Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1.9D crank locking hole (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=207548)

Umski Jun 13th, 2014 10:01

1.9D crank locking hole

Hello again folks!

Following on from my water pump issue, that's now replaced and I decided to do the timing belt at the same time while it's all apart...

I'm struggling to find the location of the hole which allows the 8mm locking pin to go in (thanks to Biotoxic's excellent visual guide everything else makes sense). The documented location seems to show it being just to the left of the clutch slave and to the right of the air pipe going to the intercooler, but I can't see it :( Unless I'm being completely daft and have missed it! There is one threaded hole but when tried to poke something into it it seems to be closed, which I would expect otherwise oil would be coming out...

Does anyone have a pic showing the relative location please? (and do I need to remove any other bits to get to it?)

Thanks, as always

Matt86 Jun 13th, 2014 15:55

Haven't got a picture handy unfortunately, But where the Oil filter is, Just below that to the right is a hole sticking out. that's it. It MIGHT have a plug in it but doesn't normally.

If your still having problems locating it I'll go get a picture later tonight when I get chance.

Umski Jun 13th, 2014 16:33

Thanks Matt, that's the one I think I was prodding but wouldn't allow me to shove anything too far. Is it so tight that if the crank isn't in the exact position it would stop? A pic would be useful just to make sure I'm poking the right hole, so to speak ;)

Matt86 Jun 13th, 2014 17:57

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3caa60de.jpg

I believe that is what is meant to be the hole. Once the crank is TDC you might need to slightly rotate it back or forth to get the locking pin to go all the in and lock the crankshaft. Double check it is locked before starting any work.

Umski Jun 14th, 2014 09:58

Thanks, yes that's the one I've been trying but can only get a piece of wire in about 3cm - not even beyond the thickness of the casting, I think. However it doesn't help that air hose to the intercooler gets in the way :( I'm taking another look this morning and will rotate the crank slightly to see if it helps. Otherwise I'm scuppered as can't undo the crank pulley bolt :/

Matt86 Jun 14th, 2014 11:30

Try it, If it doesn't work I might be mistaken. but it's around that area it's meant to be as just below the oil filter is where you "could" install a dipstick.

neanderthal Jun 14th, 2014 14:12

4 Attachment(s)
on my 1.9d 2003 renault engine its here....behind the oil breather pipe.follow the garden cane.....see pictures... and its star shaped....i can't remember which socket i used to remove it may have been a 12mm....in the 4th picture do not use a steel piece longer than 6.5" otherwise the radiator will get in the way....

Umski Jun 14th, 2014 16:41

Well I did it in the end without locking the crank (although neanderthal's pics show it's something I didn't find - it may well be there but hidden amongst all those pipes)!

Applied a bit of common sense and took the cam cover off to check that all the valves were indeed closed at TDC. Once that was ok then it was a case of undoing the pulley bolt which was the tricky bit as there is no resistance without the crank lock. I stuck it in gear with the wheels down and gave it the heave-ho - twisted the head on my 3/8" driver in the process but finally undid it with the 1/2" on the torque wrench (I know bad form) and then just rotated the crank round to the position shown in Biotoxic's guide as TDC. Slipped on the new belt and turned by hand but didn't feel right so I think the belt was one tooth out so off it came, slipped it round one notch and turned by hand again twice. Seemed ok so fired it up and everything seemed good - no bad noises :thumbs_up:

So then re-assembled the remaining bits - again due to the lack of crank lock, getting the pulley bolt up to 120Nm was tricky but again applied the 'in-gear' trick and all good - surprising how much drag the ancillary belt causes! Flushed the cooling system (undid bottom hose as again couldn't get to the tap on the other side), added 2.5L of anti-freeze + 1L water (assuming what's left inside is water, that's roughly 50:50) as this is all it would take and ran it up to temp - no sign of the fan kicking in and bang on half way on the temp as usual :thumbs_up:

Now for a test drive and then a rest if all ok :beer_yum:

Thanks again chaps :thumbs_up:

And7099 Jan 21st, 2015 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt86 (Post 1669141)
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3caa60de.jpg

I believe that is what is meant to be the hole. Once the crank is TDC you might need to slightly rotate it back or forth to get the locking pin to go all the in and lock the crankshaft. Double check it is locked before starting any work.

This is not the hole it is for hoisting engine out the hole is to the right and lower you have to remove the ally pipe fully to access a 12mm bolt then use a 8mm drillbit.

George24Forum May 23rd, 2020 15:51

S40 1.6 Petrol, crankshaft locking issue

Thanks for the thread.
I am running into the similar issue.
I am trying to replace the timing belt in my S40 1.6 Petrol (Engine code B4164S3) and try to lock crankshaft with the locking pin 9997201. I'm struggling to find the location of the hole which allows the locking pin 9997201 to go in.

Dose the engine has the hole for locking crankshaft?
If yes, does anyone have a pic showing the relative location please,
Many thanks