Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 brake upgrade FROM 320 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287556)

Ghost83 Oct 15th, 2018 22:32

V50 brake upgrade FROM 320

Hi,
As the title says...

I have 320 front brakes under my 18”s. Can I upgrade them to bigger ones from the XC90 range? Or as a matter fact, from any type of cars?The bigger the better for me.
Also if I upgrade the front, is it possible to put the front 320s on to the rear so that’s upgraded as well? Or I am talking nonsense?

The car is a 2009 V50 R-Design, 2.0D MW

I’ve tried to find answers to these questions but all threads are about upgrading TO 320s, not from 320s to a bigger one.

Cheers,
Greg

Simmy Oct 15th, 2018 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2457880)
Hi,
As the title says...

I have 320 front brakes under my 18”s. Can I upgrade them to bigger ones from the XC90 range? Or as a matter fact, from any type of cars?The bigger the better for me.
Also if I upgrade the front, is it possible to put the front 320s on to the rear so that’s upgraded as well? Or I am talking nonsense?

I’ve tried to find answers to these questions but all threads are about upgrading TO 320s, not from 320s to a bigger one.

Cheers,
Greg

why?:eek: 285s can make abs panic

T5R92011 Oct 15th, 2018 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2457880)
Hi,
As the title says...

Cheers,
Greg

You'd probably be better looking for Mazda 3 MPS/Focus ST aftermarket parts.

Ghost83 Oct 16th, 2018 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmy (Post 2457888)
why?:eek: 285s can make abs panic

Cos I’d love to!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ghost83 Oct 16th, 2018 09:27

Is there a website where I can check all the different cars wheel and brake specs?

Like the tyre checker app for tyres?

Yobbo Oct 16th, 2018 10:45

If you're needing a bigger brake upgrade for your 2.0D I'd seriously be addressing what you're already running in regards to front and rear discs and pads. You'd literally be wasting your money.
Also the XC90 336mm front brake upgrade won't fit due to the carriers mount holes not mounting up correctly.

I've known of a certain 400+bhp V50 T5 using genuine Volvo 320mm discs and pads without issue.

My car is running ATE Powerdiscs and ATE ceramic pads - I cannot fault them.

Ghost83 Oct 16th, 2018 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yobbo (Post 2457962)
I've known of a certain 400+bhp V50 T5 using genuine Volvo 320mm discs and pads without issue.

My car is running ATE Powerdiscs and ATE ceramic pads - I cannot fault them.

I’d love to see that car!

As to your setup, could you give me some links maybe for the parts that you have? Mine is fine I just want something a bit more aggressive.
Cheers, Greg

LizardOfBodom Oct 16th, 2018 12:00

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2457935)
Cos I’d love to!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I actually love your response, thats good enough reason for me for some mods aswell so fair play to you! :)

I know of some maniacs from US forum asking the same exact question. So far one of them upgraded calipers only - from stock Volvo to Wilwood 6-piston ones, but those work WITH 320mm discs as designed as direct replacement. I would think this is better investment than looking for bigger discs itself, but a bit pricey.

(pic below, I saved it to drool over it some time ago... :P)

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1539687608

I also heard of swaps of brake systems from S60R models.
As for simply BIGGER discs, there is rumour (source - forum, so its all hearsay) that setup from Focus RS (mk2) is possible to mount after some modifications, but its only based on research and actual mods from Ford people (it is possible to upgrade ST to RS braking system, so technically if we can upgrade to ST system itsef.... ) sounds plausible but not actually tested yet by anyone.

Im almost 100% sure its possible to put 320mm on the rears, if you dig trough SS forum you may find people doing it. Not sure how difficult it is though, or how much you can gain. I would guess upgrade of front to better calipers + good (floating?... :) ) discs can do better than fiddling with rear.

Share any research you find - Im curious whats possible, wont be upgrading anything myself but would glad to see some succesful story :)

Ghost83 Oct 16th, 2018 15:11

I just checked wilwood the other day. Yep, those are a bit on the £££ side.

I know you can upgrade to a “factory” v70 trooper fronts, but those are 320s only.

The six piston sounds “just good enough” for me!
I’ll dig a bit deeper in the subject and will report back.

That brake and rim combo looks SICK man!!!

LizardOfBodom Oct 16th, 2018 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2458043)

That brake and rim combo looks SICK man!!!

yep, hence pic is in my "drool" folder :P

BTW what are you trying to achieve? shorter braking distance, higher resistance to fading for track days or just upgrade for general purpose "because I can"?