Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   850 T-5R what's it worth (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299728)

andykleeman Oct 20th, 2019 16:06

850 T-5R what's it worth

Hi All,

I am considering selling my much loved 850 T-5R, she's served me + the family very well but after a camping trip this summer even the wagon is short on space and I am considering buying a van instead. 3 kids, dogs, bikes, tents = thinking a 6 seater van with lots of space in the back is gonna better meet our needs...

Which leads me to my question - what do you think it's worth?

850 T-5R in Black, Automatic
Approaching 270,000 miles

Drives Faultlessly. 12Months MOT, just passed, needing only a tyre and an anti-roll bar joint replacing.

I've owned 3.5 years and in my ownership have :
replaced timing belt and water pump,
PAS steering rack and pump,
PCV system,
fuel pump,
discs and pads,
termostat,
battery
a few mounts, and some plastics.

Previous owner looked after well and I have a massive folder of paperwork big things are :
Gearbox
Suspension all round
Axels

All electrics work - heated seats, windows, air con etc etc

Seats and carpets in decent condition.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/chLKuzYLBJxan7Je8

To-do's on my list are:
- fusebox cover, rear center light cover and a couple of plastics under the engine slightly damaged - on my list to get a price from Volvo for these (have sourced lots of parts directly from Volvo in Pirbright in my ownership - they can still supply most things, cambelt guard and cover replaced for example).
- I thought it had a slight oil leak so put into Volvo Pirbright to diagnose, they found was from the Turbo return pipe but very minor - I purchased the gasket and seal to do myself but have not got round to it yet.
- fault code reader wire broke when checking codes a month ago and needs soldering or replacing.
- original radio has become temperamental and sometimes refuses to pick up a signal, the CD player in the boot still works so I'm suspecting it's an ariel connection somewhere but yet to find time to investigate.

Paintwork - previous owner had a cheap? repair done and the paint on the bonnet is poor. Bonnet and mirrors really need repainting. Otherwise there are a few other spots around the car that would need bringing up to A1 condition.

I've seen prices go up for 850r's, but generally they have lower millage than mine, perhaps around 150K miles = £7/8K.

I don't expect mine to be worth that much, even if mechanically it could be an equal or better car, having been looked after well - the mileage will scare many potential buyers away.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Shinsplintz 101 Oct 21st, 2019 18:19

T5r Value

In its favour, its T5r, and well maintained by the sounds of it.

Against it, its an auto, high mileage & a bit shabby cosmetically by the description.

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So personally id stick it on a well kbown auction site with a sensible reserve (say 3k)and let it run.

DaveNP Oct 22nd, 2019 01:14

If you're not in a rush, watch the well known auction site for a few months, search 850 T5R and select 'completed listings' that will show which vehicles sold and which didn't and give you a better indication of what they actually sold for. A dozen people can list a T5R for £10k but that doesn't mean they actually sell for that much.

andykleeman Nov 3rd, 2019 11:54

I listed it so I guess I'll find out soon enough :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-850...4/274079318676

:shocked:

shepcobain Nov 7th, 2019 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by andykleeman (Post 2564465)
Hi All,

I am considering selling my much loved 850 T-5R, she's served me + the family very well but after a camping trip this summer even the wagon is short on space and I am considering buying a van instead. 3 kids, dogs, bikes, tents = thinking a 6 seater van with lots of space in the back is gonna better meet our needs...

Which leads me to my question - what do you think it's worth?

850 T-5R in Black, Automatic
Approaching 270,000 miles

Drives Faultlessly. 12Months MOT, just passed, needing only a tyre and an anti-roll bar joint replacing.

I've owned 3.5 years and in my ownership have :
replaced timing belt and water pump,
PAS steering rack and pump,
PCV system,
fuel pump,
discs and pads,
termostat,
battery
a few mounts, and some plastics.

Previous owner looked after well and I have a massive folder of paperwork big things are :
Gearbox
Suspension all round
Axels

All electrics work - heated seats, windows, air con etc etc

Seats and carpets in decent condition.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/chLKuzYLBJxan7Je8

To-do's on my list are:
- fusebox cover, rear center light cover and a couple of plastics under the engine slightly damaged - on my list to get a price from Volvo for these (have sourced lots of parts directly from Volvo in Pirbright in my ownership - they can still supply most things, cambelt guard and cover replaced for example).
- I thought it had a slight oil leak so put into Volvo Pirbright to diagnose, they found was from the Turbo return pipe but very minor - I purchased the gasket and seal to do myself but have not got round to it yet.
- fault code reader wire broke when checking codes a month ago and needs soldering or replacing.
- original radio has become temperamental and sometimes refuses to pick up a signal, the CD player in the boot still works so I'm suspecting it's an ariel connection somewhere but yet to find time to investigate.

Paintwork - previous owner had a cheap? repair done and the paint on the bonnet is poor. Bonnet and mirrors really need repainting. Otherwise there are a few other spots around the car that would need bringing up to A1 condition.

I've seen prices go up for 850r's, but generally they have lower millage than mine, perhaps around 150K miles = £7/8K.

I don't expect mine to be worth that much, even if mechanically it could be an equal or better car, having been looked after well - the mileage will scare many potential buyers away.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I'll be honest with you pal, I can't see it being worth much more than £1500-£1700.

Ultimately the mileage and exterior condition let it down. It's not without its faults, which you have been honest about. But all the ones which are priced high on eBay, auto trader, car and classic etc. have all been for sale for the best part of 12 months +

I have just looked on eBay at sold prices on 850 T5s, T-5R and Rs. There have been some nasty Rs sold for around the £1400 mark recently and a nice low mileage with a few small paint blemishes for £2200. I'd either be realistic with what it's worth or have the work done, make it immaculate and then sell it.

shepcobain Nov 7th, 2019 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 (Post 2564748)
In its favour, its T5r, and well maintained by the sounds of it.

Against it, its an auto, high mileage & a bit shabby cosmetically by the description.

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So personally id stick it on a well kbown auction site with a sensible reserve (say 3k)and let it run.

The poor guy will think it's worth £3k now. Based on description, I can see how you came to that valuation. However, looking at the eBay listing, I personally wouldn't pay more than £1200 for it.

Diego67 Nov 10th, 2019 19:04

Well it made reasonable money to be fair !

Gonzobard Nov 10th, 2019 19:56

£3k on the nose, I believe.

Volvo6 Nov 10th, 2019 22:00

I think £3k is fair in the current market - it's more than it would have been a few years ago perhaps, but then loads of the more interesting 90s cars have increased in value recently.

If you aren't too worried about a car being a bit rough around the edges and don't mind doing a bit of DIY mechanics, then it's still a lot of car for the money.

As others have said, you do see some ads asking silly money now, even ones that have quite high mileages. For a low mileage manual with good bodywork perhaps, but they are never (IMHO) going to be up there with a similar aged BMW M car for example, which is what a few sellers seem to aspire to.

What do people think is a fair price for a really sorted one at the moment?

Gonzobard Nov 13th, 2019 06:39

On e-bay recently was a manual 850 T5R estate, UK car, 60,000 miles, looked great. It looked like the bidding ended at £12.5K, but I couldn’t be sure it hadn’t been removed before the auction ended (i.e. sold privately).