Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=81190)

XC60Owner Sep 28th, 2009 10:35

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

When I go over 85 mph I get an annoying whistling sound which I think is caused by wind on the wing mirror over the passenger side. But I don't get it from the driver's side. That side of the car was resprayed and maybe the wing mirror was removed but I don't know. But it is all solidily in place and nothing looks wrong at all. So then I thought maybe the windscreen wipers have some affect on that side, but noise always there even when they are moving. It could perhaps be coming from the passengher air vent behind the dash (hard to work out exactly where) so I shut off the air intake but noise still there.

I can't work out if this has always been there or if something has happened when the car was in the garage, I've had the bonnet up and everything - it all looks fine.

Does anyone else get a wind-whistling sound from just the left wing mirror at high speed?

tem Sep 28th, 2009 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC60Owner (Post 566004)
When I go over 85 mph I get an annoying whistling sound which I think is caused by wind on the wing mirror over the passenger side. But I don't get it from the driver's side. That side of the car was resprayed and maybe the wing mirror was removed but I don't know. But it is all solidily in place and nothing looks wrong at all. So then I thought maybe the windscreen wipers have some affect on that side, but noise always there even when they are moving. It could perhaps be coming from the passengher air vent behind the dash (hard to work out exactly where) so I shut off the air intake but noise still there.

I can't work out if this has always been there or if something has happened when the car was in the garage, I've had the bonnet up and everything - it all looks fine.

Does anyone else get a wind-whistling sound from just the left wing mirror at high speed?

With the wipers in use, I get a whistling noise from the drivers wiper, when driving in strong, cross winds (left to right).

Confused me at first, as this did not happen with the two XC90's that I owned.

tem.

JackRussel Sep 28th, 2009 12:10

Quote:

Never noticed it.

XC60Owner Sep 28th, 2009 13:19

I think I would have noticed it before, which makes me think the garage has done something. But who knows what? It all looks tight and well fitted. Any ideas what to look for?

NewVolvo Sep 28th, 2009 14:46

Maybe the wing mirror just need tightning up a bit. Open door and see if you can get off the panel cover. If ok, see if anything needs adjustment.

It could also be something stuck on the outside of the mirror housing. Perhaps it just simply needs a coat of wax (I am not kidding, wax makes it slippery in the wind and may actually help - it did for me a few years ago!).

If still there, bring it to Volvo to have a look at.....

wimorrison Oct 12th, 2009 17:48

Did you ever get to the root of this issue? I found yesterday that when I was travelling at about the same speed as you suggest and I opened the driver window for a second the whistling was incredible - I have looked around and cannot see what might be causing it :(

Would love to know how your noise was cured

Iain

XC60Owner Oct 13th, 2009 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by wimorrison (Post 572823)
Did you ever get to the root of this issue? I found yesterday that when I was travelling at about the same speed as you suggest and I opened the driver window for a second the whistling was incredible - I have looked around and cannot see what might be causing it :(

Would love to know how your noise was cured

Iain

Hmmmm, that's interesting. Mine is on the passenger side not the driver's and audible when window is closed.

Can you hear anything with you window up? Putting the window down on mine at 85mph is very loud indeed but a roar of wind as opposed to a whilstle.

Unfortunately I live in london so don't get many opportunities to do 85mph. I did tape up the window seals as a test but whistling still there. Am going to go overboard with some masking tape and tape up the whole front side (and wing mirror) when next on motorway, if the noise is still there after that then I guess it may just be the profile of the car!

I've been working on the assumption that the garage have not put something back properly or something is loose but I'm not confident I am going to be able to find out what. I may have to live with it as I dread the thought of going back to the dealer after the last disaster with them.

rippedoffagain Oct 13th, 2009 12:16

Quote:

When I go over 85 mph

I presume you mean on a private road or track, or some stretches of Germany's autobahn network?

XC60Owner Oct 13th, 2009 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippedoffagain (Post 573207)
I presume you mean on a private road or track, or some stretches of Germany's autobahn network?

Of course!

andy.cass Oct 14th, 2009 06:12

I've only had my XC60 a couple of days and have noticed the whistle at speeds above 50mph from the drivers side only. It's worse in high cross winds and suggests a leak in either the windscreen sealant or in the way the door seals to the body. The buffeting wind noise on the outside is a product of the mirror design. I will leave to see how this develops and mention to the dealer at my 3k check. Otherwise, great car.