Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   To Webasto or not to Webasto that is the question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282891)

Natedog Jun 12th, 2018 20:31

To Webasto or not to Webasto that is the question

Hi, I’m looking for some straight up owners feedback on the Webasto folding roof for our 69 122s. I’m very tempted and found the company that has taken over from the original coach works company to fit.

Volvorama Jun 12th, 2018 21:32

No

They leak. They're noisy.

classicswede Jun 12th, 2018 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvorama (Post 2413556)
They leak. They're noisy.

Rain hole, once done no going back. Biggest put off with buying a car for me is a rain hole

Triple-S Jun 12th, 2018 22:26

Whilst I never had any trouble with the Webasto on my '65 Amazon (but I never opened it, I'm not a sun roof person), that on my 164 obviously had leakage problems before I came along. There are stains on the headlining (but it never leaked on me) and as Mark says, it whistles when moving a bit.
But then again I'd never choose to buy a car just because it has one fitted: I hate sunroofs period! If I want fresh air I'd get the motorbike out.

Paul

Natedog Jun 12th, 2018 23:08

Thanks guys. Windows it is just saved me £2100 plus vat

old fart Jun 13th, 2018 00:37

Just to confuse matters, my first Amazon had a Webasto roof, and I loved it, so easy to open it up and have fresh air, and if really hot, open all the windows and it was almost like an open car. I wish my current car had one, but perhaps a bit expensive now!

Natedog Jun 13th, 2018 07:32

The system looks great, from the few google images I can find but you can’t beat sage advice. My car is a fair weather car, garaged all year round and only out in nice weather. It was more the noise and look once open that was bothering me. I’d be dissaponted if all I could hear was the sound of gathered fabric flapping around. My wife thinks the car smells of petrol and is too hot even when the windows are open (I think my heater is jammed on hot!) but she’s right it is a little smelly

john.wigley Jun 13th, 2018 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natedog (Post 2413667)
My wife thinks the car smells of petrol and is too hot even when the windows are open (I think my heater is jammed on hot!) but she’s right it is a little smelly

Fitting a sun-roof would - at best - only address these symptoms. Better by far to spend the money on correcting the underlying causes I would have thought?

I like a sun-roof, but have to agree that these and the after-market glass panels so popular in the eighties are inherently flawed. On the other hand, the factory fitted solid sun-rooves fitted to my seven series cars were fine.

Regards, John.

old fart Jun 13th, 2018 11:03

You don't get the sound of flapping fabric, and they don't look too peculiar when folded, but I wouldn't use it as a way of getting rid of a fuel smell, there's definitely something wrong there.

Derek UK Jun 13th, 2018 13:07

1 Attachment(s)
I had one, actually a Weathershields, on a 1977 VW Sirocco. Loved it in the summer and it never leaked. Quiet and draught free when open up to about 65mph but not bad even above that. Front deflector essential. Cutting the roof of an Amazon is brave but with a modern cutter not difficult. You do lose the strengthening beam the goes across the roof but the opening can be braced to some degree, just don't roll it.
There several Amazons with them in the UK. Here are a couple of Swedes. 123GT's I think.