Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Upper Ball Joints: Type/Size issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=274927)

gothamus Nov 13th, 2017 00:54

Upper Ball Joints: Type/Size issue

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks, I hope I can get some help here. I have a '65 Amazon.
The Issue:
I have been trying to replace my Upper Ball Joints. I purchased the wrong type first time. I bought the later type. [holding off on the story of me having the impression that this car is not a '66 the title says.] The later type is too big. So now I have bought the earlier type, with nozzle. The type in the car didn't have a grease nozzle, but I figured someone bought another manufacturer's. Installing today and, nope, it isn't fitting right.

The top portion that fits through the wishbone's hole doesn't make it all the way up. It screws in all the way. But there is a gap where the central fitting is rising through the hole. About a 1mm low. I thought I was having difficulty aligning things when fitting before I noticed it was securely bolted on. It looks like I need a cross between the old and new type. I don't seem to be finding this online anywhere. I looked for a previous posting here, but nothing came up regarding this. Anyone know what the deal is here? I am posting a few pictures showing my collection. The center one is what I am pulling off the car.

Also- I was not expecting there to be no rubber boot and circlip to seal things on this early type. The joint has a thick rubber seat that I guess tightens together when installed. It was sold as a 'kit', which came with the nuts and bolts, which gives me the impression that's just how they did it then.

I have to move my car across the street or down the block by Tuesday morning. Since this tightens up and the hub isn't coming off, do you guys think it would be fine to drive around the block?

Thanks for any knowledge and advice.

jimbo1593 Nov 13th, 2017 12:44

Hmmm.

I have had problems with upper balljoint replacements.
Brookhouse Volvo, a very trusted supplier, here in the UK sent me two different Upper BJs but neither fitted correctly despite correct part numbers. In my case the spacing between mounting holes was wrong.
I refitted the originals as I do not want any stress on balljoint fixings.

It could be worth getting balljoints from a different manufacturer or sticking with the original balljoints if they are not too worn.

Goodluck

gothamus Nov 13th, 2017 22:01

Feedback

I received a response from Brookhouse. They say Volvo has only acknowledged 2 types of balljoints being installed. I sent them some more pictures and they are going to check around. I'm going to do some more researching tonight. My Amazon is just goofy somehow. I love her, but weird things like this crop up. She's just not the same thing that's in the manual. Hard to pin down and just a millimeter off, little things stall the basic jobs.

I don't think there will be any harm driving across the street or around the block tonight- street cleaning in the morning.

123GT-AMAZON Nov 14th, 2017 10:21

Hi ya ,

I had this problem before I used some NOS that fitted straight on I also have another set but I think it’s a very rare issue .

Kind regards
Robert.w

Derek UK Nov 14th, 2017 12:57

When Volvo changed to the ball joint without the grease nipple they also changed the top wishbone. This means that the non greasable ones generally available will only fit the second type, later, wishbones. Change was with the following chassis numbers(as per parts book) P120 - 193800 P130 - 144400 P220 - 29400 First numbers for new type joint.
Comparing the pics you posted with the ones in the parts book (2 types only) the new left one is the early one and the new one at the right is the later one. Your used one looks to be a half way house and maybe an old type of replacement for the first type that omitted the grease nipple.
Volvo's change to the wishbone may just have been to enlarge the centre hole for the joint by a small amount so that might be an option if you have an early pair.
I like to promote Simon at Brookhouse but have you talked to Mike Dudek at iRoll Moors in Cal? Your side of the pond and a good source.

gothamus Nov 14th, 2017 18:03

Follow-up

2 Attachment(s)
Brookhouse got back to me. They looked at what they had in the yard and sent some pictures which I will include here. No need for me to worry, it is how it's meant to be. The 'halfway' type I am taking off fits so cleanly it caused me to immediately assume I had a wrong part. I'm glad they checked.

Thanks for the input. I thought my car was weird!

gothamus Nov 14th, 2017 18:27

I will have to remember to pull out that parts book. I'm 191406. I was kicking myself when I thought I had ordered a second wrong type. I'm going to remember to check the parts book next time.

gothamus Nov 15th, 2017 22:39

weird angle

1 Attachment(s)
Now I have that cleared up I put the other side on last night. Didn't take an hour. But I noticed, the wishbone looks kinda wonky. Does that seem unusual to anyone else? I am going to pull the wheel off next time I drive around and see if that looks any different. But if an alarm goes off in anyones mind, do share!

tdz840 Nov 16th, 2017 03:15

Is that an anti roll bar(blue part) i see in the last pic?
‘Appears’ to be installed incorrectly if it is?!
Russ

mocambique-amazone Nov 16th, 2017 08:50

Gothamus, I think too: your upper control arm is bent!
You can't align the car propper with a bent control arm. If you remowe the arm from the car, it should be flat.
the IPD arb seems fitted ok to me, maybe Russ does see something I won't see.
Regards, Kay