Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   A few 740 bits wanted (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=245554)

tofufi Feb 26th, 2016 19:45

A few 740 bits wanted

Hi Folks,

I'm after a couple of bits to tidy up my 740 a little - it's a '90 with the facelifted front end.

-LH headlight (or at least the glass) - I think these are the same as early 940?
-RH front indicator
-Luggage/boot cover (are these the same as 940?)
- Washer fluid reservoir rubber doughnut between filler neck and reservoir.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any of those bits? :)

I'm not sure how the luggage cover fits, so if anyone has any photos of how it fits that'd be great :)

Pete940 Feb 26th, 2016 20:10

I have a 940 headlight, but since 740's went through some changes I'd need to make sure it was right. By indicator are you talking about the little side repeater? I could probably take that off my 940 as well. Have you got a picture of the 740, or does it just look like every 940 (all 940's are the same)?

Triple-S Feb 26th, 2016 20:22

A shame: I recently sold my 740 estate which I fitted the proper load-carrier from my spares-car into, and left it there even though the new owner didn't say he wanted it.
I'm not too sure but a friend with one bought the cover off ebay BUT didn't get the mountings, and the correct mounting brackets are essential. I've made many a bracket in my days but those on mine were very special, yet my friends similar-age car ('85) needed different brackets - dunno why. We tried mine and where they had to go was occupied by something else.
I'll mail him to see if he overcame the problem as my memory is a bit blank nowadays.

P

Prufrock Feb 26th, 2016 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofufi (Post 2067744)
Hi Folks,

I'm after a couple of bits to tidy up my 740 a little - it's a '90 with the facelifted front end.

-LH headlight (or at least the glass) - I think these are the same as early 940?
-RH front indicator
-Luggage/boot cover (are these the same as 940?)
- Washer fluid reservoir rubber doughnut between filler neck and reservoir.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any of those bits? :)

I'm not sure how the luggage cover fits, so if anyone has any photos of how it fits that'd be great :)

Facelift 740 headlamps are not the same as 940, facelift front lamps can be tricky to source. Luggage cover was an option and you need two tabs as well as the cover for it to work(fit).

Try a Volvo dealer for the lamps and doughnut.

Jon
700/900 Register Keeper VOC.

rwdkev Feb 26th, 2016 23:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2067893)
Facelift 740 headlamps are not the same as 940, facelift front lamps can be tricky to source.

Surely it depends on which level of 740 we are talking about.....?

I thought lower spec facelift have a unique to 740 front end but higher spec facelift cars (GLT 16V, Turbo) are the same as 940.....or am I wrong...?

Prufrock Feb 27th, 2016 06:25

Perhaps then you should reply to the OPs question.

Jon

tofufi Feb 27th, 2016 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete940 (Post 2067768)
I have a 940 headlight, but since 740's went through some changes I'd need to make sure it was right. By indicator are you talking about the little side repeater? I could probably take that off my 940 as well. Have you got a picture of the 740, or does it just look like every 940 (all 940's are the same)?

Thanks for the help. I suspect mine is a low spec 740. It has heated/electric mirrors (not sure if standard?), cloth trim and no a/c. :)
I have a pair of 940 headlamps but they have (I believe) fog lamps in them and aren't the same...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...219_075544.jpg

I'm afraid I'm looking for the front left indicator right next to the headlamp - I'm pretty sure these are different to the 940 ones as I tried fitting a 940 one to mine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple-S (Post 2067775)
A shame: I recently sold my 740 estate which I fitted the proper load-carrier from my spares-car into, and left it there even though the new owner didn't say he wanted it.
I'm not too sure but a friend with one bought the cover off ebay BUT didn't get the mountings, and the correct mounting brackets are essential. I've made many a bracket in my days but those on mine were very special, yet my friends similar-age car ('85) needed different brackets - dunno why. We tried mine and where they had to go was occupied by something else.
I'll mail him to see if he overcame the problem as my memory is a bit blank nowadays.

P

Doh, thanks for the help. I'll have to keep an eye out for the mounting brackets. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2067893)
Facelift 740 headlamps are not the same as 940, facelift front lamps can be tricky to source. Luggage cover was an option and you need two tabs as well as the cover for it to work(fit).

Try a Volvo dealer for the lamps and doughnut.

Jon

Thanks :) I don't suppose there's a part number for the doughnut?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwdkev (Post 2067921)
Surely it depends on which level of 740 we are talking about.....?

I thought lower spec facelift have a unique to 740 front end but higher spec facelift cars (GLT 16V, Turbo) are the same as 940.....or am I wrong...?

Pic above :)

Prufrock Feb 27th, 2016 08:43

As I suspected it's a facelift 740 (either a GL or GLE: judging by the wheels and electric mirrors it's a GLE). No such thing as a low spec 740 really, they're all quite well equipped - and a/c is a super rare option on a UK 740.

As mentioned the facelift lamps are tricky to source, I suggest - again - you call a Volvo dealer, for the doughnut too.

Jon

tofufi Feb 27th, 2016 10:02

I forgot to mention, both rear mud-flaps are damaged, so I'm after a pair of those too. :)

MECLAYPO Feb 27th, 2016 10:42

Hi,
what parts are you after? I think I have a pair of mudflaps and also an indicator from a 1988 740.

My car becam beyond reasonable repair so it went to the breakers last month. However, I stripped all the useful bits off it and I had been collecting parts for a couple of years.

I have a luggage cover from a 940 (grey I think), also luggage guard and 7 seat conversion.

Basically a garage load of parts which I am trying to get a little for, but mostly to empty the space.

I am in Swansea so it isn't far from Bristol.