Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC40 '18> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My XC40 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281899)

teeceeeee May 16th, 2018 16:42

My XC40

1 Attachment(s)
lets get the ball rolling, here is my FE...

Considered1 May 16th, 2018 18:05

Looks great, how are you finding it?
best regards

teeceeeee May 16th, 2018 19:02

thankyou, came from an S60 D4, so similar engine..

i looked at the Jag, BMW, Audi, Nissan, Hyundai, comparisons...

and as a first edition it came with every single option ticked, and i mean everything!!

for under 40k, similar specced model now would be a fair way closer to 50k so price wise a bargain.

only done just under 200 miles, but 39.8 mpg is ok for the moment.

has great road presence and certainly attracts a lot of stares, which is weird when there are so many SUV's out there.

Wibblebum May 17th, 2018 23:00

No point posting a photo of mines, as it's identical to yours! :D I'm assuming yours is a D4 FE?

Not seen too many in the wild - 3 or 4 perhaps - and only in blue and white so far! Would have preferred mines in blue, but was never invited to a launch event by my local dealer, despite repeatedly asking, so ended up with all that was left! Hey ho....!

I'm coming up to a month in, with ~2000 miles on the clock (eek!!! need to stop driving it for a while!) and I love it..... but..... I do have some reservations.....

I've come from a 2016 XC60 D5 Polestar R-Design Lux Nav Manual, with winter illumination pack, Sensus with Harmon Kardon, which didn't have nearly as many toys as the XC40 - certainly none of the driver convenience options, so I've had no experience of those till now. Mines is a D4, so smaller engine than my XC60, no polestar either, but also a smaller, lighter car. This is also my first auto.

These reservations might disappear with time as I learn the car, and they're also probably more new Volvo reservations rather than specifically related to the XC40 - I'd guess the functions are the same on all new Volvos?

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the car interfaces. the big screen looks great, but not entirely ideal from a driver perspective if you want to change anything whilst driving - including heating, music, nav - the pretty fundamental things you'd want to change in a car on the move. I could use the voice interface, but god knows what the commands are - even the ones that are supposed to work don't, and the navigation ones that worked on the XC60 (like "cancel route guidance") don't! Argh! but yeh, I know I need to look them up, I will.... I have to....but I do miss buttons and knobs that I could press without looking.

Also found some of the driver aids to be less than helpful. I don't want to turn off safety features, but I've had to turn off lane keeping assist. There have been more than a few occasions where it seems to have tried to drive me off the road. I'm sure it's fine on a dual carriageway with clear markings, but on normal roads, it just can't handle narrow lanes, but to try to drive you off the road...? Not so good. Not so dodgy is the pilot assist - Great idea, but only useful / safe on anything with more than 1 lane and clear road markings, and even then, don't really see the point if you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel. It doesn't add any more than adaptive cruise. Oh, and Collision Avoidance seems to go off randomly, though to date, not at any point I've thought it might! Bizarre... Adaptive cruise control is great coupled with the auto box, though can be slow to move off - minor. Oh, and not managed to get pre-conditioning to work, either with a timer or on its own. Remote start works though.

and I'm averaging 31mpg with an average speed of 39mph. Even on long runs, I've not managed anything above 38mpg. The economy on my XC60 D5 polestar was better - I was averaging 36mpg. Hmm....

So I've not looked to see whether these reservations are just me, or common with other cars (or even problems I should get looked at). Curious to see what people think...

I don't feel like I've downgraded my car or engine though - the D4 doesn't feel that much less powerful than the D5 polestar. It drives well, it handles well, it rides well, it shifts, it looks good, it's comfortable, it doesn't roll as much as the XC60, and it feels like a long term car (the XC60 was a company car - that was a stupid mistake, though great car).

teeceeeee May 18th, 2018 10:18

try having a look over here. a forum dedicated to the XC40, if you havent allready..

quite active and lots of useful info

https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/

Wibblebum May 18th, 2018 19:28

Thanks - having a look, some useful threads there indeed, though when I tried to register, it appears to have flagged me as a spammer, then banned me! :shocked: Woo!

Also just found on that forum that some cars appear to have been delivered with 19" alloys and no headlight washers. Having just checked my car, it appears mines was one of them, but nobody told me! :angry_smile: My average MPG also seems very low compared to others.... Now feeling a bit miffed....

teeceeeee May 18th, 2018 20:09

ahhh, there should be a 350 quid discount for no headlight washers... if you search, there is a copy of the memo from volvo to their dealers...

i'd go and play bloody hell.. ( and put the cheque in the post!! :-) )

Wibblebum May 18th, 2018 23:37

Now also wondering if mines has the R-Design seats or not! :confused_smile: Yep, will definitely be ringing the dealer in the morning - thanks for pointing me at that site, I'd never have known otherwise!!!!!

T5R92011 May 19th, 2018 01:58

Having seen a few of these on the road, they have much better road presence than the XC60 and XC90.

I can't put my finger on it, they just look really different to other SUVs. It somehow looks much bigger at first glance than it actually is.

iain cooper Aug 29th, 2018 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by teeceeeee (Post 2404945)
try having a look over here. a forum dedicated to the XC40, if you havent allready..

quite active and lots of useful info

https://www.xc40forums.co.uk/

registered, but didn't send me link to activate?

tried to register again but telling me already registered?

Iain