Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Clutch for B234F+T with M90 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309631)

rogerthechorister Sep 4th, 2020 10:07

Clutch for B234F+T with M90

As we all know the Diesel Sachs clutch is the "normal" way to mate a B234F engine to an M90 (something to do with splines, I think) - but recently I have been hearing that in fact that clutch is not tough enough and I would destroy it on a weekly basis with a B234F+T. And I do not want the cost of a TTV setup if it can be humanly avoided.

I am not aiming for a firebreathing monster - maybe a 16T and maybe 250 bhp, standard rev limits.

What does the team think?

360beast Sep 4th, 2020 12:01

Diesel clutch setup should be good for 300hp and lots of torque.

What sort of power are the ones destroying them?

Also I can't find either of my 760 intercoolers at the moment but I will keep looking.

classicswede Sep 4th, 2020 19:35

If you are going to tow anything the diesel clutch is not going to be strong enough. If you are gentle on the clutch then they will hold in the region of 300BHP but if you know that is where you are going to be something stronger with spare capacity would be much better

rogerthechorister Sep 8th, 2020 11:27

Intercooler and clutch

It's OK 360, I've got an intercooler now thanks.

Interestingly different views on the clutch. I am only aiming for about 250 bhp, quite mild for a B234F+T - but yes, I will almost certainly be towing a small caravan. Unless I reserve a different Volvo for towing!

I was told by a fairly well known tuner that he ate 3 diesel clutches in a year - one in 3 days - on a "mildly tuned 8 valve" and I would have thought over 250 bhp on an 8 valve was getting fairly radical.

OTOH the plans I first laid so long ago with Slater were for a diesel clutch and Slater tends to have a fair idea what he is doing!

I remember somebody who used to be on here a lot had a brute of an 8V with oversized valves claiming 400 bhp, until he dropped a valve educating a Beemer, and that was the end of his head. But I can't remember who it was nor what clutch he was using - although I would have expected the DMF to give up long before that.

Bearing in mind the price of a TTV setup I am tempted to go diesel clutch and if I smash it the RAC can take me somewhere and then I can put a TTV in, and that way I will not waste too much money going OTT. But the jury is still out.

Steve940estate Sep 15th, 2020 20:27

The diesel clutch on my 940 is starting to slip a bit now. It's done some towing and the engine is probably a bit more powerful than standard.
I've only towed a small caravan, a few car trailer trips and a smallish kart trailer though. For the money it hasn't done bad and it's been in the car for just over 10 years !

I have driven it reasonably carefully so that's probably helped but if your plan is to leave black lines away from every traffic light then something better might be a good idea.

I have read about the current offerings and the spigot bearing seems a good idea, anyone know what make the Skandix kit is ? I assumed it was genuine Volvo but can't see any reference to it anywhere else.

petercz Sep 16th, 2020 12:16

No way the diesel clutch can handle 300hp, I have 200hp and 330Nm and it start slipping after maybe 20t miles. So I´m also looking for some solution, you can buy Sachs performance kit, but it´s not cheap.

classicswede Sep 16th, 2020 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by petercz (Post 2665324)
No way the diesel clutch can handle 300hp, I have 200hp and 330Nm and it start slipping after maybe 20t miles. So I´m also looking for some solution, you can buy Sachs performance kit, but it´s not cheap.

I do a strong paddle clutch for the dished flywheel but you still have a very heavy flywheel. The best option is to go with the TTV 240mm flywheel and clutch

Steve940estate Sep 17th, 2020 00:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by petercz (Post 2665324)

I've been doing a bit more reading and have found Sachs pressure plates can be used along with a standard clutch discs. Where are the performance kits listed ?

petercz Sep 17th, 2020 09:54

Sachs 883082 999763
+
Sachs 881864 999996 or Sachs 881864 999993

...hope it's not listed wrong

How is the paddle clutch usable for daily driver?

360beast Sep 17th, 2020 12:36

This is the kit I have for mine

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Sachs..._17168963.aspx