Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Haldex Oil change advice? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306431)

Father Ted May 29th, 2020 22:56

Haldex Oil change advice?

I'm thinking of changing out my rear diff oil and Haldex oil.
I have no indications of an issue, this is purely pro-active.

However, removing prop shaft is probably further than I want to go with the time and facilities available to me.
So, a couple of questions.
Mine is an early XC90 (2003). I presume this will be Haldex 3. If so, the filter appears to be accessible without removing prop. Is this correct?
Secondly, will there be much value to changing out as much oil as I can and replacing filter (if possible), or am I just wasting my time? My thinking is that 70% fresh oil is better than 100% old oil.

Has anyone any experience with Haldex units on the early XC90s?

Tineca May 30th, 2020 08:13

Hi just had a full service this week at jump leads in St Anne's. They are volvo experts. It was 360 including haldex and bosch wipers and some other bits. That includes a hire car. Might be best having a trip over from wirral. Cheers Jed

S60D5-185 May 31st, 2020 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Ted (Post 2633665)
I'm thinking of changing out my rear diff oil and Haldex oil.
I have no indications of an issue, this is purely pro-active.

However, removing prop shaft is probably further than I want to go with the time and facilities available to me.
So, a couple of questions.
Mine is an early XC90 (2003). I presume this will be Haldex 3. If so, the filter appears to be accessible without removing prop. Is this correct?
Secondly, will there be much value to changing out as much oil as I can and replacing filter (if possible), or am I just wasting my time? My thinking is that 70% fresh oil is better than 100% old oil.

Has anyone any experience with Haldex units on the early XC90s?

On the Haldex 3 the filter can definitely be changed with the prop and exhaust in situ.

You only need to remove the prop if the pump has failed or you want to clean the integrated filter on the pump.

If the pump is working ok now, I would change the filter and fluid and that alone will be a worthwhile job.👍

ShakTak May 31st, 2020 19:44

I don't think you can remove the filter on Gen 3 with everything intact.

Yes, you could use a pump to get as much oil out as possible, but the filter will still be blocked up as will the pump.

S60D5-185 May 31st, 2020 19:48

I did.:teeth_smile:

When I did mine I removed the pump as well to clean that BUT I got the additional filter out with prop and exhaust in situ.

ShakTak May 31st, 2020 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2634160)
I did.:teeth_smile:

When I did mine I removed the pump as well to clean that BUT I got the additional filter out with prop and exhaust in situ.

This does not sound right, I've worked on two cars with gen 3 and you cannot remove the pump with propshaft installed.

The pump cannot pass the flange.

Father Ted May 31st, 2020 22:04

Thanks folks.
I've seen that the pump won't come out, but the separate filter looks like it would. Good to know that indeed it does.
I know the "proper way "is pump out and clean, but that's a lot of work when I have no issues. I figure get as much old oil out and freshen it will do some good and if I can swap the filter as well....
Now to get a cost on parts and oil.

S60D5-185 Jun 1st, 2020 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShakTak (Post 2634166)
This does not sound right, I've worked on two cars with gen 3 and you cannot remove the pump with propshaft installed.

The pump cannot pass the flange.

Correct.

We are talking about the separate filter here. The one with the ribbed cover on the Haldex body.

I have already said that the prop needs to be dropped if removing the pump.

The OP stated at the very beginning that does not want to touch this . 👍

Richardinoz Jun 9th, 2020 12:17

I recently replaced the pump, filter and fluid on my 2007 XC90 D5 due to pump failure.

You have to disconnect the drive shaft at the rear flange and move it to one side to change the pump, a pain in the posteria to get the flange off, almost impossible without a rattle gun so stay away from the pump unless you have to.

Getting the filter out and in is easy. Draining the oil will require a suction pump inserted through the fill/level hole.

My car had around 200,000 km on the clock when the pump failed, the strainer on the pump was clean, the filter looked OK and the oil was only slightly discolored.

Good luck.