Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Alarm siren buggered (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306356)

robsterpaterson May 27th, 2020 11:46

Alarm siren buggered

Hi all. How much of a ball-ache is it to disconnect the alarm? My '11 plate D5 has been randomly going off now & again so I need to get around to stripping it out to see if I just need to change the battery, or if it's too late and is properly dead.
What kind of access/complexity am I facing? Thanks in advance.

Clan May 27th, 2020 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsterpaterson (Post 2632875)
Hi all. How much of a ball-ache is it to disconnect the alarm? My '11 plate D5 has been randomly going off now & again so I need to get around to stripping it out to see if I just need to change the battery, or if it's too late and is properly dead.
What kind of access/complexity am I facing? Thanks in advance.

There is no "ALARM" as such it uses components already on the car , if it keeps going off its one of the Radio frequency motion senors , either the front one or the rear one .. You need to get the codes read to determine what is setting off the alarm .

Tannaton May 27th, 2020 13:45

^^^^^ That...

If you simply remove the siren you will then get a permanent error message on the dash.

Clan May 27th, 2020 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2632910)
^^^^^ That...

If you simply remove the siren you will then get a permanent error message on the dash.

90% chance it is the rear one in my experience 👍🏻

Father Ted May 27th, 2020 19:57

Reason for my false alarms was the siren. Due to battery corrosion the siren was damaged and kept "dropping" off the system, resulting in a false alarm.

You need to use VIDA to determine the actual cause. If it is the battery, the sooner you remove it and address the damage, the better the chance of saving the board.

robsterpaterson May 27th, 2020 22:25

Thanks folks. I was hoping it was merely a case of isolating the module - who pays attention to car alarms these days anyway.
I'll try deactivating the internal sensor(s) using the button on the console to clarify if its a sensor or leaking battery issue, in the meantime I'll also ask around for VIDA access around South Ayrshire...

RichT4 May 28th, 2020 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsterpaterson (Post 2633044)
Thanks folks. I was hoping it was merely a case of isolating the module - who pays attention to car alarms these days anyway.
I'll try deactivating the internal sensor(s) using the button on the console to clarify if its a sensor or leaking battery issue, in the meantime I'll also ask around for VIDA access around South Ayrshire...

You can isolate the module itself, but you'll need to pull out the wheel arch on the drivers side. Inside the wing tucked away is the actual alarm siren.

Clan May 28th, 2020 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by robsterpaterson (Post 2633044)

well the answer is you and you only , It might frighten away the casual thief .

john langrick May 28th, 2020 17:14

Hi, my solution would be replace the module. Not hugely expensive and take no longer than a couple of hours. The Volvo kit includes instructions, new rivets and security screws.

To me well wort the investment. And no messages on the dash. It also will not potentially compromise your insurance.

John l