Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   C70: How to Reset SRS warning light? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130476)

boardrider5050 Jul 28th, 2011 15:13

How to Reset SRS warning light?

Hi,

I had to take out my drivers seat and replace the runners but before re-connecting the plugs under the seat I started the engine and the SRS warning light came on. They are all connected now but the light is staying on. Is there a trick to reset it? Can anyone recommend a cheap OBDII tool that can reset it if not?

Cheers

The Hooded Claw Jul 28th, 2011 15:21

There is NO WAY to re-set it WITHOUT going into a dealership I'm afraid If you explain what happened i'm sure they will be sympathetic & do it fer a few quid

Keith

acshortt5 Jul 28th, 2011 15:24

The system does a self check every time you turn the ignition on so a fault must still be present.

Once you find and cure the fault the light should go out.

As Keith has implied you need either a VCT2000 or a DICE to communicate with the car. Either via a dealer or someone else who has the equipment and knows how to use it properly.

For the pre me7 stuff I seem to recall that VADIS advises you to put the ignition key into pos I before reconnecting the battery after playing with SRS stuff. It might be different for ME7.

Find out how to fix it before going any further.... replacing air bag modules is very expensive, esp the SIPS which are £600 per side.

october37 Jul 28th, 2011 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardrider5050 (Post 955147)
Hi,

I had to take out my drivers seat and replace the runners but before re-connecting the plugs under the seat I started the engine and the SRS warning light came on. They are all connected now but the light is staying on. Is there a trick to reset it? Can anyone recommend a cheap OBDII tool that can reset it if not?

Cheers

Try discooecting the negative battery terminal. Wait about ten minutes before reconnecting. This worked on a previous V70 I had.

christheancient Jul 28th, 2011 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by october37 (Post 955158)
Try discooecting the negative battery terminal. Wait about ten minutes before reconnecting. This worked on a previous V70 I had.

Also...

Before reconnecting the battery, switch the ignition to position II, this sometimes helps by giving the electronics a 'soft' start. I discovered this tip somewhere in the forums (goodness knows where) when I was doing quite a bit of work on my V70 where I kept taking out the top half of the dash - and because of the passenger airbag, I always disconnected the battery. Each time I reconnected, I was getting the dreaded flashing up arrow for the auto box (cleared by starting, stopping and restarting about five times... a right pain).

Read the tip about the 'soft' start and never had the problem again.

Worth a try, anyway.

The Hooded Claw Jul 28th, 2011 15:33

As Andrew said SRS re-sets are a reet pain ..... which is why my Steering wheel is STILL about 5 Degrees off Central .. There aint NO WAY I'm disconnecting the damned Air bag just to straighten it up !!!

Keith

boardrider5050 Jul 28th, 2011 15:34

I tried disconnecting the battery over night as this worked on my old V40 for a different warning light but it didn't work.

If it self checks then why would the light need to be reset? If the fault was there it would just come straight back on. The light had never come on before I took the seat out and everything is back where it was now so I can't see how there could still be a fault?

This is a 2005 C70 (old shape) convertible. Wouldn't it be OBD2 compliant?

Cheers

The Hooded Claw Jul 28th, 2011 15:38

it IS OBD2 compliant but most Code Readers will not allow access to the SRS system.

& the SRS light comes on because there isa FAULT LOGGED in the System .... you may have "Cured" the Fault but as it "Remembers" the Fault being there you have to "TELL IT" that you've cured it .. i.e. Re-set the System ..

keith

boardrider5050 Jul 28th, 2011 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw (Post 955171)
it IS OBD2 compliant but most Code Readers will not allow access to the SRS system.

& the SRS light comes on because there isa FAULT LOGGED in the System .... you may have "Cured" the Fault but as it "Remembers" the Fault being there you have to "TELL IT" that you've cured it .. i.e. Re-set the System ..

keith

OK cool - that's what I thought and why I wanted a way of resetting it. Andrew's post threw me as he implied that if the fault had gone then the light would be going out on it's own as it would self check and reset it.

I'll try the soft start thing first as it can't do any harm and if that fails it's off to Volvo again..

Cheers

acshortt5 Jul 28th, 2011 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw (Post 955166)
As Andrew said SRS re-sets are a reet pain ..... which is why my Steering wheel is STILL about 5 Degrees off Central .. There aint NO WAY I'm disconnecting the damned Air bag just to straighten it up !!!

Keith

It's not difficult so long as you are methodical, and follow the procedures in VADIS.

