Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Volvo Towing Sockets (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=218798)

Lamp Swinger Nov 27th, 2014 16:28

Volvo Towing Sockets

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased an XC60 and had it fitted with the Volvo detachable towbar and electrics. Please can someone tell me if the 13 pin socket is fully wired to provide 12volt power for battery charging/ATC and fridge? I neglected to ask the appropriate question during the negotiations.

Cheers

David

sunshinetours Nov 27th, 2014 17:17

If you paid for full caravan electrics and a Volvo detachable yes it should be

Whyman Nov 27th, 2014 19:13

My ATC works perfectly and I have no doubts about the fridge and battery charging.

Fairly simple to test just find the appropriate sockets and check with the engine running

Lamp Swinger Nov 27th, 2014 19:20

The caravan is currently covered and at our storage site, so connecting the socket is not too easy at present. I will have to test the socket with my multi-meter for now. I was hoping to save getting down on my hands and knees.

Thanks for your responses chaps!!

David

60041 Nov 28th, 2014 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamp Swinger (Post 1790421)
Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased an XC60 and had it fitted with the Volvo detachable towbar and electrics. Please can someone tell me if the 13 pin socket is fully wired to provide 12volt power for battery charging/ATC and fridge? I neglected to ask the appropriate question during the negotiations.

Cheers

David

Mine is on the XC90

micky1uk Nov 29th, 2014 16:10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamp Swinger (Post 1790578)
The caravan is currently covered and at our storage site, so connecting the socket is not too easy at present. I will have to test the socket with my multi-meter for now. I was hoping to save getting down on my hands and knees.

Thanks for your responses chaps!!

David

if you pop along to any tow bar installer they will plug a test rig on there for you & may not even charge you just be warned that some electric may stay on for a short period or timed when engine is stopped just turn the ignition to 1 & turn the heater fan on this will discharge it its norm the fridge connecter that do's this as I know I can check when stopping @ the service's my fridge is still on but 15min's later it's off until the engine is started again regards mick

Lamp Swinger Nov 29th, 2014 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by micky1uk (Post 1792152)
if you pop along to any tow bar installer they will plug a test rig on there for you & may not even charge you just be warned that some electric may stay on for a short period or timed when engine is stopped just turn the ignition to 1 & turn the heater fan on this will discharge it its norm the fridge connecter that do's this as I know I can check when stopping @ the service's my fridge is still on but 15min's later it's off until the engine is started again regards mick

Thanks for the tip Mick, good idea!!!

Nice outfit you have there too!!

David

Westyman Dec 4th, 2014 08:43

There seems to be some current limit on the towing module as when the caravan's 19 lights are on - car light's selector on Auto - the winkers and brake lights cause error messages. Tow on lights off - front DRLs are on - and everything's fine.

XC70Bob Dec 4th, 2014 09:55

First question is what error messages do you get ?
second question do the lights actually work or do they behave strangely ?

Westyman Dec 8th, 2014 22:14

All lights on the caravan work fine. When I brake a warning comes up but i cannot remember the exact wording and it goes when I release the brake pedal. Winkers are OK until I brake as well and then they go to double speed. The Volvo dealer says it's fine; the caravan maintainer says that's fine and it does the same thing on his Tonka toy tow car. I think that there are just too many bulbs on the caravan!!