Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What does you 700/900 mean to you? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155468)

NewVolvo Jun 15th, 2012 19:01

The 780 is my pride and joy and only ever gets out when the sun is out! :D

swedish brick Jun 15th, 2012 21:00

Im a classic Ford fan myself, possibly not something to admit to on a Volvo forum!!
I have always liked old Volvos aswell though, they all have a certain style that other cars dont have. Even back in the days when all cars were square you could always tell a Volvo. They are also very well made, reliable and they dont seem to rust half as badly as other cars of the same vintage! (Fords!)

So, I thought id get myself a Volvo to use through winter and to use for 'dirty' work to save my Capri from rusting away! I got a low mileage 1991 340 1.7GL and loved it, so much so it became the daily and the Capri only got used in good weather and as a toy. This was about 10 years ago, and since then ive added a mk2 Granada estate and a mk2 Transit to my Ford collection, but ive always had a good old Volvo aswell, for the daily duties and general jobs.
I sold the 340 and replaced it with a 1979 244DL then replaced that with my current 1987 740GLE saloon and ive never had any problems from any of them!
I dont really need a car for daily use anymore as I have a company van, but I just cant seem to bring myself to sell the 740. Its far to good not to have!
Of all the Volvos ive had the 740 is definatly my favourite, it looks good, really nice to waft about in and just seems to have a bit of road presence.
Its great having a car like this that is still so capable, even in modern road conditions, fuel prices etc etc and still stand out from the crowd of dull moderns.

doingitsideways Jun 16th, 2012 00:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neoott (Post 1186522)
Its like if ikea made cars, oh wait...

They do! ;)

Attachment 49522

Ha ha ha!! :D

Steve :thumbs_up:

Laney760 Jun 16th, 2012 00:27

Mine are everything! Space, comfort, class, safety, galvanised rustproofness, reliability, different (square), fun, workhorses but they have a big downside - they encourage hoarding, one is not enough! And they come with an added bonus - voc forum!

doingitsideways Jun 16th, 2012 01:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laney760 (Post 1186972)
Mine are everything! Space, comfort, class, safety, galvanised rustproofness, reliability, different (square), fun, workhorses but they have a big downside - they encourage hoarding, one is not enough! And they come with an added bonus - voc forum!

EVERYTHING above!!

Also, all that space encourages carrying all sorts of unneccessary crap, wich is bad for the fuel...

So swap to a diseasel and you're sorted!! :D

Steve :thumbs_up:

rippedoffagain Jun 16th, 2012 01:38

As a former owner of dear Helga (a 940 estate), and now temporarily in a piece of french tinsel, there is an option missing from the poll.

940 - the single best vehicle I've ever driven, and the only car I genuinely miss.

Give me one other vehicle that meets the all of the following criteria: Low maintenance, extremely comfortable, fun to drive, almost as capable as a van when it comes to moving stuff, cheap as chips, surprisingly reasonable on fuel given the size and weight, surprisingly agile, and with genuine character.

FossilFish Jun 16th, 2012 09:59

1 Attachment(s)
Its everything that a dad of two kids needs!

My ones a HPT so its fun for with added boost, had a city boys 3200 GT Maserati which was side by side for longer than I thought possible in a 940. I work in W1 london and park this along side far posher cars but is not out of place old and cheap looking...it still cuts the mustard!

Its no brick, great design IMHO. My brother had a Sports car and it had a great engine (Sound and performance) great seats, great everthing but nothing meshed as one complete package, this does...Its like having the best of everthing Scandi style, power, comfort and most of all space--DAM THOSE DOOR CARDS!!!

If Saab made the early 9000 as pictured it might have ticked all boxes with a better seat and seating postion but not as much space.

I love it for what it is and what it does to make my day to day chores easy, the one down side is that with two car seats in the back you can't gorp at women as they and other drivers think your a perv, so I now only tend to look ahead when they pass by...so in a sence it makes me lead a purer life (IS IT ONLY ME)

Raz

FossilFish Jun 16th, 2012 10:50

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swedish brick (Post 1186832)
Im a classic Ford fan myself, possibly not something to admit to on a Volvo forum!!
I have always liked old Volvos aswell though, they all have a certain style that other cars dont have. Even back in the days when all cars were square you could always tell a Volvo. They are also very well made, reliable and they dont seem to rust half as badly as other cars of the same vintage! (Fords!)

So, I thought id get myself a Volvo to use through winter and to use for 'dirty' work to save my Capri from rusting away! I got a low mileage 1991 340 1.7GL and loved it, so much so it became the daily and the Capri only got used in good weather and as a toy. This was about 10 years ago, and since then ive added a mk2 Granada estate and a mk2 Transit to my Ford collection, but ive always had a good old Volvo aswell, for the daily duties and general jobs.
I sold the 340 and replaced it with a 1979 244DL then replaced that with my current 1987 740GLE saloon and ive never had any problems from any of them!
I dont really need a car for daily use anymore as I have a company van, but I just cant seem to bring myself to sell the 740. Its far to good not to have!
Of all the Volvos ive had the 740 is definatly my favourite, it looks good, really nice to waft about in and just seems to have a bit of road presence.
Its great having a car like this that is still so capable, even in modern road conditions, fuel prices etc etc and still stand out from the crowd of dull moderns.

My dad had a Cortina and a boy at schools dad (who looked like Mel Smith) had a Chasseur like pic and I so wanted my dad to have one but they were expensive back then dispite my dad getting a 30% for discount as he worked at Dagenham line. Upload a pic or two of your Ghia X I see a few 2.8i but can't remember when I last saw a estate on the road.

treehorndogsbody Jun 16th, 2012 11:02

5 Attachment(s)
Having had six Volvos for the last few years I am now down to four. What do they mean to me........They are my own money pits and stop me spending money on luxury items such as food and shoes, as when they are in need they get preference to all else. I love driving any of the four but feel a million dollars when driving the 960 Royal. The Royal turns heads where ever it goes and is much admired by other 900 series owners.
The cars keep me poor due to their drinking habit and the cost of keeping them taxed and insured,the maintainance is reasonable just times four. If I did not spend money on them I would only squander my money on silly things like bread and teabags. I would not change a thing, long may they raid my bank account.

Dr. Rog Jun 16th, 2012 13:20

Best thread of the year. :)

Clearly most 900's and a good few 700's are so good as to be the "main" car. That in itself is a wonderful thing.

I have made the mistake of buying a far more modern car, albeit a similar vintage, intending to get rid of the thirsty auto 940, but I cannot do so - its just too good.

Too comfortable, (the seats not the ride), too solid, too reliable, (Much more reliable, too relaxing to drive, and too practical with its flat load bay with the seats down.

I am seriously thinking about a diesel conversion. Although that's too big a project for me so a XC70 seems a better option...