Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   2.4D (2005 on) max turboboost value (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179135)

5cilinder Apr 28th, 2013 01:07

max turboboost value

What are the maximum turboboostvalues of the 2.4/d5 engine euro 3 euro 4?

Shadeyman Apr 28th, 2013 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5cilinder (Post 1405130)
What are the maximum turboboostvalues of the 2.4/d5 engine euro 3 euro 4?

I believe the Bosch MAP Sensor(measures boost pressure) has a minimum of 0bar and a maximum of 3 bar. Normal atmospheric pressure is around 1 bar so maximum positive boost would be 2 bar, more than that would be out of the range of the Bosch MAP Sensor so would cause an ECU error code(overboost).

5cilinder Apr 28th, 2013 18:05

Ok but what are de boostvalues during driving (full load)? i asume some have boostgauges or torque apps

Shadeyman Apr 28th, 2013 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5cilinder (Post 1405502)
Ok but what are de boostvalues during driving (full load)? i asume some have boostgauges or torque apps

Regardless of MAX of the gauge or the app the max boost allowed will be governed by the cars MAP Sensor.

Perhaps this will be easier to understand.

Bosch MAP Sensor minimum is 0 bar and its maximum is 3 bar. So as far as the Bosch MAP Sensor is concerned:

0 bar = A vacuum
1 bar = Normal atmospheric pressure, the air around us(0 boost on a gauge or app)
2 bar = 1 bar of turbo boost pressure(1 on a gauge or app)
3 bar = 2 bar of turbo boost pressure(2 on a gauge or app)

The values when driving change constantly between the max and min of the MAP Sensor. Foot to the floor boards under heavy load you would expect to see close to the max of the MAP Sensor, 3 bar(2 bar of turbo boost on a gauge or app).

Hope that helps ..

EDIT.
Are you asking because you plan to buy a gauge or app and need to know what range is appropriate to buy the correct one?

RobbieH Apr 28th, 2013 19:50

Might help plus the associated links, albeit for the EUIII diseasel but should put you in the ballpark

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=147745

Yes it depends on how far your right foot is into the floorboards. If you want a boost gauge, 2barg should see you OK. Under normal circumstances you wouldn't want the maximum boost to hit the limit of the MAP sensor would you?

5cilinder Apr 28th, 2013 20:43

I know the difference between absolute pressure and boost

The reason i need to know is that i have the euro4 2.4 d 163hp
If i load the rica d5 euro4 185 hp map i notice no difference in power also the boostvalue's stays with both maps at max 1.3 bar (readout with torqueapp)
I assume that with higher power with remaps you need more boost to supress excessive smoke

I also have the suspiscion that maybe the standard map is a d5 map because after the dpf softwareupgrade (wich gave problems with loading at volvo and they used something different in the end) the car seemed to have more power with the standard software than before

Shadeyman Apr 28th, 2013 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5cilinder (Post 1405655)
I know the difference between absolute pressure and boost

The reason i need to know is that i have the euro4 2.4 d 163hp
If i load the rica d5 euro4 185 hp map i notice no difference in power also the boostvalue's stays with both maps at max 1.3 bar (readout with torqueapp)
I assume that with higher power with remaps you need more boost to supress excessive smoke

I also have the suspiscion that maybe the standard map is a d5 map because after the dpf softwareupgrade (wich gave problems with loading at volvo and they used something different in the end) the car seemed to have more power with the standard software than before

I'm not 100% sure about this but I think you have to alter more than just the map to achieve the extra HP. I'm sure things like the length of the turbo's actuator rod has to be fine tuned to the map that's being used for it to produce the correct level of boost. I may be wrong but I'm sure I read about this somewhere and it wasn't as easy as just swopping the map.

5cilinder Apr 28th, 2013 22:02

The euro4 2.4d and D5 are exactly the same engines hardwarewise, only different software
I also have the 205 hp map wich gives more power wich i still need to test for the boostvalue

I just need to know the measured values from the same engines from people here that can see the values with gauges or obd2 apps
because if the d5 map is 163hp and not 185 hp i need the tuner to rectify it but before i complain i need to be sure

Shadeyman Apr 28th, 2013 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5cilinder (Post 1405746)
The euro4 2.4d and D5 are exactly the same engines hardwarewise, only different software
I also have the 205 hp map wich gives more power wich i still need to test for the boostvalue

I just need to know the measured values from the same engines from people here that can see the values with gauges or obd2 apps
because if the d5 map is 163hp and not 185 hp i need the tuner to rectify it but before i complain i need to be sure

If what you say is correct and the hardware is exactly the same it can only be the map, time to give your tuning guy a call I think.

5cilinder Apr 28th, 2013 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeyman (Post 1405760)
If what you say is correct and the hardware is exactly the same it can only be the map, time to give your tuning guy a call I think.

That's what i said, but before the call i want to know what other people readout as boostvalue's