Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   XC90 Aero Profile Load Carrier Bar Instructions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150740)

G1zmo Apr 15th, 2012 20:08

XC90 Aero Profile Load Carrier Bar Instructions

Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a set of original Volvo aero bar load carriers for my 2010 XC90 but, alas, they do not have the fitting instructions included. I know that it probably isn't quantum physics but I would like to get it right rather than drop the roof box on the motorway somewhere.

Would any kind soul have a set of these instructions that they might be able to scan and pm or post here perhaps?

I live in hope and thanks in advance.

AB-UK Apr 22nd, 2012 10:43

Gizmo,
I note that no-one has replied yet.
I don't have written instructions either since I bought my Aero bars from ebay some time ago.

Do you have the funny-shaped tool with your bars? This is a form of torque wrench, supposedly to stop you over tightening the bars.
If not, so long as you have a star-shaped allen-key type tool then you will have to tighten as much as you feel is necessary, just as every other type of roof rack is fitted.

The Aero bars have a limited spring at each end - they can be compressed a little, like a Bullworker (Exercise equipment from the 80s I recall).

Open the plastic cover by twisting the circular plastic plug. Then you open up the jaws on each end using the supplied tool, or another which fits properly.

Standing on one side of the car, push the aero bar against the roof rail on the far side, so that it goes into the "jaws" of the bar. Push the jaws on this end forward, slip over the rail on this side, and allow it to spring back with the rail inside the jaws. Hey presto - fitted! Tighten, and refit the plastic cover with the fiddly circular stud.

I have mine fitted to a roof box, which two of us can just about lift onto the roof. I put blankets on the roof first as scratch protection "just in case". I get my Wife to lower her side just inside the rails, and then I push from my side so the jaws push onto those rails, and then I clamp them onto my side.

A bit long-winded I know, but I hope it helps.

G1zmo Apr 23rd, 2012 17:00

XC90 Aero Profile Load Carrier Bar Instructions

AB-UK,

Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I too recall the 1980's fitness tool that was the Bullworker!

I do have the unusual little tool that accompanies the roof bars. It seems to be a mini plastic torque wrench. I presume the needle must be turned until it sits between the two marker posts giving approximately the correct tightness.

Good tip with the blanket as I intend to use the bars to hold a roof box also.

Thanks again.

Coconut Oct 1st, 2012 23:45

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if you still need these or not but ......

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...1/Coconut1.jpg

Jimbob71 Dec 21st, 2012 18:46

Thats great having the instructions many thanks for that also, i have just bought some off ebay too ! However i do not understand the torque wrench the plastic flange piece is fixed to the allen key so how do i read the torque ?? sorry if i appear a tad dumb

thanks

Shadeyman Apr 14th, 2013 17:52

I'm unable to download the Coconuts Roof Bar document for some reason. Can everyone else download it ok?

JmrXC90 May 21st, 2013 12:31

Did anyone manage to donwload coconuts intructions?

Davelincs Jun 17th, 2013 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JmrXC90 (Post 1419870)

No I tried this morning, and nothing

Curly59 Jul 4th, 2013 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JmrXC90 (Post 1419870)

Failed for me as well, forum admin issue?

bobdabuilda Apr 16th, 2014 14:57

Does anyone have the instructions for these bars please? I have just acquired a set and need to know the recommended fixing points and spacing between bars. Currently got the front one in line with the Bpillar and the rear one just in front of the middle support but it looks v close together.