Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   D24Tic gearbox and raito's (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=149740)

volvo-express Apr 3rd, 2012 20:24

D24Tic gearbox and raito's

Hi all,

What flavour was the last gearbox fitted in the last years of the D24. If I remember they went with the normal 5 speed. What effect would it have if I replaced the new gear box with my 4 sp with OD?
Ideally im looking to get the RPM's down.

Thanks.

Palmer Apr 3rd, 2012 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo-express (Post 1131598)
Hi all,

What flavour was the last gearbox fitted in the last years of the D24. If I remember they went with the normal 5 speed. What effect would it have if I replaced the new gear box with my 4 sp with OD?
Ideally im looking to get the RPM's down.

Thanks.

M90? Dont forget the M46 is weaker ;-)

How is the ole gal anyway?

volvo-express Apr 3rd, 2012 21:20

M46

Hey!

The car is doing well, I think the clutch release bearing is on the way out so doing some homework before it goes. I have a 8 spare injectors and I have 6 brand new Monark injectors ready to fit by Cambs injector services.
Would you belive that im still tangling with the insurance people......they are complete toss pots.....gurrrrr!!!! "bloody Co Op!"

Anyways im alway looking to improve the old girl, hense the newer gearbox and possible reducing the RPM's. If the newer gearbox is the same as in the 850/SV 70's its alot better......smoother and stronger.

Soon, its going to get a full polish so I will post up some pic's.

jor Apr 4th, 2012 22:08

AFAIK the d24s came with the m46 as standard, so 'modification' may be needed if fitting an m90. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

jor

Palmer Apr 4th, 2012 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo-express (Post 1131660)
Hey!

The car is doing well, I think the clutch release bearing is on the way out so doing some homework before it goes. I have a 8 spare injectors and I have 6 brand new Monark injectors ready to fit by Cambs injector services.
Would you belive that im still tangling with the insurance people......they are complete toss pots.....gurrrrr!!!! "bloody Co Op!"

Anyways im alway looking to improve the old girl, hense the newer gearbox and possible reducing the RPM's. If the newer gearbox is the same as in the 850/SV 70's its alot better......smoother and stronger.

Soon, its going to get a full polish so I will post up some pic's.

Still?! Bloody hell lmao!!! ;) Sweet yeah post up some pics man be nice to see the UKs mintest D24tic 940 Manual all shiny ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jor (Post 1132426)
AFAIK the d24s came with the m46 as standard, so 'modification' may be needed if fitting an m90. Look forward to seeing how you get on.

jor

They had the M90 too :)

ian2000t Apr 5th, 2012 13:19

I think most manual D24Tic's had 4spd+OD (M46). I don't think the M47 (5spd) was ever fitted to them, but some of the later 940's are 5spd - these are the M90 box.... BUT I am told these are NOT the same as (and are not interchangeable with) the redblock/whiteblock M90's.

Not sure about the ratio's but they are a better box.

What diff do you have you yours?

doingitsideways Apr 5th, 2012 22:32

Yeah, mine's got an M90 and is FAR better for it.

Much nicer, less notchy 'box and is much, much stronger too (Made by Getrag if memory serves)

Not sure about the ratios being different, I would have thought the M90 possiblt has a slighly taller top gear.

Only a d24 M90 would do though, as the bell housings can't be removed :(

Go on, get some pics up, I've heard about this minty clean motor ;)

Steve :thumbs_up:

volvo-express Apr 5th, 2012 23:25

Gearbox M90

Well the reason I was asking, is that I know the Lakes Auto's changed an D24 auto to a M46 and the gearing went up by 500 RPM. This was an unmodified car and it improved the guys MPG by 6 mpg - me thinks he used to labour the engine so it suited his driving needs. The axil/diff was from the auto so I was wondering if there was a combination that would reduce my RPM's by 500?

regarding what rear ail/diff do I have .....not sure, next time its up on ramp I will try and find out.

volvo-express Apr 5th, 2012 23:34

Pic's of the beast

6 Attachment(s)
These pic's were taken last year, when the days were long and the sun was out.
Im still lovin the wheels....... :-) Ive also have another set of 16's but never had them on the car.

doingitsideways Apr 6th, 2012 09:23

Jesus, time to put my sunnys on!!

Holy Sh1t... That IS a clean d24!!

Looks very good my man, I just wish my engine looked that clean :(

While it was out, I had bucket after bucket of engine degreaser on it and it's still nowhere near as clean as that!! :(

Love the Galaxies, they're just as mint I see! There's something about dished wheels on a 940, and indeed a 240 that just look spot on. I was after a set of Polaris' for my 940 but they're as rare as rocking horse poo!

Strange, I think, that dished wheels look odd on anything newer. I think they'd look wrong even on a 960/V90, and that's the same shape, just with different bumpers and front wings... Hense why I've just ordered a set of Pegasus' :D :D

Keep up the good work, would love to see it in the flesh one day and for it to put mine to shame!! lol

Steve :thumbs_up: