Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=176)
-   -   Early 740 for sale (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293882)

readview Apr 15th, 2019 11:38

Early 740 for sale

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
offering this for sale here first as i'd rather it see the road again than be banger raced,early 740gle saloon,has been stored in the owners garage for a number of years,same owner since 1990.It didn't run when we picked it up but we have fitted a new fuel pump and it now runs,engine sounds fine,autochoke may need some attention,i've driven it a short distance,clutch,gearbox etc all good,brakes binding badly and steering uj partially seized.The seats and carpet are decent,roof lining is gone,stereo works very well and the air shocks are working.It will need some welding at the rear of the sills,underbonnet looks sound and one front foglight is broken.Boot struts are shot.The body is sound but it needs a good going over and a repaint,basically if it stands another couple of years it will go past the point of no return but as is it could be on the road quite easily and treated as a rolling restoration to spread the costs.Will be one of very few early 740 saloons left I think.Asking what it owes me £350.

Foggys940 Apr 15th, 2019 12:37

Pm sent.

XCR Apr 15th, 2019 19:00

What an opportunity !

TomSaintJames Apr 15th, 2019 21:39

That looks like it could be very lovely! Interesting colour too, is it a 2.3?

Also some interesting gizmo's on the centre console, what are the three unusual thingies? One looks like a temperature gauge of sorts, not sure of the green/red dial above the arrows or the odd looking palstic thing below the temp gauge.

Good luck with the sale.

baggy798 Apr 16th, 2019 01:15

Analog thermometer.
The green/red dial with the arrows is to alter pressure in the rear shocks. Monroe air suspension system.
Thing with semi-circle screen is probably for the parking sensors.

mocambique-amazone Apr 16th, 2019 06:45

Bargain

You should ask more

If it would be on the other side of the channel I would start now to pick-up

Good luck, Kay

AllHailKingVolvo Apr 16th, 2019 08:36

If I only had the money and means to transport it to Dorset. What a treasure. I could do all the work minus the respray myself, too.

I'm keeping everything crossed that the person who ends up with it starts a restoration thread here!

john.wigley Apr 16th, 2019 09:32

Can only agree with earlier posters. It has obviously been well kept in the past too, going by its MOT history - straight passes from 2006 up to the last one in 2010.

Regards, John.

atco Apr 17th, 2019 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by readview (Post 2513066)
Hi all,
offering this for sale here first as i'd rather it see the road again than be banger raced,early 740gle saloon,has been stored in the owners garage for a number of years,same owner since 1990.It didn't run when we picked it up but we have fitted a new fuel pump and it now runs,engine sounds fine,autochoke may need some attention,i've driven it a short distance,clutch,gearbox etc all good,brakes binding badly and steering uj partially seized.The seats and carpet are decent,roof lining is gone,stereo works very well and the air shocks are working.It will need some welding at the rear of the sills,underbonnet looks sound and one front foglight is broken.Boot struts are shot.The body is sound but it needs a good going over and a repaint,basically if it stands another couple of years it will go past the point of no return but as is it could be on the road quite easily and treated as a rolling restoration to spread the costs.Will be one of very few early 740 saloons left I think.Asking what it owes me £350.

have you still got the 740 please

readview Apr 24th, 2019 15:33

The 740 is still available but I really do need the space so if anyone is interested i'm going to give it until tomorrow then it will have to go on ebay.
You can call on 01254 234382 mon-fri 9-6.
Thanks,Adam.