I've recently swapped my steering wheel for a newer (less worn out) one with the wood trim. Took me 20 minutes.

Why is it 5 deg off central? Has the steering wheel been off before? If not then it's a tracking issue and should be corrected with the track rods.

acshortt5 Jul 28th, 2011 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardrider5050 (Post 955184)
OK cool - that's what I thought and why I wanted a way of resetting it. Andrew's post threw me as he implied that if the fault had gone then the light would be going out on it's own as it would self check and reset it.

I'll try the soft start thing first as it can't do any harm and if that fails it's off to Volvo again..

Cheers

If you can wait until later I will pull up the procedure on VADIS for you.

For me it was pos I, not pos II. But my car is earlier so probably has different software.

boardrider5050 Jul 28th, 2011 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by acshortt5 (Post 955194)

For me it was pos I, not pos II. But my car is earlier so probably has different software.

If there is a procedure that would be great. I just called Volvo and they want £25 + vat for what must be a 2 minute job plus they're miles away.

Thank you.

acshortt5 Jul 28th, 2011 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardrider5050 (Post 955198)
If there is a procedure that would be great. I just called Volvo and they want £25 + vat for what must be a 2 minute job plus they're miles away.

Thank you.

It'll be the procedure for removing/installing the seats (which will include instructions on how to do the airbag connections). Clearly you just need the last bit which you can try for nothing.

As you say if that doesn't work then it will have to go to volvo and if they will fix it for £30 then I'd do that when it's convenient.

For messing directly with the airbag stuff you need a VCT or DICE which can pull up the resistance readings on each of the sensors alongside the target ohm reading so you can see which sensors are "out".

boardrider5050 Jul 28th, 2011 17:42

That sounds ideal.

Thanks!

christheancient Jul 28th, 2011 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by acshortt5 (Post 955194)

Sorry! My boo-boo.

I should have said Position I. I must learn to take more water in it.

acshortt5 Jul 28th, 2011 20:29

Quick question: are the seats electric or manual?

Scratch that, doesn't matter.

The process is:

1). The seat must be grounded. This is due to the danger of static electricity.

2). Remove the negative battery terminal.

3). Remove seat belt from the seat rail.

4). Remove the panels over the seat rails.

5). Remove the four mounting bolts in the seat rails.

6). Remove the connectors under the seat.

7). Lift the seat straight up.

Installation is a reversal of removal. Tighten seats/floor to 40+\- 10nm.

With regard to the srs connector it has a separate bit that says:

Take care when separating the connectors. If the connector breaks the whole cable harness must be replaced.

Press on the side so that the bag goes over the edge.
Separate the connector.
Then it goes on to say about removing the clip which you don't need.

There's nothing about putting the ignition into a position before connecting the battery.

I hope this helps. Personally I'd take it to Volvo.

acshortt5 Jul 28th, 2011 21:02

However I have just looked at the procedure for doing the main srs module and that says that before reconnecting the battery, turn the key to position 2.

So you could try that and see if that fixes it.

boardrider5050 Jul 29th, 2011 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by acshortt5 (Post 955389)
Quick question: are the seats electric or manual?

Scratch that, doesn't matter.

The process is:

1). The seat must be grounded. This is due to the danger of static electricity.

2). Remove the negative battery terminal.

3). Remove seat belt from the seat rail.

4). Remove the panels over the seat rails.

5). Remove the four mounting bolts in the seat rails.

6). Remove the connectors under the seat.

7). Lift the seat straight up.

Installation is a reversal of removal. Tighten seats/floor to 40+\- 10nm.

With regard to the srs connector it has a separate bit that says:

Take care when separating the connectors. If the connector breaks the whole cable harness must be replaced.

Press on the side so that the bag goes over the edge.
Separate the connector.
Then it goes on to say about removing the clip which you don't need.

There's nothing about putting the ignition into a position before connecting the battery.

I hope this helps. Personally I'd take it to Volvo.

Sounds like exactly what I did apart from the important bit about disconnecting the earth lead! I don't think I touched the SRS connector unless it's one of the connectors under the seat mentioned in point 6.

I'll try position 1 and 2 and see if that works if not it's off to Volvo.

Thanks to all for your advice.

vjck_uk Aug 7th, 2011 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by christheancient (Post 955164)
Also...

Before reconnecting the battery, switch the ignition to position II, this sometimes helps by giving the electronics a 'soft' start. I discovered this tip somewhere in the forums (goodness knows where) when I was doing quite a bit of work on my V70 where I kept taking out the top half of the dash - and because of the passenger airbag, I always disconnected the battery. Each time I reconnected, I was getting the dreaded flashing up arrow for the auto box (cleared by starting, stopping and restarting about five times... a right pain).

