Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   EGR stuff (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293448)

tompip Apr 1st, 2019 23:17

EGR stuff

hi, can i just check that the EGR stuff is only on the D4 engine and not the D5?

Bendolfc Apr 1st, 2019 23:49

The D5 and any other semi modern diesel engine does have EGR, however there isn't the constant issues with them like on the VEA D4.

Zebster Apr 2nd, 2019 07:28

Actually the D5 version of the VEA is basically the same as the D4 and will have exactly the same EGR problems.

Or are you comparing a VEA D4 and an older 5-cylinder D5?

Rustymusty Apr 2nd, 2019 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2509609)
Actually the D5 version of the VEA is basically the same as the D4 and will have exactly the same EGR problems.

What’s the difference between the VEA D5 and the older 5 cylinder D5?

Bendolfc Apr 2nd, 2019 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2509609)

Was there a D5 VEA offered in these pre SPA cars?

Zebster Apr 2nd, 2019 13:51

Q
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustymusty (Post 2509641)
What’s the difference between the VEA D5 and the older 5 cylinder D5?

The VEA range of engines are 2L 4-cylinder (and come in a D3, D4 and D5 range of power outputs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bendolfc (Post 2509680)
Was there a D5 VEA offered in these pre SPA cars?

Actually, I think not. So apologies if I caused an offence by appearing to contradict you, when you were technically correct. However who knows where the OP's vehicle hunt will take him and absolute clarity over engine types may become more important?

I'll admit that I did find Volvo engine nomenclature confusing when I was looking (I honestly thought that D4 and D5 referred to the number of cylinders).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bendolfc (Post 2509580)
The D5 and any other semi modern diesel engine does have EGR, however there isn't the constant issues with them like on the VEA D4.

'Constant' is a bit harsh... the key problem is blockage of the EGR cooler, which Volvo do replace for free even after the car is over 4 years old (I had mine replaced a couple of weeks ago).

The 5-cylinder engines have their own problems, including the engine being damaged if the aux belt breaks (it can cause the cam belt to also break). And I don't think it's Euro6 compliant, so may prevent the car entering certain urban zones?

tompip Apr 2nd, 2019 22:33

D4 D5 VEA etc

what is the best/most reliable engine?

Zebster Apr 3rd, 2019 07:43

Depends on your criteria for 'best'... what do you need it to do?

The D4 VEA is a great engine that gives my V60 a sub-8 second 0-60, regularly shows over 60mpg on a run, meets the Euro6 standard and the annual VED is only £20. I can't imagine a D5 doing any of these things better, however I do worry about whether Volvo's improvements to the replacement VEA EGR coolers will mean that this problem will definitely go away. But at least the replacement coolers are free.

Dash300 Apr 3rd, 2019 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2509917)
Depends on your criteria for 'best'... what do you need it to do?

The D4 VEA is a great engine that gives my V60 a sub-8 second 0-60, regularly shows over 60mpg on a run, meets the Euro6 standard and the annual VED is only £20. I can't imagine a D5 doing any of these things better, however I do worry about whether Volvo's improvements to the replacement VEA EGR coolers will mean that this problem will definitely go away. But at least the replacement coolers are free.

A fair summary to which I would add a very competent and surefooted tow car.
Forums whilst being enormously useful pools of knowledge and expertise, can also generate a certain amount of topical angst, often out of proportion to the actual facts.
The now extensively used VEA platform engine in my view is one such example. It is a relatively new and inherently good engine with a defect identified early on in its distribution and a free fix offered by Volvo. With 95K of heavy usage from new my VEA has been trouble with the free fix.
Of more concern to me is the poor service offered by many of the Volvo Main Dealers. I fortunately have an excellent one here in Taunton.

Bendolfc Apr 3rd, 2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2509707)
So apologies if I caused an offence by appearing to contradict you, when you were technically correct. However who knows where the OP's vehicle hunt will take him and absolute clarity over engine types may become more important?

None taken, although the EGR issues only appear to have been a problem in early VEA engines as fitted to these cars, the problems havent affected SPA & CMA cars.

The question I am more interested in is whether the problem only really affects the early 181 BHP engines or if it also affects the 190 as that would make my purchase decision easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2509917)

The later D5s as a manual will do 0-60 slightly quicker, are Euro 6 although tax is £30.

As an auto though its let down with the 6 speed box.