Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 2002 Front light issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284208)

Lugster Jul 17th, 2018 10:07

V70 2002 Front light issues

After some advice for front lights issue on my 2002 V70

Initially dipped beam nearside went; replaced bulb. Immediately otherwise blew; replaced that, then nearside went again.

Then near side front indicator started intermittently not working (ie not a bulb fault). Now offside has started same thing. Side repeater/rear and all other lights fine.

Nothing returned on an extensive Google search.

Has anybody seen and resolved this issue - I've made the assumption th?

I've checked and cleaned contacts on respective fuse/relay in driver foot well and light connections.

Thanks in advance

Lugster Jul 17th, 2018 10:12

*made the assumption that dipped and indicator issue are related

Ripmax Jul 17th, 2018 11:29

Did it hyperflash when one of the indicators went?

Lugster Jul 17th, 2018 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripmax (Post 2426325)
Did it hyperflash when one of the indicators went?

Yes it does hyper flash during the times when it is not working, but then normal flash when it starts working again

Ripmax Jul 17th, 2018 11:42

Then it's likely a connection issue, check your terminals, give them a scrape with a wire brush/contact cleaner. Ensure the plug is seated in the back of the headlight unit correctly.

Put some multi meter terminals on the bulb contacts and start wiggling some wires.

ASt85 Jul 18th, 2018 12:52

Re the dipped beam lamps - you need to use longlife type bulbs in these cars.

Re the indicator problem, check the earthing points mounted along both inner wing panels.

NB Georgeandkira and others recommend the use of dialectric grease to maintain the contacts of the bulb: they seem susceptible to corrosion due to trapped moisture which gets past the rubberised seal on the indicator bulb holder.

Clan Jul 18th, 2018 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugster (Post 2426333)
Yes it does hyper flash during the times when it is not working, but then normal flash when it starts working again

you need a new bulb holder for the indicator , internal connection issue,
use volvo long life H7 bulbs otherwise you will be forever replacing them .

Ripmax Jul 18th, 2018 16:02

Just out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind having to use long-life bulbs in Volvos? Surely it's just a 12V supply at the end of the day, or is there some fancy bulb testing feature that can damage bulbs?

Clan Jul 18th, 2018 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripmax (Post 2426802)
Just out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind having to use long-life bulbs in Volvos? Surely it's just a 12V supply at the end of the day, or is there some fancy bulb testing feature that can damage bulbs?

well the headlamp dip is on all the time for day running lights , normal bulbs 3 months if you are lucky , volvo ones over 2 years . depends what suits you ..

Ripmax Jul 18th, 2018 16:21

Ahh, I forgot about that, my S60 doesn't do that... My V70 did though.