Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1998 S40 - New member and... vibrations problem > 70mph (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310788)

osakalevin Oct 12th, 2020 10:52

1998 S40 - New member and... vibrations problem > 70mph

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

New member here from Portugal. Hope all are well and healthy during this never-ending pandemic.

First and foremost, I've been reading a lot on this forum but never registered. I'm from Portugal and currently daily-drive a 98' S40 1.9 T4. It's been with me for the last couple of years and I can't seem to have enough from it, let alone think about selling it. Here's a picture of the culprit:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1602495161

Unfortunately the car has an issue that I can't seem to solve: It starts to vibrate (slightly, nothing major) after reaching 70mph and continues on. Below this speed it doesn't vibrate (or at least I don't feel it). The vibration doesn't get much stronger if driving at 70mph or at 100mph, for instance.

I've searched the forum before opening up this thread and found several threads talking about vibration (specially on the S60 D5), but nothing exactly like mine. Not sure if you have any specific word for it, but I searched for 'vibration, juddering, shaking'. Also, I'm not sure if this was something common on the 1st gen S40's. For now I can tell this much:
- Wheels are balanced (no weight has come off)
- All 4 shocks were replaced last year (uprated), together with new springs (H&R)
- The car did vibrate when braking. The 2 front hub's where replaced as well as the discs and pads - Braking vibration is now gone.
- Tires are not new, and have around 12.000 miles left.
- Most suspension mounts have been replaced (not engine).

Does anyone know if I should look for any specific tell, a specific mount or part?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best and stay safe!

CharlesStevenson Oct 12th, 2020 16:14

Normally, I've found that speed specific vibrations are due to wheel balancing being out.

I note you say they've been balanced, but it then might be that there's some damage to the rim or tyre perhaps?

Perhaps it's worth taking your car to another tyre garage for a 2nd opinion on the balance.

Others on here will probably have further ideas too.

Whilst your waiting, check this out - balance comes up a lot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=whee...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Nice looking S40, BTW

CharlesStevenson Oct 12th, 2020 16:18

It is / was certainly cleaner than my T4.

It came with a crease around the petrol cap area plus some fade to the bonnet but since owning it and on-road parking it it's now got little scratches/marks to most panels plus a nice big dent in / under the driver's door where someone reversed into it in a Sainsbury's car park!

osakalevin Oct 12th, 2020 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson (Post 2672569)
Normally, I've found that speed specific vibrations are due to wheel balancing being out.

I note you say they've been balanced, but it then might be that there's some damage to the rim or tyre perhaps?

Perhaps it's worth taking your car to another tyre garage for a 2nd opinion on the balance.

Others on here will probably have further ideas too.

Whilst your waiting, check this out - balance comes up a lot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=whee...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Nice looking S40, BTW

Hey Charles,

Thank you for the insight. I'm already going through the results for your google search. This will certainly help narrowing the issue.

Although the wheels were in good condition when I bought them, I did send them to a wheel repair shop for refurbishment. The thing is, even with the original wheels and tires the car had the same kind of vibration. Go figure.

Again, thanks for the help.

Volvonerd Nov 13th, 2020 10:18

Love the car & wheels!

I had similar with mine - all balanced etc. It actually came down to shot wheel bearing at the rear, so might be worth investigating?

ITSv40 Nov 13th, 2020 19:45

Welcome to the forum. Always good to hear from someone in Portugal, lovely country and people.

malteser Nov 15th, 2020 08:46

Nice T4 :)
If I was you I'd definitely get it on a ramp and check the drive shafts, the longer one in my experience done a vibration at 50-60 mph..
Even if you start it on the ramp..

osakalevin Nov 15th, 2020 10:00

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and for trying to help out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvonerd (Post 2681186)
Love the car & wheels!

I had similar with mine - all balanced etc. It actually came down to shot wheel bearing at the rear, so might be worth investigating?

Thanks for the info. By chance, did you notice any sound coming from the wheel bearing? Mine currently doesn't make any, but I can certainly have a look at it and rule it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITSv40 (Post 2681371)
Welcome to the forum. Always good to hear from someone in Portugal, lovely country and people.

Thanks for your kind words. I can certainly return the compliment. The UK (more specifically Ely, Cambridgeshire) was my home for a couple of years while undergoing my GCSE's :) -- oh, fun times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by malteser (Post 2681763)
Nice T4 :)
If I was you I'd definitely get it on a ramp and check the drive shafts, the longer one in my experience done a vibration at 50-60 mph..
Even if you start it on the ramp..

Great timing. I did just that a couple of weeks ago. Both drive shafts look to be working properly, however, the steering box has just a tiny bit of free play on the driver's side (LHD). I'm thinking of getting a new one and see if that helps.

--

Update: I just replaced all 4 tires and had the wheels calibrated. It didn't solve nor reduced the vibration.

Any additional comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks again

happy diver Nov 15th, 2020 10:20

I would check the ignition system particularly the 12v wires to coils

cam Nov 16th, 2020 07:46

Hi mate and welcome, good looking car.