Read the tip about the 'soft' start and never had the problem again.

Worth a try, anyway.

you could bring the steering wheel back to centre by altering one track rod out say half to one full turn and the other in by the same amount until it was central put a line on them with tippex

raymond1 Oct 29th, 2015 20:41

SRS service required urgently warning light 2007 s80

Horn problem disconnected negative battey terminal, removed steering wheel srs bag removed steering wheel, refitted wheel left air bag out for test run to check horn disconnect negative terminal wait 5 minutes reconnect wiring and refit airbag reconnect battery terminal, srs warning light stays on any advice on how to reset light

Richard_TD Oct 30th, 2015 07:26

Once it's on it's on, it can only be reset by plugging in. I have the kit to do it but I'm a bit far away in Fife (not impossibly so, if it comes to it).

Looking at the map I can see there is somebody in Dumfries with the VIDA-DICE kit to do it http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136759 The best thing would be to contact him.

TrueCompanionv70R Jan 5th, 2016 02:12

SRS service light cleared!

FYI- I went to Amazon.com and purchased the iCarsoft i906 for about $130.00 U.S. and had the fault read and cleared in 5 minutes. The most complicated part was downloading the software updates to my PC so that the unit would be up to date and that was a breeze.

Well worth the purchase as I now have the ability to access issues and their severity on my own! I am already enjoying the savings as my next service visit will now be almost $300.00 cheaper.

The fault stemmed from the installation of GROM Audio unit (I forgot to the disconnect the batt. ground). The dealership quoted me $200~$250 to do the install and I know they would've charged at least $100 to diagnose the fault and clear it AND the regular service reminder (which can be cleared w/o a DTC reader).

If you do get a DTC reader make SURE that it will be Volvo compatible. For $16 I discovered that the Autel MaxiScan MS300 is not, however it will work will lots of other vehicles like my Focus SVT.

bournricha Jan 5th, 2016 23:40

Quite a lot of mid range code readers will get into srs .I have one called a Launch CR123 from diagnostics world online .It cost about £150 I think and it does SRS no problem and for all makes .I am sure there may be something a little cheaper somewhere ,but actually it is probably one of the best purchases I have ever made particularly ,if you have, or repair, a number of different modern vehicles .Some kind of medium code reader is as essential as spanners nowadays and I WAS very old school, but have changed my ways out of necessity

Scotlad Jun 5th, 2017 23:26

SRS Airbag Service on 2002 Volvo V70

Richard,

I read this thread that you commented on and you mentioned that you might have the kit to reset this warning ? I was changing the blower motor behind the glovebox and I think I must have nudged something with the airbag and I hope I just need it reset. It was only that you mentioned you were in Fife that I thought if you still had the kit to do it that I might be able to ask for a favour in seeing if you can reset it.

Regards

Phil

DunkinBiskits Jun 6th, 2017 21:59

wrong section dude, this is the V70 mk1 section, try the s60/v70 section

Richard_TD Jun 6th, 2017 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotlad (Post 2282721)
Richard,

I read this thread that you commented on and you mentioned that you might have the kit to reset this warning ? I was changing the blower motor behind the glovebox and I think I must have nudged something with the airbag and I hope I just need it reset. It was only that you mentioned you were in Fife that I thought if you still had the kit to do it that I might be able to ask for a favour in seeing if you can reset it.

Regards

Phil

I can do that no problem, it'll only take a few minutes. PM me to organise a suitable time. Are you able to bring the car to me in Cupar?

byootox Jun 9th, 2017 22:44

You don't actually need Vadis to reset it, there's other tools like Autocom/Delphi, Launch etc that will do it.
Most garages should be able to put the light off for you.
The cheapo OBD tools won't work though you will need a tool a bit better.

richardbell556 Jun 19th, 2017 09:55

ppc

Default BSR code reader

Product Description
Reset service indicator
Read all DTCs
Erase all DTCs
Handles all control units

The ultimate diagnostic tool for Volvo is here - PPC® Diagnostic System! The diagnostic tool is developed by BSR and it can both read and erase DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and it can also reset the service reminder lamp (SRL). Its compact format makes it easy to use and carry around. Trouble shooting is easy and quick via the diagnostic outlet of the car (OBDII).

