Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   DPF Failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299028)

TonyM Sep 30th, 2019 09:56

DPF Failure

My 63 reg V40 D2 R Design has just failed the MOT test due to emissions.

The dealer did an enforced regeneration of the DPF but it did not help and they diagnosed a failed DPF.

Apparently the DPF is not covered by the Volvo extended warranty because it is apparently considered to be a serviceable item and can fail through wear and tear (the car has done 47,000 miles). It is going to cost £950 for a new one and that is at a discounted rate.

Just a bit shocked as I thought the DPF on these cars looked after itself. One of the reasons I changed from a C30 D2 to this car was because changing the DPF was part of one of the major services on the C30 and would have cost around £1000 to do.

Although the car has relatively low mileage that has included regular long runs as I'm aware these are recommended to keep the DPF cleaned out.

Rant over but I thought I would give a heads up to other V40 owners who maybe aren't expecting this.

Clan Sep 30th, 2019 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM (Post 2558323)
My 63 reg V40 D2 R Design has just failed the MOT test due to emissions.

The dealer did an enforced regeneration of the DPF but it did not help and they diagnosed a failed DPF.

Apparently the DPF is not covered by the Volvo extended warranty because it is apparently considered to be a serviceable item and can fail through wear and tear (the car has done 47,000 miles). It is going to cost £950 for a new one and that is at a discounted rate.

Just a bit shocked as I thought the DPF on these cars looked after itself. One of the reasons I changed from a C30 D2 to this car was because changing the DPF was part of one of the major services on the C30 and would have cost around £1000 to do.

Although the car has relatively low mileage that has included regular long runs as I'm aware these are recommended to keep the DPF cleaned out.

Rant over but I thought I would give a heads up to other V40 owners who maybe aren't expecting this.

I would fight the warranty , the DPF is NOT a serviceable component like they used to be before 2010 ... They are designed to last the life of the car like every other component .

TonyM Sep 30th, 2019 10:36

Thank you that's useful advice.

I'll chase it up.

TonyM Sep 30th, 2019 10:52

I've contacted the Warranty people and they say the policy wording specifically excludes Exhaust systems and DPFs and they don't know anything about DPFs deigned to last the lifetime of the car.

They suggested I get the dealer to contact Volvo to see whether they are prepared to contribute to the cost.

Clan Sep 30th, 2019 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM (Post 2558347)
I've contacted the Warranty people and they say the policy wording specifically excludes Exhaust systems and DPFs and they don't know anything about DPFs deigned to last the lifetime of the car.

They suggested I get the dealer to contact Volvo to see whether they are prepared to contribute to the cost.

well if that is in the small print it is not much help ... but there is certainly no maintenance applicable to the DPF in other words you can not be held responsible for it's failure .

Whippy Sep 30th, 2019 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM (Post 2558347)

DPF's definitely are not covered, however most if not all manufacturers point to a life of between 100 - 120,000 miles before ash build-up renders the filter useless. I would suggest that in your case and with no other factors to consider it should not have failed at your very modest mileage.

TonyM Sep 30th, 2019 13:08

Thank you for all the comments.

When I collect the car tomorrow I'll have a word with the dealers - they were going to contact Volvo before they remembered I had the extended warranty so they might have done that - they are quite helpful..