Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   High Boost and crankcase pressure. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299679)

Ashc Oct 18th, 2019 21:23

High Boost and crankcase pressure.

I've been running around 19 psi on a 15g for a few years now. My camshaft seal and my distributor shaft seal are both leaking. I've replaced the camshaft seal and dismantled the distributor and replaced all of the seals. This seemed to cure things for a few months but now they're leaking again. I'm wondering if this is down to crankcase pressure? My pcv system is working well with good vacuum at idle and when revved whilst stationary.
I'm wondering if the standard pcv system can cope with higher boost?
Does anyone successfully run higher boost with no oil leaks?

mocambique-amazone Oct 18th, 2019 22:06

How many miles the engine does live till now?
Buy a oil filler cap from a Amazon later series or 140/160, add a t to the vent tube, job done.
Good luck, Kay

Ashc Oct 18th, 2019 22:49

It's done 130,000 miles, I think it's in fairly decent health. I was considering several options, including this. I wondered if the oil consumption might be excessive, pulling vacuum in the vicinity of the camshaft with the oil being flung around?
I also wondered if it might help to put a check valve in the small breather hose, that's between the inlet manifold and the larger breather hose? My thinking being it could still provide vacuum at idle, but at high boost, it will stop the inlet manifold adding positive pressure to the breather system and crankcase.

Laird Scooby Oct 18th, 2019 23:24

It should already have an NRV in the system somewhere, Volvo fitted one but i don't know where as i'm not well up on the finer points of the turbo installation. Kay can probably tell you exactly where. It could have failed and be causing your problem though.

Ashc Oct 19th, 2019 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2564068)
It should already have an NRV in the system somewhere, Volvo fitted one but i don't know where as i'm not well up on the finer points of the turbo installation. Kay can probably tell you exactly where. It could have failed and be causing your problem though.

I've already looked at the pcv system and currently there's no check valve.

Jebus Oct 19th, 2019 15:35

Pretty sure the standard system doesn't have a check valve, most people seem to get away with the standard system even with higher boost, if its struggling catch can and adapters are easy enough to sort, some good ones on Facebook page fastbricks done by viking fabrications

Laird Scooby Oct 19th, 2019 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashc (Post 2564083)
I've already looked at the pcv system and currently there's no check valve.

I wouldn't mind betting Volvo have fitted some sort of NRV in the oil separator for turbo models :

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...1/3501160.html

That would be the logical place. :thumbs_up:

mocambique-amazone Oct 19th, 2019 17:14

There is nothing inside the oil trap. Only a hole covered by black plastic.
No NRV , nothing like this.
The best solution is the oil cap with a vent and to add a Mann Pro-vent to the system.
Every B2xy Turbo will have this problem at higher boost.
Good luck, Kay

Ashc Oct 19th, 2019 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone (Post 2564205)
There is nothing inside the oil trap. Only a hole covered by black plastic.
No NRV , nothing like this.
The best solution is the oil cap with a vent and to add a Mann Pro-vent to the system.
Every B2xy Turbo will have this problem at higher boost.
Good luck, Kay

Thanks. I think this looks like the best solution, I'll give it a go.

Ashc Oct 19th, 2019 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebus (Post 2564168)
Pretty sure the standard system doesn't have a check valve, most people seem to get away with the standard system even with higher boost, if its struggling catch can and adapters are easy enough to sort, some good ones on Facebook page fastbricks done by viking fabrications

Thanks, didn't realise there was a Facebook page for RWD Volvo's, I'll join up.