All control units, all trouble codes

PPC® Diagnostic System is able to both read and erase all DTCs for all control systems on a Volvo car. In an ordinary Volvo S60 there are more than 10 different control units that control the engine, transmission, ABS, airbag, radio, air conditioner, electric windows etc. PPC® can handle all control systems in the car, and it’s able to perform fault diagnostics on nearly 40 different control units and more than 8000 DTCs.

Unique product

The possibility to perform fault diagnostics on all control systems in a Volvo car, together with a beneficial pricing, makes PPC® Diagnostic System to a unique product on the market. Before it was impossible for independent workshops to perform a complete fault finding for a reasonable price. PPC® Diagnostic System makes that possible!

For who?

When you’ve worked with a car - repaired something, exchanged some parts, or just cut out the current – the car can indicate several DTCs despite that there is nothing wrong with the car. To get these DTCs erased you often have to spend a lot of time and money. PPC® Diagnostic System solves the problem!

We can recommend our product to:
Volvo workshops looking for portable equipment.
Independent workshops
Sheet-metal workers and auto paint shops
Alarm- and stereo installation contractors
Companies with a large car fleet e.g. taxi and car dealers
Private persons fixing at home

Vehicle coverage

PPC® Diagnostic System works with all Volvo from 2001-2007 but there are exceptions to be aware of.

Exceptions:

* S80 1999-2006 works
* S80 D/D5/TDI 1999-2000 does not work
* C70 98-05 does not work
* S/V40 96-04 does not work

petrohl34d Feb 6th, 2018 23:44

Just wanted to add my own experience of this from the last couple of days.

I transfered the leather seats from my old V70 into my new one a good while ago, and didn't realise that you had to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery beforehand, so I've been driving around with the SRS light on for such a long time now that I completely forgot about it the other day; and failed MOT as a result.

I then bought VIDA and DICE and got them running after a bit of fiddling.

Initially the DICE unit wouldn't turn on, even when connected to the OBD II port where it draws power from. I traced the reason for this back to the number 5, 15A fuse which shares the duty of climate control and diagnostics.

My AC pump is blown, and I've just bypassed it with a non-AC belt, but every time I put a new fuse in and turned the engine on, it would immediately blow the fuse. So I unplugged the electrical connector from the AC pump, replaced the fuse and hey presto, no more blown fuses.

So with VIDA/DICE up and running, I used this video to navigate through the process of wiping the fault (It's a bad quality vid, but the info you need is in there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSUi0EqFrlo&t=3s

Even after following this process, and then following the final instructions to turn ignition off, turn engine on and rev to 1500rpm, turn engine off, and then turn it on and let idle for 20 seconds, the SRS light was still coming on.

So I followed the process from a couple of posts back in this thread.
  1. Disconnected negative battery terminal
  2. Made sure all the leads were connected underneath the seats
  3. Erased the faults with VIDA/DICE, and then ran through the engine off/engine on process

Boom, no more SRS light.

twostrokekid Mar 8th, 2018 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueCompanionv70R (Post 2036302)
FYI- I went to Amazon.com and purchased the iCarsoft i906 for about $130.00 U.S. and had the fault read and cleared in 5 minutes. The most complicated part was downloading the software updates to my PC so that the unit would be up to date and that was a breeze.

Well worth the purchase as I now have the ability to access issues and their severity on my own! I am already enjoying the savings as my next service visit will now be almost $300.00 cheaper.

The fault stemmed from the installation of GROM Audio unit (I forgot to the disconnect the batt. ground). The dealership quoted me $200~$250 to do the install and I know they would've charged at least $100 to diagnose the fault and clear it AND the regular service reminder (which can be cleared w/o a DTC reader).

If you do get a DTC reader make SURE that it will be Volvo compatible. For $16 I discovered that the Autel MaxiScan MS300 is not, however it will work will lots of other vehicles like my Focus SVT.

Absolutely agree with this. I had a red light SRS code the other day and decided against taking it to a main dealer as they would impound the car until they had "fixed" it. I disconected the battery, cleaned up all the plugs and sockets underneath the seats and reset the code with the iCarsoft i906 that I got for £96. I've now got my SRS problem fixed at home and an excellent diagnostic tool for the future.

edinburger Aug 19th, 2019 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_TD (Post 2002500)
Once it's on it's on, it can only be reset by plugging in. I have the kit to do it but I'm a bit far away in Fife (not impossibly so, if it comes to it).

Looking at the map I can see there is somebody in Dumfries with the VIDA-DICE kit to do it http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=136759 The best thing would be to contact him.

I am in edinburgh, i need your help please. thanks