Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   USB Music recognised but not playing. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215106)

V40CC Sep 30th, 2014 22:11

USB Music recognised but not playing.

Hi,

I have transferred all my music on to an 8gb USB stick and although everything is recognised it is not playing any of the music?

I have tried another stick and it does the same.

I am using a Lexar firefly, formatted to fat 32.

Any ideas?

volvorocks Oct 1st, 2014 14:44

When you say not playing, do you mean simply no sound? I might sound like I am saying 'check the kettle is plugged in because it is not boiling', but you may have reduced the volume to zero.

If you use the phone and turn the volume down, it doesn't affect say the rear parking sensor volume. Some in here for example, with other models of Volvo, have said the phone doesn't ring through the speakers for example when on bluetooth and they find that they have turned the volume down to zero for the phone,thinking they were turning down say the stereo. The button is the same one for everything.

Regards

V40CC Oct 1st, 2014 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvorocks (Post 1751183)
When you say not playing, do you mean simply no sound? I might sound like I am saying 'check the kettle is plugged in because it is not boiling', but you may have reduced the volume to zero.

Regards

No as in the volume is on, and not playing.

It recognises them, says some are unrecognisable then recognises them, then wont play anything. (freezes at the start of the track).

tt82 Oct 1st, 2014 16:33

What format are the songs in?

V40CC Oct 1st, 2014 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt82 (Post 1751234)
What format are the songs in?

MP3, one album in WMA.

It seems like it may be something to do with MP3 files downloaded off amazon?

Clan Oct 1st, 2014 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40CC (Post 1751398)
MP3, one album in WMA.

Rip one of your CD's to MP3 in Windows media player and try those .

V40CC Oct 1st, 2014 22:17

It's MP3 downloads from Amazon, I have no idea why but having removed all of the Albums I have downloaded from Amazon it works fine.

godders Oct 26th, 2014 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by V40CC (Post 1751398)
MP3, one album in WMA.

----
Is there a DRM issue with the media files that may be stopping those from playing as ripping from Win Media Player can bypass this?

andyg Oct 30th, 2014 14:07

Try MP3 files only, with a mini USB stick

I am guessing that mixing MP3 and wav might be a problem? Try just folders with MP3 files which could solve it. Also, bear in mind the original design of the USB port was for computers. That design did not take into account the shock and vibration that is experienced in a moving car. Often a standard length USB data stick will quickly shake out of the port and will not play, or will become unreliable. The best way round this is to use a micro USB like the one below. I have an 8GB version, formatted FAT32, with gazillions of tracks and it plays beautifully. Because it is so light and short it is immune to the shock and vibration problem.

*** Kingston DataTraveler Micro DTMCK/8GB 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive ***

Hope that helps,

Andy

V40CC Oct 31st, 2014 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyg (Post 1769936)
I am guessing that mixing MP3 and wav might be a problem? Try just folders with MP3 files which could solve it. Also, bear in mind the original design of the USB port was for computers. That design did not take into account the shock and vibration that is experienced in a moving car. Often a standard length USB data stick will quickly shake out of the port and will not play, or will become unreliable. The best way round this is to use a micro USB like the one below. I have an 8GB version, formatted FAT32, with gazillions of tracks and it plays beautifully. Because it is so light and short it is immune to the shock and vibration problem.

*** Kingston DataTraveler Micro DTMCK/8GB 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive ***

Hope that helps,

Andy

As stated, it was caused by MP3's downloaded from Amazon.
Shock is not generally an issue on USB, as far as connections go they are fairly solid needing pounds of force to remove, even the largest pen drives are literally grams.
Micro drives have issues with speed, so I prefer to run something a bit faster as slow drives can sometime have issues playing higher quality files in time.