Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1800: Injection to Carb (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311922)

powen1 Nov 20th, 2020 14:34

Injection to Carb

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Can someone advise me on removing the cabling and ECU on my P1800E - when I bought the car it had been converted to Carbs over a year or so now.
I am now trying to clean up the engine bay and remove the cabling as per the picture.
All the cables on the left hand side have been disconnected and anything they were connected to ie injection relays have gone, I notice the cable also feeds the right hand side where the voltage reg is etc,
Has anyone done this before and is their anything I need to look out for
many Thanks

142 Guy Nov 20th, 2020 20:38

The D jet harness is separate from the rest of the vehicle harness so removal is straightforward.

The easy way - cut the harness close to the firewall. Go into the interior and reach up and pull the remains of the harness into the car. I am not up on the details of the 1800E (particularly RHD cars) so you may need to remove some of the trim under the dash to gain access. Presumably the controller has already been removed in which case you should be able to remove the remains in one piece. There may be a single wire for the fuel pump which has a single connector that is easily disconnected. You will have to figure out how you are going to plug the large hole left in the firewall after removal of the harness.

If the harness is in reasonable shape it may have some value to other 1800E owners. The harness can be removed without cutting. You will nee to push the bulk of the harness back into the interior and then push the individual harness branches into the interior. Removing the rubber boots on the connectors will make this much easier as will some silicone lubricant sprayed on the harness covering and the surrounding grommet.

The terminal connector to the D jet controller (in the interior) is rather bulky and I am not sure that it would go through the firewall opening which is why I think you need to pull the outside stuff into the interior. However, once you set eyes on the terminal connector it may be possible to shove it through the firewall hole and 'pull the insides out'.

powen1 Nov 21st, 2020 14:23

Many Thanks 142 guy very comprehensive - this is what I though when looking at it, Interesting you mention the fuel pump relay as mine still runs ok and I haven't found out where the relay is for this , The one under the bonnet did nothing.
The car was converted before I got it and I notice I am running a durite 0-296-12 14v Suction pump. My only conclusion at the moment is that it may be wired direct to IGN supply Investigations on going , thanks

sleek lemur Nov 24th, 2020 00:31

Thanks both for this post. My E has also been converted to carbs and I need to do this job, so much appreciated, 142!

powen1 Nov 24th, 2020 17:27

Sleek lemur
I have now removed mine not too much of an issue but you will find the cables going to the other side of the engine bay I believe connect back to fuse box under dash, I tried chasing mine but ended up cutting in engine bay as would not pull back to under dash and shares sleeve with other cables, Shout if you need a chat.
Paul

powen1 Nov 24th, 2020 17:37

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by powen1 (Post 2684313)
Sleek lemur
I have now removed mine not too much of an issue but you will find the cables going to the other side of the engine bay I believe connect back to fuse box under dash, I tried chasing mine but ended up cutting in engine bay as would not pull back to under dash and shares sleeve with other cables, Shout if you need a chat.
Paul

Added pictures to assist

142 Guy Nov 24th, 2020 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by powen1 (Post 2684313)
Sleek lemur
Paul

The hazards of providing advice based upon 140 experience!

On the 140, the dedicated fuse for the fuel pump is mounted in a separate box in the engine compartment which also held the fuses for the fog lamps on the GL models. When you removed the D jet portion of engine wiring harness you just disconnect the harness from the fuse box and you are good to go. Not so on the 1800 E.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/documen...E%20Wiring.pdf

As you have discovered, the fuse for the fuel pump uses a shared fuse (bad idea) on the main fuse panel. Its fuse #5. For good measure, both the fuel pump supply wire and the wire to the heated rear window switch are white/black which means that you have to test or trace to find the correct wire to remove.

I am a bit surprised that if the fuel pump supply from the fuse panel enters into another wrapped harness that Volvo did not install a connecting plug between the two. That would have facilitated installation at the factory. If your car is a 1970 (first year of D jet) maybe those improvements didn't occur until after they had run through the first year of production goofs.

sleek lemur Nov 24th, 2020 21:39

Thanks very much, Paul. Talk about timing! I have been meaning to do this job all summer. Now there's no excuse. Am sure I will have qns....

SL

powen1 Nov 24th, 2020 22:01

Thanks 142 Yes mine is a 1971 p1800e but not an E anymore :-) and definitly wired in from factory,
Cheers

Volvo6 Nov 25th, 2020 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by powen1 (Post 2684432)
Thanks 142 Yes mine is a 1971 p1800e but not an E anymore :-) and definitly wired in from factory,
Cheers

I don’t suppose you have any of the FI related hardware any more like the manifold or fuel rail?