Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Links to guide for changing brake pads/discs? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283087)

Porterpainter Jun 17th, 2018 20:53

Links to guide for changing brake pads/discs?

Hi All,

I want to replace the brake pads all around on my 2015 V40 D3.

I’ve had a search around and can’t seem to find any ‘how to’ guides or videos. Can anyone please point me in the direction if they know of a link, or to that if a different car/model with the same brakes?

Thanks
Andy

Petey80 Jun 18th, 2018 15:21

Fronts are the easiest;

Jacked up and on axle stands
Wheel off
Caliper guide bolts out
Caliper off and old pads out
Push piston back in by hand or G clamp
Fit new pads
Put back together
Pump the brakes

Rears are different.

Same way to start but the pistons need to be wound back in rather than pushed so you'll need a caliper rewind tool.

volvoid Jun 18th, 2018 18:03

Youve spent serious wedge on a 3-year old car, get a garage to do it.
At least, get someone to "help" you, show you how.
I cant help but think that if you need to ask Qs like this then perhaps you shouldnt be tinkering without supervision.

Charles Darwin is generally ignored these days in favour of anything-goes political correctness, but natural selection still works a treat. Play with jacks and brakes at your peril.

pookie Jun 18th, 2018 18:47

I'm a motor engineer and it genuinely terrifies me when people say this. If you want to work on safety systems and you don't know how, THEN DONT.

Salut!

Pookie

Porterpainter Jun 18th, 2018 22:09

Thanks for the comments (and the assumptions).

I’m perfectly competent home mechanic and brake pads are a pretty straight forward job for me. However I like to see what I’m doing before I get the wheels off (as it’ll be the first time with the Volvo), and make sure I have all the correct tools to hand.

Coaster23 Jan 9th, 2019 15:39

I have been looking for the same information , I have done the front which are very straightforward, I bought new stretch bolts for the caliper and the Volvo dealer gave me the correct torque settings for these , and the slider bolts, really no different to my S60 in procedure. I haven’t done the rears as I am unsure of the wind back / handbrake arrangement. Can’t believe no one has done this job before and posted something. Mines a V40 , D2 , 2012. I used Pagid discs from Eurocarparts when I did the fronts. Will let you know if I find anything , or post some pics when I do the rears.

Petey80 Jan 9th, 2019 18:38

I've just done the rear pads on my V50. Very easy and straight forward.

My progress thread might have some helpful info for you. Link below in my signature.

Whyman Jan 9th, 2019 18:51

I have replaced both the front ands rears on my XC60.

Genuine Volvo pads include a guide on the correct procedure.

For the fronts I had to buy a 9 mm hex Alan key socket, the instructions said either 7 or 9 so you will need to check before you start and if you have the electric handbrake you will need a torx bit to wind back the motor.

Buy the pads first and see what instructions you get.

Coaster23 Jan 9th, 2019 21:31

Thanks for that but photobucket pics not showing, not sure if V50 same as V40 , but could be wrong.

Petey80 Jan 9th, 2019 21:53

The disc and pads change is on the last page, or the one before.

You'll have to click k on "Last page" and work backwards, just posted a few updates recently.

Coaster23 Jan 10th, 2019 10:12

Got it, many thanks, looks like V50 / V40 are the same arrangement so that’s great. Cheers 👍