Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Cam belt Country of origin ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292851)

woodways3 Mar 15th, 2019 07:31

Cam belt Country of origin ?

I recall i was suprised a while back when i took my dash out ,to see it was if i remember correctly made in Singapore.I was looking at a cam belt kit made by SKF which is a big Swedish company,and was suprised to see he belt was made in Romainia,the pulley etc was made in France.The belt did have SKF stamped on it.Where are the Volvo belts made??

Georgeandkira Mar 15th, 2019 11:56

If it helps, the Continental Contitech belt I have awaiting installation is from Germany.

woodways3 Mar 15th, 2019 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 2504438)
If it helps, the Continental Contitech belt I have awaiting installation is from Germany.

Yes of course a big tyre manufacturer.Are you saying this is a genuine Volvo cam belt?

eternal optimist Mar 16th, 2019 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodways3 (Post 2504379)
Where are the Volvo belts made??

I’m curious - why does it matter where it’s made?

XC90Mk1 Mar 16th, 2019 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodways3 (Post 2504379)
I recall i was suprised a while back when i took my dash out ,to see it was if i remember correctly made in Singapore.I was looking at a cam belt kit made by SKF which is a big Swedish company,and was suprised to see he belt was made in Romainia,the pulley etc was made in France.The belt did have SKF stamped on it.Where are the Volvo belts made??

Who cares where it is made?

Paul240480 Mar 16th, 2019 08:27

I did my 850 twice. First time I just did the cam and aux belt with Volvo ones.
2nd time it was up around 170k I decided to go the whole hog. I got an SKF kit including water pump.

Every part in the SKF kit was the same as the parts I took off, which I believe we're original. Same numbers on them even one pulley in the SKF kit was actually INA. I thought that weird, until I took the corresponding part off to find that too was INA. The SKF belts had the same numbers on them, just the Volvo name was missing.

My main dealer, some years back wanted over a 100 euros for a wheel bearing for my old 240, when I chocked at the price he told me to go down the way to Ouest Injection and order an SKF saying it's the same but it'll be around 50 euros. I did just that.

So I assume SKF are the OE manufacturers for Volvo for these parts?
HTH's .

Simmy Mar 16th, 2019 11:22

search wickipedia for volvo to find out skf links

MarvinMitt Mar 16th, 2019 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul240480 (Post 2504676)
My main dealer, some years back wanted over a 100 euros for a wheel bearing for my old 240, when I chocked at the price he told me to go down the way to Ouest Injection and order an SKF saying it's the same but it'll be around 50 euros. I did just that.

So I assume SKF are the OE manufacturers for Volvo for these parts?
HTH's .

SKF, INA, FAG.
P2 OE front wheel bearings are FAG, rears I think SKF or both?

woodways3 Mar 16th, 2019 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by eternal optimist (Post 2504638)
I’m curious - why does it matter where it’s made?

Just wondered about the quality .

Dippydog Mar 16th, 2019 20:06

I'd just go for a well known quality belt/belt kit,there are perhaps surprisingly quite a few to choose from.Contitech,Gates and INA to name just three then country of origin wouldn't be an issue.