nav and backup cam work fine but well the screen moves horizontal and turns black after 1-2 minutes (although nav still working).

Any idea what to do? Searched the forum but can't find solution

SwissXC90 Jun 15th, 2018 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolXc70 (Post 2414721)
I have a strange flicker (visible on photo) - the sat nav and backup cam work fine but well the screen moves horizontal and turns black after 1-2 minutes (although nav still working).

If the symptoms are present on both nav (RGB input) and backup camera (composite input) then it can only be a display fault. It is loosing vertical synchronsiation.

Get a replacement display.

They are not coded to the vehicle, they are not programmable, so any 2nd hand display from a similar car will do.

CoolXc70 Jun 15th, 2018 20:03

I was figuring it is the screen - will search for used once! Thanks.

Btw any idea where I can find tutorials how to take the screen out? was searching for screws and options to pull the screen out already... but no luck

CoolXc70 Jun 17th, 2018 19:21

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I found how Icould repair the nav screen. Unfortunately still stuck on removing the grill around the nav screen.
Tried to push it up from behind the cluster... any ideas?
Btw found this picture but no info how to remove it on your own.

Help <3 :angel_smile:

Tatsfield Jun 17th, 2018 20:34

1 Attachment(s)
Until someone who knows for sure says otherwise, I'd say that the three visible rectangular slots plus a fourth, out of sight to the left of the picture on the far side of the unit, are locating slots for plastic tabs on the surround and that using a plastic trim removal lever, you could lift the surround cover by levering it out. You can buy these trim removal plastic tools cheaply on ebay and they do prevent damage to trim and bodywork often caused by using a metal screwdriver or the like. This one cost me about £6. % tools all double ended for different functions.

CoolXc70 Jun 17th, 2018 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2415340)
Until someone who knows for sure says otherwise, I'd say that the three visible rectangular slots plus a fourth, out of sight to the left of the picture on the far side of the unit, are locating slots for plastic tabs on the surround and that using a plastic trim removal lever, you could lift the surround cover by levering it out. You can buy these trim removal plastic tools cheaply on ebay and they do prevent damage to trim and bodywork often caused by using a metal screwdriver or the like. This one cost me about £6. % tools all double ended for different functions.

thanks! Just ordered one set will try asap

XC70Virgin Jun 18th, 2018 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2415340)

Remove the Torx screws, 4 I think, and the whole assembly will come out. Short screw driver near the glass obviously!

Tatsfield Jun 18th, 2018 23:22

I don't think the OP is talking about the sat nav screen chassis that you can see in the picture but the plastic cover that hides it. The 4 Torx bolts are under the cover and he doesn't know how to remove the cover to reveal them. The 4 bolts are pretty obvious when you've got the cover off but removing covers like this where there is no visible means of attachment is a daunting prospect if you haven't done the job before. :regular_smile:

CoolXc70 Jun 23rd, 2018 10:23

1 Attachment(s)
yeah not easy at all... trying to take off the grill with new tools since 2h now :(

btw to clarify - talking about the part i point in the foto

Tatsfield Jun 23rd, 2018 22:42

Going back to the picture attached to post #4, I can't see anything at all there that clips the mesh grille at all. It can only be a push fit. It would grip both the outer rim and the inner rim around the pop up screen. I had assumed that there would be clips that fitted in to the 4 rectangular holes but the cover is pierced metal and I cannot see any way that clips could be attached without you being able to see them through the holes. If I'm wrong, someone please jump in and tell me!!!