Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Gearbox issue - oil? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287180)

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 18:27

Gearbox issue - oil?

I’ve just picked up my 2003 XC90 D5 Auto from the garage, after having the gearbox removed to replace a leaking core plug

The gearbox is now slipping into 3rd, and when stationary, it clunks forward every now and then. I had the gearbox oil changed whilst the repair was being done. I’ve checked the level and it’s ok. I’ve spoken to the mechanic (a friend), and he’s said he drained it out the bottom, and refilled it via the level tube. He’s now text me saying he thinks it takes a special oil, and it’s just been filled with ATF?

My question is, does it take a special oil, if so what? And is there a special way to drain and fill them?

Thanks

S60D5-185 Oct 5th, 2018 18:37

For your car I would think it should be JWS 3309 spec ONLY.

Check yourself but normal generic ATF ? NO !

Check properly and totally refill with correct fluid. Draining via sump will only remove half. Use Gibbons method and hope that you get away with it.

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 18:40

I really hope this hasn’t damaged a previously working fine gearbox, it’s been driven around 25 miles like this...

XC90Mk1 Oct 5th, 2018 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faxo (Post 2454447)
I really hope this hasn’t damaged a previously working fine gearbox, it’s been driven around 25 miles like this...

I wouldn’t think that it has. But yes it should use jws3309 and not standard atf fluid

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 19:55

Tomorrow will mostly involve me flushing the gearbox then!

Thanks

S60D5-185 Oct 5th, 2018 20:09

Ignore the oil that this guy uses and also the fact that he has installed an extra filter.

Follow this procedure with JWS 3309 and it will flush the box through with fresh fluid.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

XC90Mk1 Oct 5th, 2018 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2454475)
Ignore the oil that this guy uses and also the fact that he has installed an extra filter.

Follow this procedure with JWS 3309 and it will flush the box through with fresh fluid.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That’s a good video...

Faxo Oct 5th, 2018 20:52

I watched one further up, where the guy used washing machine pipe that fit flush over the hole in the cooler and drained 1.5l at a time, where as themrother videos use clear pipe that go into the hole and drained it until it ran out

Does anyone know where I can get the correct diameter clear hose from?

cheshired5 Oct 5th, 2018 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faxo (Post 2454494)
Does anyone know where I can get the correct diameter clear hose from?

B&Q sell it. Around 12mm ID but you can confirm by carefully removing the top oil cooler hose from the radiator and measuring.

oragex Oct 5th, 2018 23:10

I have my doubts.. don't think even with non standard fluid it should be behaving like that all of a sudden.