Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "Optimax" anyone..???? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11923)

Dave M Sep 17th, 2002 16:54

"Optimax" anyone..????

Well.... any one dared try this at home??

Just curious to see if any one has fired a tnakful in the Ol' girl with good or bad results, especially in the old B280 V6 engines:-)

Just some of the mates have tried it and raved all about it:-)

Curious......

Regards
Dave M

GorgeousGeorge Sep 17th, 2002 17:01

RE: "Optimax" anyone..????

yep, use this all the time in the 2.0T, it was pointed out on this site before that optimax is 98RON or above whereas the BP Super is only 97RON

scott

Mike Clift Sep 18th, 2002 16:54

My nearest Shell garage is a 32 mile round trip so don't get to fill up with it too often. However when I have the car definitely runs better.

Mind you, as I never go above 30 mph anyway it probably doesn'y make much difference!

Mike
V40 T4 SE Auto

Dave M Sep 18th, 2002 18:54

Say .....Your T4, It's not white per chance with a fluorescent Yellow jacket on the rear parcel shelf is it??? Blue lights optional extras??? :-)

Just curious...

Regards
Dave M

Mike Clift Sep 18th, 2002 19:30

How did you know that?

Matt360 Sep 18th, 2002 22:18

Hi All,

tried it in my 2.0 360 carb man

erm what was supposed to happen where was this sudden burst of speed when i put my foot down..

thinking about it how does the petrol know when ive put my foot down so that it releases that extra burst of speed

more bangs per buck NO

more hype per ad probably

seem to remember about the extra agent added by esso or maybe

shell in the 80,s the unique engine cleaning additive...

how much did they add to a tankerfull???

and how much was needed to clean the engine??

call me a cynic but

shell optimax was a non starter

matt

Dan F Sep 19th, 2002 13:35

RE:

Hi.

Optimax will just minimise the chance of pinking, which in modern engines allows the ECU to advance the ignition to its maximum setting.
I don't think your 360 will have a knock sensor, and certainly no engine management, so the ignition although it is electronic, will not be able to compensate. The GLT with electronic ignition may be a different ballgame however.....
You need to get your ignition advanced a bit to take advantage of it I think.

With my T4, 98+RON is a must, as resistance to knock is paramount.
Also with a full engine managment system, the computer can compensate automatically and release more power which is commensurate with advanced, and hence more efficient, ignition timing.

Cheers,
Dan.

brainsaw Sep 20th, 2002 02:11

RE:

Tried it in many vehicles from me t5 to me 600cc single bike... and I always notice on the 1st tank but the effect seems to wear off... so I will put normal in for a while and not notice it being any worse...

Probly due to the cleaning effect!

Dan F Sep 20th, 2002 11:27

RE:

Hi.

Of course you won't notice anything after the first tank as the effect won't change from after the first one as you are putting the same thing in.
;-)

I have found the 98 ron to be the best insurance I can have against engine damage, especially on a HPT car such as mine.

Cheers,
Dan.

pettaw Sep 21st, 2002 16:26

RE:

No point putting it into any car that doesn't have a 'floating' ign and fuel timing system, so it won't help much at all in a 360, although it might make it run a little bit smoother, it won't increase the power, because the engine won't be able to adjust to take advantage of it.