Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: How many have we lost this year? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51216)

146ken Jan 14th, 2008 19:49

How many have we lost this year?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks. It is about a year since I obtained a list from DVLA of all current registered and SORN 200 series cars. I still get a steady flow of PMs concerning it. It seems about time to request the info again and see how things have changed.

I am going to try and push them to be a bit more informative than last time, where they limited it to model number and letter code (eg 244, 262C, 240GLT etc) and separate entries for Automatics. ( see list attached)
I'm hoping to get a more detailed breakdown of numbers left for each year and differentiation between saloon and estate 240s, and also 2l and 2.3l engines. Bearing in mind that the info has to be on the V5 document and can't breach privacy, what else do you think we should ask for.

dan 244 Jan 14th, 2008 23:54

This is excelent, I did not even know DVLA would give any info at all, think colour would also be ineresting, but the more catogries the bigger list.

What do the P numbers meen, and the s/r is that sun roof.

I have three 244's a 1977 DL 2.1 (59000 miles), an 1979 244 DL 2.1 with sun roof option (12000 miles !), and a 1980 244 DL 2.1 (40000 miles). All regestered sorn for the winter, but taxed and used in the summer.

So a sorn regerstration could meen laid up for winter, or that the car is long term of road for future renervation, or it is being broken.

All very interesting thanks, how soon do you think that you will be getting an updated list.

Also no mention of turbo models, I konw somone who is looking at a 245 turbo and we wondered how rare they are.

Glen Morangie Jan 15th, 2008 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 146ken (Post 351238)
Bearing in mind that the info has to be on the V5 document and can't breach privacy, what else do you think we should ask for.

I think it would be useful to try and find out what the codes mean - it may answer the other questions. For example I can see more than one entry for 240 DL (presumably manual as auto's are listed separately).

Possibly one's 'up to 2 litre', and the other 'over 2 litre' - just guessing as the DVLA categories may not line up with model variations, although nice if they do.

DarrenK Jan 15th, 2008 07:48

Great idea again. :thumbs_up:

If your going to try and get more specific details about the cars then the engine size and body type would be a big advantage. I wouldn't ask them specificly about x engine, just enquire about getting details of the cylinder capacity for each vehicle on the list (could be some interesting conversions out there)!

The colour of each vehicle would be an extra bonus.

Also, this might not appeal so much to anybody else, but would it be possible for you to find out of the list they are providing coverers Northern Ireland registered vehicles aswell as GB vehicles? And if so, is there any possible chance of getting such information to tell us weather each vehicle is registered in GB or NI?

chesters6 Jan 15th, 2008 14:01

yes i am confused about the initial code "P1192" for example ,can you find out what it means or am i just thick and you experts are now raising eyebrows at the newbie:notworthy:

i wonder what the 264 GL is and how lucky the chap is who has it

err what is a 264?

CTCNetwork Jan 15th, 2008 14:11

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesters6 (Post 351663)
yes i am confused about the initial code "P1192" for example ,can you find out what it means or am i just thick and you experts are now raising eyebrows at the newbie:notworthy:

i wonder what the 264 GL is and how lucky the chap is who has it

err what is a 264?

P codes are "generic" in that they come from 3rd party readers..

A 264 is a 4 door saloon, 200 series and theoretically a 6 cylinder engine..
Slightly different styling and creature comforts to the 240's..

Des. . . ;)

niloc Jan 15th, 2008 14:17

It amazes me that nearly 14% are SORNed....

Steve and his 244 Jan 15th, 2008 14:28

remember that some are sorned but still in useable condition.....cant think of an example though....:D hehe!

Steve

146ken Jan 15th, 2008 14:41

Last year when I got the list the guy I dealt with at DVLA seemed surprised to be asked for this sort of stuff, and didn't come through with much detail. I think a bit of effort to explain what we want and some flattery might elicit some more info, but it is limited to whats on the V5 document for each vehicle. Have a look at yours and then you can get an idea what sort of database they hold. Bear in mind that they want to answer these requests as cheaply as possible, and also within the bounds of the data protection act.

Everything they have on their database has been paid for out of the public purse and by rights belongs to all of us. If you feel that information gathered by public bodies should be available to all then why not join a campaign for proper freedom of information, not the half hearted act we have at present.

A different approach would be to find some really clever bugger who could hack their way into DVLA and liberate the info we want. Anyone out there?

chesters6 Jan 15th, 2008 14:57

i expect the last line knowing the govs record is done with alarming regularity from all over the world:thumbs_down: