Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SRS light (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294912)

Ashc May 19th, 2019 18:48

SRS light

Has anyone got any idea how to reset the srs light on my 1996 940 sport? I don't appear to have the boxes on the strut tower or the terminal in the fuse box that are mentioned in the FAQ section.

Volvo_Utrecht May 19th, 2019 21:42

If it is a MY 97 you can use a laptop and vol-fcr

Ashc May 19th, 2019 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo_Utrecht (Post 2521870)
If it is a MY 97 you can use a laptop and vol-fcr

Thanks for the reply, is there any way of confirming it's compatible with vol-fcr before I try and get the software?

Laird Scooby May 19th, 2019 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashc (Post 2521823)
Has anyone got any idea how to reset the srs light on my 1996 940 sport? I don't appear to have the boxes on the strut tower or the terminal in the fuse box that are mentioned in the FAQ section.

Have you fixed whatever caused it to come on in the first place? You may be able to clear it by disconnecting the battery -ve terminal for a while but you'll need to reprogram your stereo, clocl, maybe alarm/immobiliser and it may not reset the SRS ECU fault codes depending how volatile the memory is in it.

On the upside, it should clear all ABS and Jetronic/Motronic fault codes stored in the ECUs if you disconnect the battery -ve for a while.

Ashc May 19th, 2019 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2521888)
Have you fixed whatever caused it to come on in the first place? You may be able to clear it by disconnecting the battery -ve terminal for a while but you'll need to reprogram your stereo, clocl, maybe alarm/immobiliser and it may not reset the SRS ECU fault codes depending how volatile the memory is in it.

On the upside, it should clear all ABS and Jetronic/Motronic fault codes stored in the ECUs if you disconnect the battery -ve for a while.

Thanks for the reply, it was caused by me replacing the seatbelt. I've tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours, but to no avail.

Laird Scooby May 19th, 2019 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashc (Post 2521893)
Thanks for the reply, it was caused by me replacing the seatbelt. I've tried disconnecting the battery for a few hours, but to no avail.

Which part of the seat belt and are there any sensors on it? If not, id suggest you've disturbed a connector somewhere nearby (without realising you've even touched it probably) and that is now showing as a fault on the system.

If there were sensors on the old seatbelt, see if plugging those back into the plug they were connected to originally and disconnecting the battery for a few minutes clears it - if so, the "new" part is faulty.

Ashc May 20th, 2019 07:14

I replaced the entire seatbelt and pre-tensioner which is connected via a plug to the srs system. I'm sure I connected it, but I'll recheck. It's a good idea about connecting the old seatbelt, but I chucked it months ago.

jonnyf90 May 20th, 2019 08:58

Disconnect the dash wire and jump it to the low washer light (so it extinguishes after 5 secs for your MOT) 👍

Cheers

Laird Scooby May 20th, 2019 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashc (Post 2521927)
I replaced the entire seatbelt and pre-tensioner which is connected via a plug to the srs system. I'm sure I connected it, but I'll recheck. It's a good idea about connecting the old seatbelt, but I chucked it months ago.

Did you replace it because of a fault, general wear or what?

Ashc May 20th, 2019 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyf90 (Post 2521942)
Disconnect the dash wire and jump it to the low washer light (so it extinguishes after 5 secs for your MOT) 👍

Cheers

That's a great idea if I don't manage to fix it in time, cheers. I'd still like to get it sorted properly if I can.