Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   480 Turbo Auto Cam-Belt change (Trying to) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=55510)

Paul240480 Mar 13th, 2008 15:02

480 Turbo Auto Cam-Belt change (Trying to)

Hi all.
After being involved in the cam-belt change of my 240, being expertly shown how and guided by Mike Brace I felt confident enough to begin the same on my 480.
However, I've only got as far as needing to remove the 'plug' to the right of the dip-stick, in order to lock the engine at TDC.

Try as I might I cannot get any of my tools onto the head of the bolt. I've tried long & short sockets, they get 'fouled' by a stud & bolt just below. I've tried open spanners, ring spanners & off-set ring spanners. No matter how I try I just cannot seem to get anything onto the head of the plug in a way that I can then get some 'purchase' on it.

Has anyone got a cunning 'tip' on how to remove this thing please.
Yep I am a novice at this mechanical stuff & today it's really showing!

Paul240480 Mar 13th, 2008 15:56

A second problem....

Well, after two hours total on this job I'm fast getting no where. I thought at least I could set the engine to TDC and remove the cam-belt cover, then settle down for the evening with a glass of red............ & hopefully have an answer to my first post on this in the morning. Then start afresh...........

TDC, done. Then went to remove the cover. As you face the engine from the O/S wing, the top left bolt on the cover is making the stud behind the cover spin when I turn it. So it is not coming undone, which means at the moment I can't even get the cover off.

I've tried to get a spanner in behind to hold the stud, but can't get one in as it's too tight for space.

So , in short I've had a bad day on this one! Any 'brainwaves' out there please?

dcw Mar 13th, 2008 16:22

Hi Paul

That particular bolt on the cam cover seems prone to that. I found that if you keep unscrewing the outer bolt it actually unscrews the inner "bolt" that it is fixed in to with it (hope that makes sense!). It's labourious but as it comes undone you should find the cover comes forward far enough to get a spanner inside to hold the inner bolt still (it's 11 or 12mm as I recall.) Once freed, it simply screws back into place - obvious once the cover is off.

Hope that might help!

David

Paul240480 Mar 13th, 2008 16:50

Thanks David & yes it does make sense - will give it a go in the morning.

One down & one to go.............

Paul240480 Mar 13th, 2008 21:28

Seem to be getting the views, but not that illusive snippet of advice I'm after. I must be just not seeing a glaringly obvious solution to this?

johnswlondon Mar 14th, 2008 00:22

once the cover is removed and the engine locked by inserting a pin into the tdc hole you can carefully slide the band round the sprockets and finally push it over the cam sprocket-no dismantling needed,just plenty of care.

Paul240480 Mar 14th, 2008 09:12

Thanks John, my snag is getting that bolt out so that I can 'lock' it a TDC.

Paul240480 Mar 14th, 2008 11:09

Right, after a couple of hours............. Cambelt cover is off.:thumbs_up:

As for the the plug/bolt thats out too:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

The reason I could'nt remove it................ Well I decided to try from below & saw that the 'stud' blocking me from getting to the plug/bolt was in fact a nut and bolt which helps hold the dip-stick tube in place. Now I reckon that should be fitted with the head of the bolt upwards & nut and the bolt thread below. Mine was the opposite way around, allowing the thread to stick up in the way of the plug/bolt.

Now after me cuppa' Im' going to try and finish the job!

dcw Mar 14th, 2008 14:15

Glad to hear you are making headway now Paul!

David

Paul240480 Mar 14th, 2008 17:58

Right its 1900 here now & have I finished.................. ave I eck!

Got the cam belt on (hope I've got it right) & the new drive belt.

Will finish off tomo' & fire up with fingers crossed & eyes shut LOL.

If I have cocked it up, say the belt is out one or two notches will I knacker the engine or will it just be roughly running? I know if your belting along & the belt snaps its big time damage, but what about the situation I've just described?
Cheers.
BTW - both of my old belts were starting to crack & are very 'dry'. That's after 42K miles, so under mileage but 5 years, so after reccomended time limit.