Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Stereo/DVD: Centre Speaker - should it work? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=69072)

bakerman Mar 23rd, 2009 14:05

Centre Speaker - should it work?

Hi all

Recent graduate to Volvo XC90 (been dying to come back to Volvo since had to get rid of the C70 5 years ago!)
I have just purchased a 2003 SE diesel........

My audio says "High Performance Audio" when switched on, it has a centre speaker on the dashboard... and no sound comes from this speaker no matter what i try.... The audio menus have no mention of dolby/surround etc when going through them - only the usual treble, bass, balance and Front and Rear Equalizor settings..... I have the 6 CD changer in the head unit and rear headphone sockets..

My Questions are: should the centre speaker work? how do I get it to work? or is it just a blanking grille with no speaker underneath? (haven't worked out/daren't try to pull it out yet)

Any help greatfully received. I think this car is great - but the centre speaker winks at me everytime I get in - goading me in fact. (its always the little things!)

Further - been loitering around here for a few months and a big thank you to all contributing members. You educated me very well in what to look for when buying used - a great help thank you.....My only unanswered question is do I have 4wheel drive!! only time will tell? At nearly 40mpg quite regularly I am assuming 2?

regards
Kevin

Lzygo Mar 23rd, 2009 18:27

Hmmm I am no expert (I have a 2009 xc90 and that has no sound out of there either) my guess is that it's a blanking plate as I think the Garmin Sat Nav unit volvo supply (at a ridiculas cost) sits on it and I assume wires in through it.

Ron_XC90 Mar 23rd, 2009 18:45

There is no centre speaker with the high performance pack, it's only a cover.
You only have a centre speaker with the pro-logic system which is an optional extra on the SE spec

4wheeldriver Mar 23rd, 2009 19:33

Ive the high performance in my se and the grills there but thats also where the satnav pops out of. My S60 had the Dolby and it had a speaker in there with the sat nav.

bakerman Mar 24th, 2009 08:33

Thanks for your responses gentlemen.
I will just have to put up with it goading me for ever more and think of what could of been...
Still - its still a lovely sound, even without it......
Till next time...
Kevin

coco123 Jan 6th, 2011 10:05

hello Kevin
i am sorry i can't send message to u
because i am a new member
now i attached a web,then you can send me email
http://www.xcaraudio.com/Shop/HDGPS/201002/22.html

TruckbusUK Jan 6th, 2011 14:39

My 09 SE LUX has a speaker under the dash grille, and it works .... no extra badges and as far as I'm aware its the bog std XC90 system, I didnt ask or pay/order any upgrade when purchasing the car .... its says premier sound on the dash display when you switch it on.

:err:

reggie59 Jan 6th, 2011 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerman (Post 481424)
Hi all

Recent graduate to Volvo XC90 (been dying to come back to Volvo since had to get rid of the C70 5 years ago!)
I have just purchased a 2003 SE diesel........

My audio says "High Performance Audio" when switched on, it has a centre speaker on the dashboard... and no sound comes from this speaker no matter what i try.... The audio menus have no mention of dolby/surround etc when going through them - only the usual treble, bass, balance and Front and Rear Equalizor settings..... I have the 6 CD changer in the head unit and rear headphone sockets..

My Questions are: should the centre speaker work? how do I get it to work? or is it just a blanking grille with no speaker underneath? (haven't worked out/daren't try to pull it out yet)

Any help greatfully received. I think this car is great - but the centre speaker winks at me everytime I get in - goading me in fact. (its always the little things!)

Further - been loitering around here for a few months and a big thank you to all contributing members. You educated me very well in what to look for when buying used - a great help thank you.....My only unanswered question is do I have 4wheel drive!! only time will tell? At nearly 40mpg quite regularly I am assuming 2?

regards
Kevin

Only cars with the premium sound system have the central speaker and even those with it (like the exec) do not have the central speaker if fitted with the ill designed volvo sat nav...

coco123 Jan 6th, 2011 15:49

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/was-p...5.html?page=24
hope this can help

reggie59 Jan 6th, 2011 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by coco123 (Post 811145)

Wo?
Ich kan nicht information uber Grill finden

hope this is sort of correct, my German is a bit rusted.
Seruously, what are we suppose to find?