Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Can i use gel battery in Volvo S60 D5 2002? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311989)

hewking Nov 23rd, 2020 00:38

Can i use gel battery in Volvo S60 D5 2002?

hi All
I am considering buying gel battery for my Volvo S60 D5 2002. I would like to have battery that is good size and allows deeper drain during camping.

Shall i consider gel battery for this purpose at all ? Any particular brand?

If i should rather buy standard battery and replace the 8 year old, undersized 74AH battery is there any brand you would recommend ? I had the old battery(silver bosh) for 8 years already but it is rather too small i must say.

Regards

staffy460 Nov 23rd, 2020 06:53

optima red top

hewking Nov 30th, 2020 12:27

Thanks for reply but is my 18 year young volvo capable of charging AGM battery?
They need constant current during charging and then constant voltage and my poor volvo might not know what is going on :(
Please advise me if you can

Georgeandkira Dec 2nd, 2020 14:47

This question lead me to reread a bunch of stuff regarding batteries.
As with all the other times, I didn't take notes because I don't need to. I just read until I got bored.

The AGM batteries' strongest feature appears to be a higher discharge rate for operating winches and large music systems whilst parked. Add to this resistance-to-vibration damage and you got THE battery for off-roaders and torturous, high speed boat racing.

AGMs don't "self-discharge" as much when not used. This is what makes them perfect for idle cars in a collection.

AGM's ability to be mounted upside-down from the boot lid is a feature few people use but it's mentioned all the time. Imagine that, obfuscation in a sales pitch.

The higher discharge rate (vis lead-acid batteries) means they can be smaller when used as "starting batteries". Unless you're installing a V8 in a 1960 Mini you have the room for a regular battery.

They are still highly vulnerable to overcharging. Keep this in mind if, in the course of human events, your battery is discharged by "leaving the lights on". Throwing Dad's old charger on it and going to bed will kill your premium AGM.

While I can't regurgitate all the technotes I've read, I do remember something about any charging system needing to be tailored to the specifics of an AGM; not too big a deal in our age of electronic sophistication. It's just that I don't believe you'll get what you pay for given that our cars were developed around FLA batteries.

Since I'm not a specialty user in any regard I've stayed with regular batteries.

When I install blue undercarriage lights and a stereo which can shatter shoppe windows as I drive by I'll look again into AGM batteries.

gammakeith Dec 3rd, 2020 17:19

If you need the vehicle battery for camping then why not install a second battery. You can then add a charge relay or a battery to battery charger to keep it topped up. That way you don't need to worry about flattening the main vehicle battery.

Keith