Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   T8 mpg (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=244610)

AB-UK Feb 12th, 2016 13:52

T8 mpg

T8 fuel economy.

Whilst searching for reviews which show actual fuel economy I was rather alarmed at this review, which stated that :-

"A full battery charge should deliver about 20 miles of pure electric driving range. In our hands, the XC90 T8 reported an average of 27 mpg over a 90-mile drive that began with a full battery. "
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

27mpg strikes me as very poor for a hybrid car in general, and in particular for this car which Volvo claim (and I know it is exaggerated) is capable of 134mpg.

Could owners of the T8 hybrid report of their actual mpg figures please?

4candles Feb 12th, 2016 13:53

Thats it, i'm cancelling my order!

Carl Sberglager Feb 12th, 2016 15:14

Auto Express review sums up by stating:

While it’s a superbly refined and comfortable luxury SUV, as soon as you start using the petrol engine, economy figures plummet. If you don’t have regular access to a plug, the D5 diesel is likely to be a more efficient choice.

Deman77 Feb 12th, 2016 15:23

Not an owner but I read everything people said about it. It will be highly dependent on driving conditions and how you drive it. This is a 2.3 ton lump that is not particularly aerodynamic. If you drive light footed short trips using only electric charge you will get your high mpg. Any long trips you will get consumption of a heavily laden T6. Any lead foot action will turn on the petrol and make the mpg plummet. This car will not recover a huge amount of kinetic energy like FWD hybrids from breaking as electric drive is only on rear wheels. It's not designed for great economy but rather for comfort as it will be very smooth with all that torque. If you make it your life goal you can make it very economic too but that might just drain all fun out of owning it.

acb5 Feb 12th, 2016 18:49

You can see mpg in my fuelly tag but I have only one fill so far. I cannot get 20 miles from the battery. My trip to work is 22 miles roughly. Today I averaged 105mpg for the trip. I have done a 120 mile round trip and I averaged around 35mpg using not much electric but this was motorway most of the time. Having come from a D6 which returned 80mpg average this is a little disappointing but it is heavier, has a smaller battery so I suspected it would be considerably lower. This current tank is showing around 45-50mpg.

Deman77 Feb 12th, 2016 19:22

I still think that reviewers are wrong - T8 will outperform D5 for fuel in most situations only losing on very long trips.

Rojah Feb 12th, 2016 23:25

My T8 fuel consumption so far...

Hi there,

From my Dashboard

Average Consumption 45.5mpg
Average speed 34mph
Odometer 3793 mi

My 26 mile commute to work if fully charged (showing 21 miles on full charge) will manage about 16 to 18 miles before battery is drained. The overall mpg, now that I am getting used to all of the drive settings, is approx 75 to 85 mpg for the commute. The other day, I forgot to charge the battery, so my commute on hybrid mode got about 35mpg.

Now then, the engine is loosening up. I get approx 33 mpg on petrol only at motorway speeds of 80mph. Slower motorway runs at 60 to 65 mph yields about 39mpg. Not bad for a large car.

Word of warning on fuel consumption. If you floor it hard in power mode, then it has a serious drink problem, but gosh is it quick!

Any questions, please ask

Deman77 Feb 13th, 2016 06:54

That's outrageous. I get 27.5 combined on D5 now fuel heater is on all the time - was 29 before winter. Granted it's mainly short trips but I am yet to see a motorway trip with more than 31 average.

Considered1 Feb 13th, 2016 08:44

What's it like or how easy is it to save the electric charge for pulling away. I've always got pretty good mpg from my driving style but stopping and having to pull away again in a heavy car is where help is needed. I don't mind tinkering!

yeoman Feb 13th, 2016 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AB-UK (Post 2058682)
T8 fuel economy.

Whilst searching for reviews which show actual fuel economy I was rather alarmed at this review, which stated that :-

"A full battery charge should deliver about 20 miles of pure electric driving range. In our hands, the XC90 T8 reported an average of 27 mpg over a 90-mile drive that began with a full battery. "
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

27mpg strikes me as very poor for a hybrid car in general, and in particular for this car which Volvo claim (and I know it is exaggerated) is capable of 134mpg.

Could owners of the T8 hybrid report of their actual mpg figures please?

The comment from car and driver strikes me as slightly disingenuous.
There are just too many variables in any hybrid car and how it is used and driven, to state what you get as an average mpg without qualifying how the car was driven.
We have no idea whether the driver was accelerating like he stole the car,had the AC on full blast,is slightly hard of hearing and needed the audio at full blast etc.

The figures reported by real owners of a T8 on this and other forums ,suggest car and driver are very wrong.