Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   xc90 head rest monitor wiring 1995/96 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=59474)

davebarny57 Oct 8th, 2008 19:14

xc90 head rest monitor wiring 1995/96

I have purchased three xc90 monitors 1995/96 from ebay although i only require two
I would like to conect them to my sony dvd changer but the wiring connections are not the same all i require is the vidiio feed and the power feed as i will use an fm modulator to transfer the volume to the speakers i assume the monitors are 12v any help would be gratefully recieved the monitors the cable conections comfrom the bottom of the monitor on a push in block connector and then a small jack plug and a six pin conector for the rest

cumbrianmale Oct 8th, 2008 20:28

Will move this to the xc90 board as they will be best placed to answer

davebarny57 Oct 8th, 2008 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumbrianmale (Post 412464)
Will move this to the xc90 board as they will be best placed to answer

thank you

v8disco Oct 13th, 2008 22:19

I had to change the wiring on XC90 monitors when I fitted them to my V70 and it is quite straightforward.

Basically just chop off the large 6 or 8 way connector and identify the red and black at one end that have slightly shinier insulation than the rest. These are your power and earth. Then select the yellow (and its earth) which is your video, and that is it. Connect these, tape back the rest and job done.

If you want to convert to RCA type connectors, you could do what I did and buy a cheap short scart to RCA lead (mine were £3 from Tesco). Then remove the scart end and all you need to do is join the monitor yellow and black to the adaptor lead and you can then plug the yellow into your dvd player. I dont think your player can feed the power but if you dont want to hardwire into the cars wiring, buy a cigarette socker adaptor and just wire both screen power and earths into that.

Best to solder all joins and cover with heatshrink.

Hope this helps

Martin

mvpguerra Dec 5th, 2008 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8disco (Post 414126)
I had to change the wiring on XC90 monitors when I fitted them to my V70 and it is quite straightforward.

Basically just chop off the large 6 or 8 way connector and identify the red and black at one end that have slightly shinier insulation than the rest. These are your power and earth. Then select the yellow (and its earth) which is your video, and that is it. Connect these, tape back the rest and job done.

If you want to convert to RCA type connectors, you could do what I did and buy a cheap short scart to RCA lead (mine were £3 from Tesco). Then remove the scart end and all you need to do is join the monitor yellow and black to the adaptor lead and you can then plug the yellow into your dvd player. I dont think your player can feed the power but if you dont want to hardwire into the cars wiring, buy a cigarette socker adaptor and just wire both screen power and earths into that.

Best to solder all joins and cover with heatshrink.

Hope this helps

Martin

Dear Martin,

Your answer is just what I was looking for! I also have a 2003 V70 (D5) and I wanted to fit it with XC90 headrest with integrated LCD. The way you explained it makes it look very straightfoward. Just to be shure: the XC90 headrests are fully compatible on a V70? I also have another issue: I wanted to keep the telephone speaker from the V70... Do you think that can be done based on your experience? It looks like the headrests have a zipper underneath, can it be easily accessed?

Cheers.

elliott2 Apr 4th, 2009 22:38

Hi, I should be able to clear this up for everybody! There were two rear seat entertainment systems for the XC90, one was designed by Visteon for Volvo Sweden and was fitted in the executive this had a single DVD player in the centre console with non swivel monitors, the other was designed by me for Volvo UK, this has two swivel monitors and a 10 disc DVD player fitted under the boot floor. I am still able to offer all parts, please email me privately so I can deal with each request individually. This is genuine, I advertise on EBAY as well and I am able to fit complete systems, the headrest monitors have been fully crash tested with Volvo, hope this helps, Peter

Stevepvolvo Jan 14th, 2010 22:21

Hi
Am new to this forum as am attemting to set up an Rear Screen Entertainment system in a 2007 (old type model) XC70. From the knowledge I have gained in this forum for other queries I have had, I thought I would join so that I could pose some questions.
Regarding the monitors mentioned in this thread I have also purchased two XC90 headrests with monitors that have the same leads mentioned above, ie a 6 way block with red, yellow and white leads with matching black earths and a separate screened 3.5mm socket.
I would normally expect a separate power lead as usually the red and white are audio left and right and yellow is video. However, there is no separate power so having read this thread I tried powering the red and its earth lead. However, this has no affect. I have tried both units one which still has the manufacturers screen protector on.
So, either both units are dead which is odd as this was from a new fit that someone attempted (yes they may have blown them) or I am missing something.
I was therefore curious as to whether member who had the apparent same screens had gotten them to work?
The units are marked with the code CHM-5811A on the rear but no manufacturer name. No internet search has revealed anything for that code.
Many thanks
Steve

andyhep1702 Mar 7th, 2012 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott2 (Post 487769)
Hi, I should be able to clear this up for everybody! There were two rear seat entertainment systems for the XC90, one was designed by Visteon for Volvo Sweden and was fitted in the executive this had a single DVD player in the centre console with non swivel monitors, the other was designed by me for Volvo UK, this has two swivel monitors and a 10 disc DVD player fitted under the boot floor. I am still able to offer all parts, please email me privately so I can deal with each request individually. This is genuine, I advertise on EBAY as well and I am able to fit complete systems, the headrest monitors have been fully crash tested with Volvo, hope this helps, Peter

I have read all the posts to this thread but want to be sure that the swivel type monitors can be hard wired direct to 12v from a 'cigarette' outlet (local dealer suggested that they may only need 5V) although the back of the screen says 12V and 11w, so I guess an inline 1A fuse will give the necessary protection? Am I also correct in saying the 3.5mm jack plug is the audio in?

jayeoell May 21st, 2012 13:28

In car DVD cable fault

I hope someone can help. I've just purchased a Volvo XC90 54 plate with the in-car headrest DVD mounts. It's the one with the 10 Disc changer in the boot. The right side screen has failed and on inspection and after some trial and error I narrowed the fault down to the White Flex Ribbon Cable that connects the mount electronics into the screen itself. Both screen and mount work when tried in the left side setting so the cable is the faulty area. I'm having some difficulty finding an exact match for this cable as they all seem to be a bit wider these days. I'm looking for an Eunsung E129545 AWM 2896 80C VW-1 or equivalent. It has 20 pins on both ends, is about 20mm wide and 6 inches long.
Any chance of anyone sourcing me one? If so could you let me know a price? Alternatively if you could point me towards a good supplier online I'd be most grateful.

ambit Jun 3rd, 2012 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliott2 (Post 487769)

Peter, are you able to PM me with your contact details? I have a 2004 V70R with the swivel rear headrest monitors. Boot mounted DVD player is missing, it does seem to have a PAL TV tuner? fitted under the rear boot floor panelling. Just trying to get the system up and running agaain. All wiring looms are in place. Also sat nav boot mounted DVD player is missing. Thanks.