Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   XC90 Bent front subframe. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338017)

spudd Feb 10th, 2024 19:10

XC90 Bent front subframe.

Sadly my parked xc90 was hit by a merc driver. My car didn't look too bad scrape on front bumper front wing and door. His car was wedged on my side step ,when he tried to reverse back his bumper was ripped off my side step was scuffed with his paint, his wishbone snapped, engine moved and fluid inc brake fluid bonnet hinges were pushed up at least 60 mm above wing's and scuttle. when he tried to drive side of road there was an almighty twang i assume coil spring and his subframe loose. this is when i noticed my wheel pointing out and o/s straight. i sent it to my local garage who found my subframe bent and the bolt's bent on that side and track rod end bent. I have sent pictures as his insurers requested. They took details of damage over the phone and said it's borderline write off and will let me know soon. They said if a write off i can have a pay out or a lower offer and car back. Apart from his damage the car was immaculate full documented service history. My question is would it be sensible to have it back and replace subframe or could it be a can of worm's. your advice would be appreciated.

Carlosos Feb 10th, 2024 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudd (Post 2935342)
Sadly my parked xc90 was hit by a merc driver. My car didn't look too bad scrape on front bumper front wing and door. His car was wedged on my side step ,when he tried to reverse back his bumper was ripped off my side step was scuffed with his paint, his wishbone snapped, engine moved and fluid inc brake fluid bonnet hinges were pushed up at least 60 mm above wing's and scuttle. when he tried to drive side of road there was an almighty twang i assume coil spring and his subframe loose. this is when i noticed my wheel pointing out and o/s straight. i sent it to my local garage who found my subframe bent and the bolt's bent on that side and track rod end bent. I have sent pictures as his insurers requested. They took details of damage over the phone and said it's borderline write off and will let me know soon. They said if a write off i can have a pay out or a lower offer and car back. Apart from his damage the car was immaculate full documented service history. My question is would it be sensible to have it back and replace subframe or could it be a can of worm's. your advice would be appreciated.

If you like the car no reason not change the subframe. It’s not to difficult but I would ask for a quote from the garage for the work. Apart from the obvious damage it shouldnt cause any further issues.

john langrick Feb 11th, 2024 19:47

On positive side, you can give engine gearbox and front suspension a good check over as it will be removed with the sub frame.

But note if you do get it fixed unfortunately I believe it will become cat s. Not really an issue if you keep her.

In your position I would get the repair done.

John l

Clan Feb 11th, 2024 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by john langrick (Post 2935465)
On positive side, you can give engine gearbox and front suspension a good check over as it will be removed with the sub frame.

But note if you do get it fixed unfortunately I believe it will become cat s. Not really an issue if you keep her.

In your position I would get the repair done.

John l

you don't need to take the engine out to change the subframe... the volvo special tool is used to support the engine...

Tannaton Feb 11th, 2024 23:44

^^^^

What he said, sub frame is a doddle.

Get an engine support beam from eBay - sits in inner wings and has chains for the engine.

Pop off the bottom ball joints, ARB links, engine mounts, a few pipe clips and it just drops out, hardest part is steer ing rack mounts and steering column bolt. I can’t remember if you need to remove one of the power steering pipes or not.

wynnj Feb 13th, 2024 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2935496)
^^^^

Get an engine support beam from eBay - sits in inner wings and has chains for the engine.

But make sure it will extend to be long enough to fit the 90. A lot don't.