Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Auto gearbox question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288346)

Anubisxc70 Nov 7th, 2018 20:22

Auto gearbox question

200 XC70 D5 awd.

Hello everyone.
I consider myself a lucky guy, because when i bought my XC the gearbox service light was on and the oil brown. Now finally is red and its behaving ...well......

My questions...its funny we know our auto gearboxes get naughty if in not good condition after being warm...well mine is wile cold, at low speeds sometimes looks like it doenst know very well between 1 or 2. but after a wile gets it right and works lovely sometimes on descente at low gas preassure looks like it flares between first and second. BUt nothing of clunks or abrute accel. i was told is the point between 1 and 2 that this gearobxes dont know very well, the best way its to press the gas pedal a bit and avoid it....any ideas?

The other thing is ...not always but most of the times...when i stop looks like she is putting 1 and you feel like a small bump like some one hits the back of your car very slightly, i think its when it wants to put 1st, no clunks.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

oragex Nov 8th, 2018 00:57

Which year again? 2001-2002 have the neutral stop feature which must be removed by the dealer. The cold hesitations may mean the valve body its a bit tired

Anubisxc70 Nov 8th, 2018 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by oragex (Post 2464813)
Which year again? 2001-2002 have the neutral stop feature which must be removed by the dealer. The cold hesitations may mean the valve body its a bit tired

oops sorry 2004....valve body tired?!!

Simmy Nov 8th, 2018 22:10

worn solenoids

Georgeandkira Nov 9th, 2018 01:22

Sure could be worn solenoids as Simmy says

Just one question. You got an '04 with dark fluid which you improved to red. Congrats.

You appreciate "gettin' on it" to make shifts happen....if I read you right.

First off...how many miles? For God's sake man, don't leave us in the dark!

Suggestion from experience anyone? Get a bottle of LubeGard (red bottle) and dose your transmission.

It's a good way to lube its inwards and is the cheapest and smartest next step.

Cheers, We're going to a wedding at a winery tomorrow.

ps I just put 1,000 miles on my '07V70 this week and while the fluid was OK when I bought it (used with 70K) the refreshments I've done with LubeGard (red) let me think about everything except my transmission. Get some.

Anubisxc70 Nov 9th, 2018 08:56

Once again im sorry.

Its a 2004 XC70 D5 awd just turn 210.000 miles.

In my task of turning my gearbox oil to red i already used one can and half of trans tune to clean it and one of lubegard and around 17 liters of 3309...and yes and lots of sumps change. Sometimes i think is just durty going around the valve body. But it was strange to me because you guys say, with temp the gearbox with issues will act up. mine is more when its cold.After warm its ok sometimes it will make it but rarely.

It also intrigues me the small bump you feel when you stop. Looks like it's engaging first gear. Sometimes it makes it sometimes it doesn't.

I already went to the dealer and ask if my car was missing any updates. They told me the last update was made in 2007, and none came out.

Many Thanks